PDA

View Full Version : Casts?

P. Johnson
01-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Hello All,
I get to talk with people all over the world, every day, about Spey Casting. One thing that continually comes up is the different types of casts we use in the United States. While we are really in our infancy on "this side of the pond", it is interesting to see the creative ways we come up with to cast.
My question is, what types of casts do you feel are you best tools. Maybe not the prettiest, maybe not the best named, but actually effective?
I would categorize them as River Left casts and River Right casts.
I will start this off by saying that I like a single spey, on both sides of the river. I just switch hands. To me, this is very effective and keeps my line in the water the longest without frothing the water up too much.....
next?

Moose
01-28-2005, 06:53 AM
From river left and with short to mid belly lines I like the single spey the way Dec Hogan performs it in his video. With the line at the dangle lifting up and in towards the bank to about 10 oclock, changing direction and breaking the line out and over the water into an upstream movement and then immediately into the D-loop once the rod tip has moved upstream of you. This cast leaves virtually no disturbance on the water except for the leader breaking the water at the dangle and then lighting on the water briefly at the apex of the D-loop.

For river right the snake roll is nicest, but of course these casts both require that the wind gods are in your favor.

Adam Grace
01-29-2005, 07:14 AM
I tend to fish the Snap-t more often than not while fishing on river left. I reverese it around sometimes for the river right and cast kack handed. While fishing river right I feel I have more control with my double spey, my shorter 12'8" 7wt doesn't quite roll out heads all that well with a snake roll for me.

The single spey is a great easy one motion(sort of) cast, nice and smooth.

Jeff Putnam
01-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Great question.
From river left and right I prefer the simple motion of a single spey. The Dec Hogan method will generate a little more line speed due to the longer stroke and this is good for a light headwind. I use a snap-t when I need a tighter loop for more wind and more distance with a shorter rod. The sprial single is probably my favorite for setting up a perry poke. This results in quite a bit of rod movement but wow, talk about setting up the "D" loop. Since the sprial single can easily place an anchor, if followed by the perry poke, actually maybe we should say just the "poke" part is used?, the "D" will form without the "anchor" being a concern because its already on the water, ooohhh.... sounds kinda "skagity".
Nothin' like the spey rod grab, Jeff

Rick J
02-01-2005, 08:10 AM
I generally use a snap T or reverse snake on river left and the snake or reverse snap t on river right (Wind dependent) though I am getting back to likeing the double spey on river right - just a nice relaxed cast and I like to relax!

Digger
02-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Is it true that most 'spey casts' can be used with regular fly rods?
I thought I heard this in some magazine or video.

Rick J
02-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Any spey cast can be used with a single handed or two handed rod - take a look at the Rio international Spey Tape and watch Simon demonstrate single handed spey tactics

Adam Grace
02-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Spey casting techniques can be very effective with a single handed rod. Jeff Putnam offers a class dedicated to single-handed spey casting. He labels his class as "a class to learn how to cast over 40' without a back cast." I strongly recommend this class.

Spey techniques can make a large improvment in your single-handed line control.

Call Jeff Putnam at 916/502-2037 or check out his website www.jpflyfishing.com.

You will be glad you learned these techniques.