PDA

View Full Version : What's working? on Putah Creek

SullyTM
01-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Now that I'm getting out of my own zip code to fly some of NorCal's better waters I looking to get back to Putah Creek for my second attempt. I spent most of my first trip a couple of weeks ago checking out the 5 Public Access sites leading down to the south end of Lake Berryessa. Are these posted access sites the best approach to Putah Creek? Any area of the creek better than the other? I used a couple of Wooly's and nymphs but any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks everyone. Thom

SteelieD
01-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey Thom, Have you checked out www.putahcreekflyfishing.com? The reports there have been spotty at best lately, but it has been my best source of info. With all the rain it sounds as though the creek has been like mud and not very heavily fished. I havn't been up since several days before Christmas (too busy and too much rain :( ) so I am not sure whats going on lately, but in the past I have had sucess on the generic nymph patterns, copper johns, prince, FB PT, zebra midges. Smaller usually seems better (18-22). I havn't yet tried any streamers.

Up by the bridge near Canyon Creek Resort is the easiest access, but I am partial to access #3. If you are up there mid week, you can usually find some solitude. Good luck and let us know how it goes. This is a great little stream with some big fish!

Oh yeah, it has been said before BUT... the NZ Mudsnails are there in force so be sure to clean and freeze you waders and boots before moving on
Good luck, Derek

Adam Grace
01-26-2005, 09:05 PM
I am by no means an expert on Putah Creek, but I have talked to many Putah fisherman at the shop. It seems that on Putah smaller is better. I would fish 18 & 20's in midge patterns and BWO nymph patterns like this Mercer's Trigger BWO Nymph below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/triggernymph.jpg

Tiny nymphs like micro caddis, micro mayflies, zebra midges, WD40's and the fly above (trigger nymph) have been known to work.

I also heard that there has been an increase of surface activity on Putah this year. Putah is not very well known for its dry fly fishing but hopefully that is changing. If the BWO's are emerging try dry fly emerging BWO pattern like the fly below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/bwosprout1.jpg

I wish that I could help more on fishing locations. I have only fished around the bridge right below the dam, and across from the trailer park below the bridge.

I don't think I'll fish Putah anytime soon because of the NZMS, I don't want the hassels off freezing or bleaching my wading gear.

Good luck out there on Putah :!:

DonCooksey
01-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Adam:

I wonder if we should start a separate forum on mudsnails. By the time they are reported in a particular area, I'll bet they have already been transmitted by fishermen who did not know they were getting established there. I think we are at a critical point where we may be able to limit their spread, but after that, it will be too late. I clean and freeze my boots, waders, and even fly boxes after each trip, whether ever I have been in California or in other states. We know little about the how invasive species like this are spread and established, so I think it is worth the extra caution. Of course, I don't have the good fortune of fishing every day, or even every week, so I know it is tougher for frequent fishers.

SullyTM
01-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Adam, Thanks for the pictures of the flies. I'll tie a couple and give them a try. I clean my boots, waders thoroughly. I also soak my boots in BOILING water. Boiling waters kills everything :!: Thom