PDA

View Full Version : Sutter bypass fishing

02-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Hey all you bass popper guys.I have a question.
Has anyone fished the Sutter Bypass ? Peg leg Gus took me for a ride on the levey onetime and the place had great cover for bass. Is the current too strong for Float tubes or pontoons ? I beleave we went in on Sacramento Road. I want to try it this Spring when the water clears.
Thanks for your help.
Sturm

David Lee
02-03-2005, 11:21 PM
GUS ????? I haven't seen ol' Gus since I started this crazy fly stuff !! My pal Rick McCall (haven't seen Rick in 8 years ???) took me to Gus's place in Auburn , shot the breeze for several hours and hit a pond .... what a neat guy ! Is he still with us ? I still have one of Gus's #2 Muddler minnows he gave me - I was so friggin' green I had not yet started to tye w/ deer hair yet !
Ahhhhh , those were the days , everything was new and strange ....
Sturmer , I haven't fished S.B. , but whenever ya want to go lemmy know .... If Gus is around , tell him THANK YOU from me - if he isn't , let me know where he rests and I'll drop in and pay my respects . D.J.L.

Darian
02-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Hi Sturmer,..... Started many young, new Cat fisherman in the Sutter By-Pass. Lotsa giant Grass Carp and some sunfish caught there. However, in the part that I fish (where the conctrete bridge crosses the second slough), I never once caugh a Black Bass or Striper there. The current can be very strong and the water really never clears. Plus, it's one of the most prolific places on earth for Mosquitoes. I never fish it if the wind is not blowing..... :roll: :roll: The banks are steep and don't lend themselves to getting out (after jumping in) easily. :shock:

Thast being said, I fish it from the bank at night with a stout rod, revolving baitcaster reel with a freshwater clam fly :twisted: :twisted: , etc...... 8) 8) Good place for a BBQ/Beans/Beer, etc. 8) 8)

new-to-the-game
02-05-2005, 11:09 PM
If you like bumpin' cover, it's a kick in the pants. I've only fished it with spinning and baitcasting tackle. Usually you'll get your strike there just after you've dragged a spinner bait or jig over a log or branch. It's a lot of fun in a float tube, especially late summer when the current isn't as bad. I go at least twice a year to try to hook a few while I'm fighting the bugs! :D

Hairstacker
02-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Interesting that there are so many mosquitos at this Sutter By-Pass place (I've never been there). Fishing must be at least half decent to want to put up with bugs and keep going back. Funny thing, not once did I get bit by a mosquito in over 30 trips to the Delta last year. You would think the place would be loaded with them but narry a one....

David Lee
02-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Right !
So .... when are we all going ????
Er , uh ... guys ...?
:roll: :roll: :roll:
David :P

Hairstacker
02-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Hmmm... I'm not convinced it's worth it, ha. Although New-to-the-game has had some luck there, Darian paints a fairly grim picture. Is the attraction that it's fairly close to Sacramento? Is this actually a stream or a fancy ditch? :lol:

Hairstacker
02-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Ok, ok, I shouldn't be so negative. Can someone enlighten me as to what this place actually looks like, what kind of water and cover it has? New-to-the-game -- I assume you're catching largemouths out of there?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-06-2005, 01:24 AM
It might never clear enough.

We need to look at Cache Creek for Smallmouth?

Darian
02-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Hello everyone,..... For those who are unfamiliar with it, the By-Pass is an overflow area for Feather river water during high water years. There're channels/ditches running through it that contain water all of the time. The main channels/ditches are on the sides of the By-Pass. These ditches contain irrigation water that is run-off from rice or other fields and has a current even in dry periods. Needless to say, the water has a high content of herbicides/insecticides so I never keep a fish from that area.

For the most part, the bottom of these channels is uniform but there're areas where there are some deep holes and dead falls from the bank. The entrances to the channels are supposedly screened but fish get into the by-pass anyway. So, there is some fish habitat. The water is almost never clear; containing a high amount of sediment. The mosquito population is very high (clouds of 'em)..... :shock: If it's breezy, the "skeeters" don't have a chance to fly much. 8)

Friends that fish that area tell me that they catch Stripers, Black Bass and sunfish there. I've caught catfish and very few sunfish there. It doesn't much lend itself to fly fishing. Lures/bait are better up there.

For Mike,.... The delta has mosquitoes but is a windy area. Mosquitoes are poor fliers and don't appear to be present during windy periods but they are there. Also, mosquito abatement is carried out in the delta by each county.

Jgoding
02-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I fish the bypass all the time.... skeeters, I never seen no skeeters up there, LOL.. actually, it does have a lot of damn mosquitoes, all the irrigation ditches around it or something. I recommend the 100% deet formulation of OFF if you go there. They are not bad during the day, but soon as it starts cooling off.....
The water in the bypass is sourced from Shasta and it is used for irrigation, but it has water in it all year (and lots of it). During the rainy season or if we get heavy rains, it floods levee to levee. In between the levees, is usually rice, but some areas are not managed at all. It is a wildlife refuge area...so keep in mind, no handguns or rifles are allowed.

The bypass holds a lot of salmon young as well as bass, sunfish, carp, and catfish. If you come in on Sacramento Avenue off of HWY 99 you can see the fish ladder where some creek comes into it...

Water, is pretty warm most of the time and fairly deep. People do drown there due to the current. Where there are low water bridges, you can usually launch a boat etc... Water never clears, it's always brown/green with about 2 inches of visibility. Top water can be fun during summer evenings, but mostly jigs/bait fishermen there. Also, the bypass is a flood plain between two levees... each levee has a large slough that flows next to it...I would say.... 50-80ft wide in most areas...6-10 feet deep. I usually fish the north one as it is more permanent I believe. Cover is unbelievable in most places, lots of timber and weed beds, but not much structure in the bottom. Like someone said... banks are steep when the water is down, no real wading either... but a float tube might be nice, but there is some current. Fishing varies year to year but is usually pretty good. One evening I caught 30+ largemouth on the surface...most of the fish were good size 3-5 lbs.... It's a nice place to fish and hang out, but it can be a "shady" area during the evening.... People do dump bodies down there and stolen cars etc... and yes, I've seen it...