PDA

View Full Version : End of March destination suggestions ... Need help

BSD
01-23-2005, 08:53 PM
I will have a week off during the last week of March. I would like to take a trip for steelhead during this time. Can anyone make any suggestions? I am looking for locations anywhere in CA, OR, or WA. I have been to the Deschutes and was thinking to return but I am not sure about the timing. How about Chetco and Rogue rivers, do they have fish at the end of March? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Brian

Darian
01-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Why travel to another state?? The Smith has Steelhead thru April, there're Steelhead in the Klamath/Trinity system then..... What about Trout fishing on the lower/upper Sacramento River??

Of coiurse, there're also great rivers in Oregon that have spring runs. The Rogue for one.

I guess the choice is yours; vive le choice :twisted:

BSD
01-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Well, I would go to another state because I can! Actually, I am aware that there is still decent fishing here at that time. Last year the American was good to me into April. But I can fish the American, Trinity, Sac as a day trip whenever I have a day off. I will have a whole week off, so the idea is to have some more fun, explore, fish rivers I never fished before, etc. The Smith does sound like it might be a good choice, I have never been there so it would be nice to have a couple days to check it out. Maybe I can spend some time on the Smith and Eel rivers. That is one option I guess ... any other suggestions?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-25-2005, 02:02 AM
I think March is good on the Applegate River which is a tributary of the Rogue Rvier.

Also, March is very good on the Grande Ronde.

I think March could be good on many long steelhead rivers because the fish are on hatchs at that time, in places.

Upper Trinity
Upper Klamath
Lower Yuba
Lower Sacramento
Lower Feather
Lower American
Russian River

Darian
01-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Have you considered Pyramid Lake in Nevada?? Very good at that time of year. Average catch will be about 3-4 lbs with 10-15 fish days. Potential of 10 lb fish all on a fly from the shore (wading) :D :D ..... Lotsa good entertainment in Reno/sparks. Could combine a ski/ski board/fishing trip.... 8)

P. Johnson
01-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Hello,
I would really recommend Washington State. You can fish all around the Seattle area and you can fish out on the Olympic Peninsula.
Besides, you can actually swing for native 20# steelhead.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Don't rub it in Paul..........har har

Paul here use to work for us at Kiene's but is now the marketing manager for Sage Rod Company.

He grew up on the Olympic Peninsula so he is right at home now with all those Steelhead.

He has the terrible assignments like going to far away exotic desinations like Christmas Island, the Dean River, BC and Bikini Atoll to shoot pictures for next years catolog.

"It is a dirty job, somebody has to do it.................."

http://www.kiene.com/images/paul.jpg