PDA

View Full Version : Yet another fly line question

Crusty
01-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Is there a big difference between Steelhead Taper and the Nymph taper in either SA or Rio lines?

I'll be using it in Alaska for Steelhead and beading for Rainbows in weights from 6 thru 9. Obviously I'll also use it here on the upper Sac and Klamath.

My WF floating lines are showing some wear after 5 years. Do these lines offer that much help in the wind and mending or is it just hype to get me to buy yet more fly lines?

Crusty

Darian
01-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi Crusty,..... I can't answer the first part of your question but maybe I can give you my perspective on the latter.....

My opinion is that mending it is never easy with a lot of line out. It probably isn't as important which line you use as much as how much line you have out beyond the tip, the type of line (floating/sink-tip, etc.), length of your rod and how many conflictiing currents there are between you and your fly.....

If you're satisfied with your current lines, stick with the same line type. Then the brand becomes a matter of personal choice. In other words, pick a line and go have some fun......

Adam Grace
01-21-2005, 03:31 PM
There are many styles of lines out for both steelhead and nymph fishing.
I will try to supply you with enough information for you to choose the best line for your style of fishing.

Rio Steelhead & Atlantic Salmon line:

110' long, head length 66', long head length for ease of casting farther and controlling/mending longer lengths of line, also nice length for single-handed spey casting, Rio's SlickShooter process provides a nice slick line.

Short front taper (2.5’ bullet taper), great for turning over large bulky and heavy flies, popular for indo-nymphing.

* Nice line for traditional swinging, indo-nymphing and possible dry fly fishing(more delicate than other nymphing lines) Versatile!

Rio Nymph line:

90' long, 48' head length, longer than average (35'-40') head length, longer head length for better mending and control.

Short 4' front taper with NEW high floating welded loop tip (Fl.Orange colored), orange tip acts like an indicator.

Designed for fishing with an indicator, or fishing Czech style nymphing.
Powerful tip turnover. SlickShooter process for slickness.

* Designed to cast heavy bulky flies and indicators. Not delicate. Primary nymphing line!

Scientific Anglers Mastery Steelhead line:

105' long, 65' head length, long head for big water and line control.

Medium length 7' front taper for smooth turnover

Used for indo-nymphing, better for traditional style steelhead wet flies and smaller waking flies with long distances. Also nice for s.h. spey casting.
AST coating for slickness.

* S.A.’s most versatile line when swinging and indo-nymphing.

Scientific Anglers Mastery Nymph line:

100' long, 62' head, again a long head for distance and line control.

Short powerful front taper for turning over bulky indicators and split shot. More supple coating for micro mending.
AST coating for slickness.

* S.A.’s primary indicator nymph fishing line, developed for west coast indo-nymphing!

Airflo Platinum Distance line:

105' long, 48' head length, longer than normal for distance and line control.

Medium length 7' front taper turns over indicators nicely. Medium length head allows for a somewhat delicate presentation while still turning over the indo-nymphing junk. Not specifically designed for steelhead or nymphing but the length of the head and the turnover of the tip allow for both styles of fishing.
Nice for s.h. spey casting. Polyshoot technology for slickness.

*This is a versatile line for trout or steelhead fisherman.

As you can see there are some great specialty lines out there for both traditional steelhead fishing and new age indo-nymphing. I have fished all of these lines and all are of a high quality and will be a pleasure to fish.

Out of respect for the different line manufactures I will not post my favorites online.

If you would like more detailed line information e-mail your questions to me at adam@kiene.com.

I will be gone for the weekend and will check my inbox on Monday.

Please post any personal experiences with any of these or other similar styled lines.

Adam Grace
01-21-2005, 03:33 PM
You can also "PM" (private message) me with questions through our new bulletine board. I love all the new features on this board. :D

CW
01-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Crusty -
I've been fishing the steelhead/Atlantic salmon taper for about 2 years in 6 weight on the Yuba and American, and have been using the new Nymph taper on a 7 weight since it came out. Felt that the steelhead/salmon taper is the ultimate for stackmending at greater distances - great if you are wade fishing. On the Nymph taper, the fluorescent orange tip is a great indicator, but when you are fishing even a little bit further out into the current, or possibly in a bit of choppier water, it is difficult to see the bright section at times, so you may still end up using an indicator, but it still turns over fine. I did notice the steelhead salmon taper tip seemed to sink a bit, while the Nymph taper tip stayed high and dry. Weird, but I could cast the nymph taper (with medium fast rod) further then the salmon steelhead taper (with fast action rod) even though the salmon steelhead taper has a longer head, but that is probably due to flaws in my casting. For what its worth, hope this helps..... best wishes.

Darian
01-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Hello again,..... Lotsa good advice from Adam and others....

Thought it over and would revise my previous answer to your question. :roll: I'm not sure where in So-Cal you live but if you're able, go to Bob Marriott's Fly Shop in Orange County and ask to cast a demo line. Nothing like first hand experience..... If you're not in proximity of Marriott's, look for another in your area......

Good luck

Crusty
01-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the replies...good stuff, but what the heck is indo-nymphing? Is that nymphing with indicators and split-shots or some new cuisine served at trendy restaurants?

Crusty