PDA

View Full Version : Upper Putah Creek

Ryan
01-23-2005, 07:18 PM
I doubt many people know the answer to this question, but I was curious about the smallmouth bass fishing in upper putah. I drove up there today just to look at it with my friend, and there are a couple parts that looked like an awesome trout stream. It looked like the truckee in alot of parts, big rocks, chrystal clear, fast, shallow pocket water. I couldn't immagine bass living there.

Another interesting thing I found was in one of the other tributaries to Berryessa. There was a decent sized creek, and it had lots of whitewater, and fast little runs... well, as it got closer to the lake, the current slowed, and it opened up. At this point, it was about 25 feet wide, and 3-4 feet deep, and as I looked down I spotted a fish that was 18-19." I swear this thing was a trout, there is no way it was a bass, maybe it was a sucker? Well anyways, I wasn't sure if it was a fish or a rock at first, so I threw a small rock near the object, and sure enough, it shot upstream, then downstream, left, right, you get the point. Does anyone know what kind of fish this could have been?

Does anyone have any experience in this area? In upper putah, or the other tribs to the lake? I'm guessing it gets too hot in the summer, so are there trout? Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks Ryan,

I have heard that there is good Smallmouth Bass fishing on Upper Putah Creek near Middle Town.

I did not know it was very accessable.

It should be better up there after it warms up a bit like in April/May/June.

Some of the tributaries run in the winter but not much in the summer.

Trout are on top in Lake Berryessa in the Fall, Winter and Spring but go deep in the summer. They will be chasing Threadfin Shad at times.

That could have been a Rainbow trout because they might spawn way up in those streams in the winter?

Bass are usually in the shallow bays were the tributaries flow into Lake Berryessa in the spring and fall. Bass go deep in the mid-winter and mid-summer.

A lot of rumors and guesses here so good luck.

Ryan
01-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Bill, do you know what time the Kokane (spelling?) spawn? And do they spawn in tributaries? I know they do from Boca into the little truckee, because I have caught one before. Thanks.

Darian
01-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Ryan,..... Never have fished them myself but Kokane are known to use tributaries of lakes where they are established. For example, Taylor Creek and the Upper Truckee River; both trib's of Tahoe. I've actually observed these migrations for spawning. 8) The timing of the spawning activities tends to be a little later at altitude but occurs right around opening day for trout at the lower elevations. Such as, Englebright Rsvr where Kokane use the forks of the Yuba River. Friends of mine that've fished Kokane say they see them in the North fork below Highway 49 during that time.....

Most of my friends say they troll for them and rarely have I heard any of them say they caught Kokane in a creek or river..... :?:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Ryan,

Many years ago we use to troll in Folsom Lake and Bullards Bar Reservoir for Kokanee which are land locked dwarfed Sockeye Salmon. I believe they are plankton eaters and they are both very good eating when fresh from the ocean or lake.

I remember that they start to head up the forks of those lakes in the fall and must spawn in the winter up those tributaries.

I have heard lots of stories about people seeing them in many places up streams spawning in brilliant colors with bright red bodies and green heads.

Picture from Coastal Angler web site.

http://www.coastangler.com/kokanee/big%20kokanee.jpg

http://www.coastangler.com/kokanee/

Darian
01-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi Bill,..... Did I get the timing wrong on Kokanee Spawning :?: I thought they were a spring spawner down here.... :? Oh well, it's hell to get old.... :oops: