PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Suckers

SullyTM
01-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Sacramento Suckers? Here in the Concord/Pleasant Hill area I fish a local creek, Walnt Creek which has a very nice Chinook Salmon run in October-December. This winter the Sacramento Suckers are spawning in good numbers. They average nearly 24 inches, are pickey about eating and give a decent fight. I'm using my own pupae creations but any knowledge is always helpful. Thanks. Thom

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-25-2005, 01:35 AM
The lower American River is loaded with suckers.

It also has the Sacramento Squawfsih or Sacramento Pike.

The suckers are on the bottom with their mouth like a vaccum clearner.

The Squawfish has a mouth a little more like a gamefish in front.

They catch lots of suckers while indicator fishing the river for steelhead with nymphs.

My first "steelhead on a fly" for a short time till I saw it roll was an ~7 pound 'gold belly' sucker at Watt Avenue about 40 years ago. It was exciting.

http://www.krisweb.com/aqualife/sucker.gif

Picture from Klamath Resource Information System (KRIS) web site

Darian
01-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Hi Sully,..... Suckers/Squawfish were one of the first fish I caught in the american after moving to Sacto. During the low water years, they could be caught drifting a bright fly (Silver or Gold Comet, etc.). Seemed like there were so many of 'em the fly couldn 't get to a Steelhead or Salmon, first.

Interesting that these fish have become elevated in importance, recently. They're certainly not a beautiful fish but..... They do fight well initially on a light outfit.

Have fun 8)

SullyTM
01-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Darian...The SS may not be a glamour fish but they do get me out of the house for a few hours of practice. I caught 5 yesterday with my 6 wt using my own fly creations...Green Envy Clone, Crimson Beadhead and Walnut Creek Nymph and the largest was 24 inches. I'm breaking out my 30 year old 3 wt unit this weekend. After the Chinook finished spawning in mid-December I thought my season was over locally but on the way out of the creek I spotted these mini-torpedoes...Now, I'm hoping for a steelhead run...Enjoy.

David Lee
01-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Suckers have saved the day for me quite a few times . When "grab-bagging" on the A. w/ a sink tip , they are a scream ! I foul-hook a few on top of the nose , but most have eaten the fly fair . Shad flies , olive bead-head buggers , black leeches , and birdnest's have gotten most of them for me . My best was around 7 or 8 lbs. - great fighters !!
I release all of them , the Stripers got to eat , too ! D.J.L.

Darian
01-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi David,..... There's that Olive Beadhead Bugger again..... I do release all of the suckers I hook (....some intentionally :D :D ). If the stripers get 'em, that's OK, too. Everything's got its own role to play. 8) How philosophical.... :roll:

David Lee
01-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Darian , you have NO IDEA how much I hate that fly - the only reason I tye it is it out-fishes everything else about 5 to 1 ..... very hard to argue with those numbers , ya know ?
For some strange reason , I can't help feeling sorry for Suckers and Shad - I think that stupid look they always have on their little goofy fishie faces has something to do with it (anything out there look as silly , besides US ??) . See ya around , David

Hairstacker
01-25-2005, 09:40 PM
David, what I don't understand is WHY you hate that fly. With results like that? :? Based on your experience alone, I recently went out and bought all the materials for that pattern, including the #6 hooks, and I hope I have half the success you've had with it. I'll bet if more folks saw that stripe you caught on one, there'd be a run on olive crystal chenille and marabou! :lol:

David Lee
01-25-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi Mike , everyone has their "hang-ups" - mine is , I like my flies to look line SOMETHING .... You know , a Sculpin fly should look like a Sculpin , Dragonfly nymph should look like a REAL Dragonfly nymph . If I tye a Shad , well ..... it's gonna have eyes , a spot , a little stupid mouth ... you know .
That olive bugger only suggests food , it dosen't immitate any one thing - I'm just sort of funny about that (other things , as well ....) .
Call me crazy , I guess . David

Hairstacker
01-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean David. Among many other reasons, I like the red/white Tap's Bug 'cause it imitates traditional bass lures. :lol: :lol: :lol:

P. Johnson
01-26-2005, 09:56 AM
When I lived down in Fair Oaks, I used to fish around Bannister park almost every night. One evening, whilst fishing for the elusive striper, I tied into something quite large. Some chaps in boats came over to see what I had. That got a glimpse before I did and let the world know I had a really nice salmon on. I was pretty excited. I fought the fish for about 10-min. and got it close. I also saw the silver flash. Albeit fading light, I was confident that this was a nice salmon. I finally brought the fish in. To my disbelief, it was a 34 inch Squaw fish! I was shocked. They get a little more silver as they mature. Andy Guibord turned me on to snorkeling the river and I use to see them in small schools with large fish amidst them.
I was fishing a 2/0 Clouser. I made an upriver cast and the fly had just hit the water when the fish took it.
Still one of my proudest achievements :D

BSD
01-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Well, I recently fished the Russian and at the first grab I thought I just got into my first coastal steelhead. After less than I minute I knew it was a golden(sucker). Here is a pic everyone’s enjoyment and my disappointment. Same thing happened to me the first time I went shad fishing, I had a hookup and got all excited, only to find a squawfish on my fly. Better than nothing I guess, but it still leads to a big let down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/bduncan8/937417e6.jpg

Enjoy

SullyTM
01-26-2005, 04:07 PM
BSD...Nice picture. Yep, that's what I'm catching here locally. I don't use indicators as I'm still learning how to get a feel for my fly gear. They certaining don't bite like a salmon. Where on the Russian River are you flying for steelhead? Thanks. Thom

DonCooksey
01-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Someone mentioned Sacramento Squawfish (also called pike minnows) on this thread, so I thought I should chime in that I think they are another under-rated target for fly fishing. While shad fishing on the Yuba last July, I caught a 28-inch squawfish that put up a great fight. It actually circled me three or four times between runs out into the river before I worked it into a shallow area where I could unhook it. It was really fat and probably weighed at least 7 pounds. Although I was skunked as a shad fisherman that day, I was happy to leave the river after landing a big fish like that and smelling like it!