PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Fly fishing

Rickey Noel Mitchell
01-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Nowdays on the water there’s a different type of angler on the water fishing from a craft that requires no motor of any kind just paddle power. Those anglers are kayakfishermen, fishing in all waters--saltwater, fresh water, rivers, bays and the surf--places where no other water craft could, or should, go, paddling a craft used for survival by the Inuit people in the Arctic waters of the far North, as far back as 11,000 years ago. Today--a few thousand others and myself are casting our lines from kayaks, a craft once rigged properly along with practiced skills will enable a flyfishers to cast their flies in all waters.
Living in the center of California, some of the best fishing waters in the country are only hours away. An hour and a half drive there’s The San Luis Reservoir and O’Neill Forebay where many world record stripers have been caugh on the fly. Drive another hour and a half and there’s the Pacific Ocean, with bays, kelp beds and surfs just waiting with saltwater flyfishing adventures. The Sacramento and American Rivers with steelhead, salmon, rainbow and brown trout, as well as the California Delta all--only a few hours away. My home waters the San Joaquin and the Kings Rivers as well as ten different lakes within a hour away.
A kayak can loaded up and be ready to go in twenty minutes, once you reach your fishing destination you can be on the water ready to cast in thirty minutes.

Hairstacker
01-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi Rickey!

Yep, I'm one of those "few thousand others" you mentioned. This past year, I did most of my fly fishing out of an inflatable kayak I kept stored in the trunk of my car, along with the paddle, manual double-action pump, and life vest. Thing literally took less than 5 minutes to fully inflate and was always on the water in less than 15 minutes total (excluding driving time, of course). It enabled me to get right there on the water where the fish are and, like you mentioned, it enabled me to flyfish secluded backwaters that motored boats can't get to. 8) Great for getting away from the crowds and enjoying privacy, not to mention relaxation. One of the best purchases I ever made for flyfishing my homewater, the California Delta.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Kayaks are becoming more popular every year for fly fishing.

Some do fly fish out of them and some use them just for transportation.

Ricky Noel Mitchell will have some different fishing kayaks for you to inspect at our Kiene's Expo on April 23, 2005, Saturday.

Ricky's web site:

http://www.paddleandflies.com/

http://www.paddleandflies.com/The%20Fabulous%20Seadartsmall.jpg

Darian
01-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Hello evryone,..... On my trip to Esat Cape, I spent an enjoyable AM on a sit-on-top model paddling over a reef about 100 yds off the surf line. It was a great workout. Took my fly rod out, cast for awhile and trolled for awhile. These Kayaks were not well maintained and had no rod holders or tethers for paddles or equipment. Not sure what I would've done if something big took my fly. Down there, the water is so warm that even in the early AM, getting wet is enjoyable. 8)

Haven't done any Kayaking up here but am interested. Saw some good models at the Sacto ISE today. Gonna have to check 'em out at Bill's Expo. Who knows.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-22-2005, 12:01 AM
I guess you just hang on and pray????????

http://www.kiene.com/images/YakMarlin_000.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-22-2005, 12:05 AM
http://www.kiene.com/KayaksCanoesInflatables.htm

Rob
02-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Tomorrow I'm trading a camera for A Heritage Kayak Featherlite.
I would like to pull it up the Yuba river from the bridge . I saw a young man do this 2 years ago. All the areas like the foundation hole that you can not walk past with out trespassing you can paddle around or cross the river. Plus above the Davis property you could fish out of the Kayak .At the end of the day you drift back to you car.
Can't wait untill spring to fish Caples lake, Red Lake .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Pontoon%20boats%20and%20Kayaks/Dscn0006.jpg

Rob

Hairstacker
02-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Rob, good for you! You're gonna love it. It will take a little getting used to at first, handling the kayak and fly fishing at the same time. No question, you'll get the hang of it though, so stick with it. As you're already figuring out, it will open entire new venues of available water to fish. Very portable, yet extends your range. . . . At some point, you will find it absolutely indispensable and as essential a piece of equipment as waders or a belly boat. Congratulations!

Rob
02-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Thank Mike.
I hope to take it out in lake Natoma saturday. :lol: :lol:

Rob.

Darian
02-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Bill,.... In your post with the photo of the person in a sit-on-top Kayak in the clear water...... If you look just to the right and below, under the surface, it appears that there is a silhouette of a large fish there (Billfish :?: ). :D :D It's faint, but there 8) 8)

Just imagine hooking up on a Sailfish or Marlin in that Kayak :shock: :shock: :twisted:

Darian
02-25-2005, 11:43 PM
OK,.... Since the guy on top is hooked up to the fish, I guess I was right..... :oops: :wink:

Que the dummy will ya :? :?:

Rickey Noel Mitchell
02-26-2005, 08:15 AM
hey guys,
That is a Marlin, caught by Jim Sammonds down in Baja.
Hey Rob, I'm glad to hear your going to Lake Notoma before you go to the river. For safetys sake...paddle your yak some before you fish from it and wear a PFD. Also when you do fish have a rod and paddle leash. The featherlite is a great yak but know this about sit in sides if one fills with water for some reason, they will weigh about five times what they did when they were empty. Paddle safe and wear a PFD

Rob
02-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks Rickey. .
I never go on the water without a PFD.
I"M not the best swimmer!!
I'll Go to lake Natomas 4-5 times and the lower American before I go to the Yuba.
I know about the sit on tops not holding water and they are easier to get in and out of.
I would have liked a sit on top but don't have the funds to buy one and this trade was a great deal. The feather light was used twice and is in new condition .

I understand that the featherlight is wider than some and hope that will help with balance.
I will not be using it on any rivers but the Lower American. The Lower Yuba.and the Lower Sacamento and the lower Feather. As far as the Yuba I know all the hard spots and know how to get around them.
The main reason I got it was for lakes.
I looked at you web-site and you did a great job !!
Good info.

Thank very much.
Rob

Rob
03-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I took my new kayak out to Lake Natomas.

Went from Hazel to the cable at the folsom prison and back.
It handle great. :lol:

It will work great on rivers like the Lower Yuba , American and Feather.

We saw all kind of wild life.

They let you get very close .

This is a friend in his kayak checking out a Turtle on Lake Natomas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Kayaking/kaykinglakenatoma.jpg

Take care
-Rob

Rob
03-11-2005, 05:44 PM
I put a fly rod holder on the Yak.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Kayaks/rodholder.jpg

worked great on the Yuba River.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Kayaks/Dscn0006.jpg
Just below USD property
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Kayaks/DSCN0013.jpg

Hairstacker
03-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Yuba?!? Rob, you've got to get that thing into the Delta this year for some topwater bass! A kayak works PERFECTLY for working the edges of weedbeds, as it parks very nicely on top of them, thus holding you in position, but yet you'll easily be able to break away and "park" in the next spot. Thus, you'll be able to work an entire weedbed line without having to fiddle so much with your paddle to deal with currents. You have GOT to try it and see what I mean. Lucky dog, you! :wink: :D

Rob
03-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Your Right Mike.

I need to try some new areas and do some bass fishing.

The Delta sounds like it would be fun.

Clementine Lake near Auburn has Small mouth bass in it.

I can't wait to try it on some lakes .

I think Carson lake or Red lake would be fun.

Take care
-Rob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2005, 05:50 AM
Ricky Noel Mitchell will be at the Expo to talk about fly fishing and kayaks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Rickey Noel Mitchell will be at our annual Kiene's Fly Shop Expo showing kayaks and talking about fly fihsing with them.

http://www.paddleandflies.com/Happy%20Georgesmall.jpg

Rickey's web site

http://www.paddleandflies.com/

MicahTolentino
06-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Where can you access the Delta? directions? Im sorry I wouldn't know, Im relatively new to sacramento. I would like to try yaking with a fly rod and the delta this summer sounds like the ticket? Anyone with suggestions on where I could start out for some smallies?

Micah

Darian
06-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi Micah,.... The delta isn't really known for producing Smallmouth.... :? However, it sure puts out bunches of Largemouth and Stripers; plus a lot of Sunfish..... :D :D

I could name several places where you could launch but it probably would be more fun/interesting if you were to discover them on your own. The Delta is a place of ulimited opportunites for the Bass fisherman. If you're fishing out of a yak, there are some basics the "Hairstacker" has listed in other posts on this BB. After that, all it amounts to is trying out different spots. 8) 8)

You haven't mentioned where you live, but the Delta is big enough to touch almost every city and town within 60 miles of Sacramento. If you're inexperienced at handling tidal currents or highwater flows, it might be in your best interests to start by picking some slack or slow water sloughs :roll: . Then graduate to increased current when you're comfortable 8) 8) 8) .

One of the best maps I've found for the Delta is a commercial one available from Kiene's, most tackle or fly shops and titled, The Delta. 8) It's water proof/plastic and lists a lot of info you're gonna need. Lastly, I'd recommend keeping a log so you can recall where you were last succesfull and when, etc.

Good luck and tight lines.... :D :D :D :D

randy
07-06-2005, 05:41 PM
For me it would probably be a good triathalon sport paddle-fish-swim.....paddle-fish-swim. But would still like to try it.

Rickey Noel Mitchell
04-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Franks Track. Sugar barge. it's about $12 to launch.

Hairstacker
04-02-2006, 01:36 PM
$12 to launch a kayak? :shock: I always just climb down the side of a levee somewhere and launch for free.

Rickey Noel Mitchell
04-02-2006, 02:49 PM
I drive to Franks Track from Fresno a few times a year. At Beacon's Harbor they'll bring a tractor out to the parking lot and tow my trailer to the launch and then bring it back when I come back in. My truck is safe in their parking lot while I'm fishing. The twelve $ covers camping too.
It's worth it to me.

nick buckler
04-28-2006, 09:21 AM
i have been looking for a good stable kayak for fly fishing rivers and lakes sounds like you may know where and what type to but could you reply. nick

Rickey Noel Mitchell
04-29-2006, 07:26 AM
I would try the ws Ride , It was my favorite river yak for a number of years-very stable or the a new yak by emotion called the mojo. Try California canoe and kayaks on Hazel street by Lake Naotma or Adventures sports on watts.

Darian
04-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Nick,.... You should check out the new sit-on 'yaks by Hobie. You can choose to peddle by using your legs or paddle in the traditonal metho. It gives you the option to free up your hands while moving from one location to another or all together.... 8) 8)

They can be seen at California Canoe and Kayaks, as well as other brands. :D :D

Darian
04-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Nick,.... You should check out the new sit-on 'yaks by Hobie. You can choose to peddle by using your legs or paddle in the traditonal metho. It gives you the option to free up your hands while moving from one location to another or all together.... 8) 8)

Darian
04-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Rickey Noel Mitchell
04-29-2006, 12:43 PM
As Darian repeatly says try out a Hobie. They are just about a handfree kayak and the only yak I'm fishing.