PDA

View Full Version : Crappie

Jay Murakoshi
01-31-2005, 11:30 PM
Now that I have relocated to the SJV, I have started searching for the bass, bluegill and crappie lakes.
I remember a few years back at Lake San Antonio in southern Monterey County the crappie bite was hot. We were fishing the shallows and came across a few large schools of GIANTS. The crappie ranged from 3lbs up to almost 4lbs. That size of fish is definitly fun on a 4 wt rod. Haven't had that kind of fishing for the past few years now but with all the rain that we've had, the lake should be fishing HOT this spring.
Speaking of HOT, don't forget Lake Naciemento for the spotted bass and the white bass. This is the only lake in California (legally) that supports this species of fish. Remember when we had 100 fish days shad fishing, the whites can be just as prolific. We get tired of fishing the whites and somtimes wonder off looking for spotted bass or most of the time the old "Golden" carp. Yep, I did say carp

My partner Ken & I will be doing a slide presentation on California Warm Water Fly Fishing at the San Mateo show this week. I believe we are scheduled for Thursday and Saturday, check the schedule to be sure

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-01-2005, 01:43 AM
We will see you on Thursday down there.

Maybe we will have to schedule some bass/panfish group fishouts this spring?

Jgoding
02-01-2005, 10:03 AM
I think a lot of people over-look carp around here....I know I've seen some monstrosities lurking around (i would have to say 30"+, weight....15lbs and up).....I don't think I even want to hook into one of those but the smaller fish (4-6 lbs) look like they would be fun....

That crappie fishing sounds fun, maybe I'll have to check it out this year.

Jeff

Jay Murakoshi
02-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Let me know where and when

Jay