PDA

View Full Version : Surf Perchin'

Darian
02-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Hello Everyone,..... Just read the fish report for the Brookings area (Chetco River, etc.). The 1/26 issue of the Curry-Pilot Newspaper reports that Surf Perch fishing is red hot. Bet the same is true for the area around the mouth of the Smith River (CA). 8) 8) The fish are running over a pound per fish..... :shock: Should be good throughout the spring.

Might just be time to get on up there. :D :D

David Lee
02-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Darian , I've never chased them . What kind (Barred , Redtails , pinkfins ...) are they ? Any Starrys in the estuarys ?
Play this one right and you might have a sidekick for a roadtrip ! :twisted:

Gregg
02-01-2005, 09:58 PM
I am really interested in the whole surf-perch gig. I know Jay is putting on a clinic, but unfortunatley I can't afford to attend (buying a house...but it is near the Yuba!!). I have an 8wt Scott A2, with either a floating, 200, or 300 grain line, as well as a variety of surf and inshore flies. Can anyone with a bit of experience give me a heads up on where and what to do? I'm going to try to learn this myself, at least for a while until I can take a clinic, so any info would be very helpful. In exchange, I can teach anyone how to prematurely set the hook on a nice fish and scare it off for the day ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jay Murakoshi
02-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey Gregg,

I know what it's like to put out the money for a house, especially if it's your first one. If you want to know more about perch'n, send me emails and I will help you out. Also, I will be at Kiene's on March 19th doing a fly tying demo from 10-4. I will be tying up a few perch flies along with striper, dorado, tarpon and others.
Never feel like you're left out or can't afford it right now. Later this year, if you're able to get away to the beach for a while I might be able to meet you for a couple hours.

I know with a new house, it will be tough

Jay

Darian
02-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi David,..... The types mentioned in the article was "surf Perch. I'm assumming that's a Redtail.... Guess it could be anything. 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
02-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Most of the perch you will find in the northern part of the state and along the beaches of Oregon are the red tail perch. They do get alot bigger than our barred surf perch you find along the central coast

Jay

Darian
02-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Hi Jay,..... Have you fished the beaches near the legal limit at the Mouth of the Mad River :?: Anything (equip't, etc.) different than perchin' down here :?:

It looks like the beaches in that area are deeper than around Clam Beach at little River. I'm very interested in that area.

k.hanley
02-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Say Hey Darian,
The perch up there are indeed Redtail (locally known as Pinkfins). John Shewey and I have had some epic adventures chasing these little surf busters. Great fun! I'm sure Jay and the gang will keep you on track with tackle selection. Be aware that the surf up north gets huge... especially this time of year. Many of the Southern Oregon/Extreme Northern California beaches don't show much variety in structure. They present you with long troughs. Stay on the move... don't marry any specific spot (unless you experience a red hot grab). I know others will chime in.
Cheers, Ken
PS: If you do get the opportunity to join one of our clinics that would be terrific. If you can't do that, hit the beaches and keep notes of your experiences. There is a learning curve to the Surf Zone.

Larry S
02-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Gregg and Darian:
You might want to check out this posting by a TimB on Gary Bulla's
board.
http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1522

This occurred in mid-January. Here in So. Cal, we fish a spot for several
casts; then move on until we locate the fish. If you have a chance,
pick up one of Ken Hanley's books. Lots of useful tips and techniques; not only for the beaches, but other environments, as well.
Larry S
San Diego

Darian
02-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Larry,.... Thanks for the info. Great post..... 8) Now I'm stoked :!: :!: