PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of THOSE days ??

David Lee
01-25-2005, 07:51 PM
... You know the kind of day I'm talkin' about - the day where you "couldn't hit a Crackhead in a roomfull of Crackheads" , as we say here in North Sacramento ?? The kind of day where EVERYTHING that could go wrong goes wrong ?? I was on the A. a few years ago , who should motor up the river for a visit but Andy G. - great guy ! BIG pod of Steelies in the run .... I'm chatterin' away w/ Andy and drop 9 (that's right- NINE ) fish in a row !!?! I'm lucky to get nine of those devils to hit in a month ! Andy's looking at me with pity in his eyes .... I can't get the hook in to save my life ! Worst part , every hit is a total slam - rod wrenchin' grabs ... and what do I have to show for it ? That's right - NOTHING !!!
C'mon , lets hear it (if your ego will allow ...) - tell the story , and be forgiven (NOT !!!) :twisted: :twisted: David

Darian
01-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi David,...... Had one of those days in Baja last June when I was wading in water about Mid-thigh in depth. Very clear, looking around for "stuff". Had my rod in hand with about 10' of line out plus leader...... Hadn't had much action all AM and was about to call it quits to go get something to eat..... A good size surge pushed me back and when I looked down I saw a 30 lb Rooster swim by my knees close enough to touch. :shock: I was so shook up, I couldn't get off a cast before this fish was gone..... "Buck fever" :oops: :roll:

Guess I'm still alive if I can still get excited over this..... 8)

Hairstacker
01-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Nope, never happened to me, sorry. :wink: Although... there was the one time last fall when my Tap's Bug got blasted by a largemouth, I totally lost it and reared back on the rod, missed the strike completely, and NAILED myself right smack between the eyes, dead center, with that hairbug. I have since learned to duck.

PatrickM
01-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Eight in a row!? I was under the impression that you knew what you were doing, David. :lol:
I did have a rather large steelhead that I lost this year. After a good five minutes I had it in close and the net ready. It decided to take one last run, jumped about ten feet in front of me, and my flies hit me right in the chest. Doh!

David Lee
01-26-2005, 12:39 AM
Fellas , I believe what separates the "hardcore" fly guy from the weekender is having your ass handed to ya and NOT getting over it - you play back your failures in your mind .... over and over , trying to find a solution . I think I'm a better fisher because I've blown it so many times and I THINK more about mistakes . A game plan based on your trial -and- error experence is better than no game plan at all .
Just my opinion .... David

Gregg
01-26-2005, 01:34 AM
I know what you are talking about! While Adam graciously blames my last hookup on a strong fish (Skwala stones on the Yuba post), I really know that I tied a bad knot. The truth comes out! :cry: I keep thinking about that one, especially because it was the only solid hookup of the day, plus it was my 1st dry fly take this year! Grrrrr!

Hairstacker
01-26-2005, 01:00 PM
David, I hear what you're saying.... Last fall, as you know, I missed quite a few strikes and LDR'd more than I liked while fishing on top for bass. It has haunted me all through the winter, from thinking about how I strip line, to whether I should change the model hook I've been using, to whether to continue fishing barbless, etc. Ah well, keeps the mind occupied on nobler things I guess.

Jgoding
01-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Just remember, you can't catch them all! I think as with anything involving nature, there is always that "luck" factor and some days the fish's luck >>>>>> your luck.

mike N
01-26-2005, 10:03 PM
I lost 11 in a row one evening diring the fall half pounder run. It all took about 20 minutes and they were all on top.

MN