PDA

View Full Version : Carp

Hairstacker
02-01-2005, 12:54 PM
In the "Crappie" thread, Jeff brought up the subject of carp. I think he makes a great point about them looking like a fun fish to pursue. I've read that large carp are so powerful, they've been known to break fly rods. I know I've spotted them milling about in the shallows of the Delta, and they seem to be very easily spooked. It would be interesting to hear of others' experiences fly fishing for carp and any tips and patterns that have proven successful. I've heard nymph imitations work, like a hare's ear. Anyone fish a corn imitation successfully? :wink: By the way, I remember reading in one of the John Gierach books of a carp fly fishing tournament held annually back East (Utah or Idaho, maybe?)somewhere, where some folks are very secretive about their "killer" fly patterns to the point of painting over their clear plastic fly boxes....

Jgoding
02-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Dave Whitlock has a nice article about carp fishing on his website I believe. I know it's really big in europe as a pure sport fish. They grow very large so they can be hard in lighter tackle and yes, they are very intelligent and an easily spooked fish.

Lake Brittain has some monsters and would probably be a good bet during the spawn. Also has crappie and smallmouth......I hauled about a 3 foot carp in by the tail there many years ago and saw many fish bigger fish (I released her of course). The Ripparian reserve would be a good bet on the UCD campus, I've seen many there in spots where I like to fly fish and they're not too sizeable in those sections...15" or so but the slower water.... has some beasts that scare me.....

DJL has some good pointers....their first run will be about all they have probably, but it'll be one heck of a run....

David Lee
02-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Ahhhh , those evil Carp .....
I've hooked 4 or 5 . What a nightmare !!! Each one handed me my hat , if ya know what I mean - the fight always ended the same way (Carp happy to be free , me shaking like a leaf while re-tying ....) . Those devils would eat , I'd set up . Mr. Carp would make one SCREAMING run into a tree/log/rock/undercut and that was that .
Very aware , in-tune animals .... stalking them in small water is a pretty tough gig - its like they have ESP or something .... even when spotting them from 60 feet away , if you send out waves , poke your head out too far , or blink too hard , the game's over .
Five hook-ups out of several hundred cast to .... that's a pretty sorry record . FYI , two came to #10 olive beadhead Birdnests , the rest on #6 Dragonbuggers ... D.J.L.

Darian
02-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Hey David,..... For a second, I thought it was going to be another fish caught on an Olive Beadhead Wooly Bugger. :twisted:

My only contacts (of many) with "suckers" has been in large rivers. Hooked up with many of 'em while pursuing the "non-native Steelhead" :wink: in the AR and other valley rivers. They all did the same thing.... Head shaking, one brief run and then rolled over and said, "uncle".... 8) Of course using a fly outfit set up for steelhead probably doesn't give 'em a much of a chance to show their stuff.

The main pattern I caught 'em on was a comet pattern of my own. Incorporated unusual colors. Hook: Eagle Claw 1197N, size 6, Tail: black dyed Squirrel Tail, body: gold mylar braid: Hackle: silver doctor blue and purple saddles: Thread: Flourescent Orange. No eyes. Hmmmm,..... Kinda reminds me of.... (Oh, never mind :twisted: )

I guess I haven't given 'em much of a fair shake..... Europeans have tournaments for Carp fishin'. I always figured that was a British thing. 8)

Jay Murakoshi
02-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Carp are definitly a spooky fish. I have found that you have to spot them, figure out their path and make the cast well before they get to that point. There are at least two different types of "willing" carp. The ones you see on the surface are just sunning themselves. The others are the feeders. There are the tailers and the mudders, if you know what I mean

I will be at Kiene's Fly Shop on March 19th for a fly tying demo and will discuss carp fishing to anyone who wants to discuss the subject. Hook a 15lb carp on a 5 wt rod and it will be more than you can handle. Once the initial hook set has happened, they will take off like a huge bone fish and take you through the weeds and down stumps.

A great game fish

Jay

gryhackl
02-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Stacker
I had the opportunity of fishing a bunch of ponds in the foothills for about five years for bass and bluegill. The ponds also had some "giant" carp which you could readily see at the surface much of the time. They were sooper spooky and I could never get a fly near them without them leaving a wake like a teenager had just been thrown in! I was just as happy (I guess) that they never took.
I saw an article a couple of years ago about tying up some deer hair flies that immitated black raspberries that were growing nearby and dropping in the water. The carp were eating a lot of the berries and would take the deer hair immitations pretty well.

Jgoding
02-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Anyone know what species of carp are around?? I do believe we have a few different ones? I know there are grass carp which are "naturally" colored koi... and I do think they are protected.... but I'm not sure on this....

Jeff

Hairstacker
02-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Jeff, I checked out that Dave Whitlock article, thanks! Interesting that someone of Whitlock's stature puts the carp on his top ten list. Here's a direct quote:

"Any fish is fun to catch on a fly rod, but when a big carp takes a fly, it's more fun than any other freshwater fish. Why? Carp are more like the elite saltwater flats fish--bonefish, permit, redfish, and cubara snapper. They are faster than a trout, stronger than a permit, and have more staying power than a smallmouth bass."

High praise, indeed. David Lee's nightmarish experience makes them all the more intriguing....

Adam Grace
02-02-2005, 01:03 AM
If you want carp, check out Arden Pond (William B. pond) at the end of Arden Way, right aside the American River.

There are tons of large carp in the pond.

Hairstacker
02-02-2005, 01:10 AM
Adam, cool! Have you ever tried fishing for them? Any luck?

Darian -- Olive Beadhead Wooly Bugger, indeed. That is too funny! :lol:

Darian
02-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Jeff,.... have you seen the price of KOI recently :?: :?: :shock: If you're correct about Grass Carp being Koi (in natural colors) maybe we should start a commercial Grass Carp operation (do they change colors in captivity :?: )..... :twisted: :twisted: We could be rich. 8)

Jgoding
02-03-2005, 05:12 PM
OH, there's an idea. Not sure where the mutations originate from as with anything,there is always that chance. We'd probably have to spike the population with some Koi broodstock... and see what we get! And if anything, we could have a fishing pond with some bruisers in it :twisted:

Still trying to check on what species of carp we have here as well.... I don't think they're all grass carp....but the regs say any grass carp must be released for some reason too....

Jeff

Hairstacker
02-03-2005, 09:49 PM
While perusing the NCFFB, I came across this post from June 2003 that I though you all might find informative:

Now is the time for some serious carp fishing! If you're heading up to Black Butte Lake, try the north end where some of the creeks flow into the lake. You'll find a lot of shallow flats no more than 2 feet deep and pods of 4-10lb. carp roaming around. I used a 9' 5wt. rod with floating line and a brown-cinnamon wooly worm. You really need good polarized glasses and wade slowly to avoid spooking these fish. I caught 3 carp in one day, missed a couple of strikes but I spooked a heck of a lot more than that. This is a great, under-utilized resource which NOBODY uses. Plus, its great practice for when you DO go to the Bahamas. Enjoy."

Also, in this post, this writer stated that he caught an 8 lb carp "that suddenly takes off on a looong run, my reel is screaming and my rod is bent into a croquet hoop! I'm whooping and hollering, the people on the bank think I'm some nut case. Back and forth we tussle. The fish makes run after run, never getting tired..." Does sound like fun, doesn't it?

Darian
02-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Jeff,..... My Audubon Field Guide shows e types of carp in this area. The Goldfish, Grass Carp and the Common Carp. In addition, there're two fish listed that're difficult to separate from Carp. These two are Hardhead and Hitch (they may be minnows).

Hope this helps 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-05-2005, 12:13 AM
There are great big carp in this lake behind the grandkids in FL that actually tail along the shore in clear water eating something off the bottom?

Darian
02-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Hello everyone,..... copied the Following info from Blanton's BB (hopefully he won't mind :?: ) Thought it was funny (...and serious too):

'For those of you who are expert Carp fisherman, there is big money on the line coming this June. See below for an excerpt from today's Wall ST Journal article:

"Mr. Moore and the American Carp Society were instrumental in luring the World Carp Championship to the U.S. from its usual venues in France and Romania. The open tournament will be held in June on a 40 mile-stretch of the St. Lawrence River near Ogdensburg, N.Y. Two hundred two-man teams from as far away as Russia will fish around the clock for 115 hours. The team that catches the greatest total weight of carp takes home $100,000. Anyone who breaks the New York State record of 50 pounds, 4 ounces for a single carp gets $1 million, paid out over 40 years. The prize is guaranteed, for an $11,500 fee, by a Las Vegas odds-making company." '

Maybe I outta forward this to the California Lottery Comm. :P :P