PDA

View Full Version : Another Bass Bug

Hairstacker
01-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Well, decided to tie another variation of the last one (it's what happens when you're bored, ha):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/red-whiteKamikaze.jpg

Darian
01-20-2005, 12:01 AM
I am impressed..... 8) My hair bugs never turn out that good. Mine are...... functional but not pretty. Some times I get to trimmin' the hair and wake up to find out I've trimmed it too close.... Oh well.

Hairstacker
01-20-2005, 12:29 AM
Hi Darian!

I know what you mean, I hate to admit the number of times I've inadvertently whittled a bug down to a pencil shape, ha. (Doh! :( )

David Lee
01-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Fellas . to quote Ralph Cutter ( he's right )- FISH DON'T CARE !!! D.J.L.

Adam Grace
01-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Great bug Hairstacker. My deer hair bugs helped me land my job at Kiene's. I have not spun hair for quite a long time. You make me want to spin some more bass bugs. I experimented with foam last season. I tweaked a foam frog pattern and put my own twist on it . Below are a couple pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/bassakwardsfrogside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/bassakwardsfrogtop.jpg

Notice the frayed weed guard and green foam, this bug has caught some bass.

I tie it with the hook inverted to eliminate snags. I put epoxy on the bottom to make the fly land right side up and to also make a splat once it lands on a weed patch. The lip makes the frog pop and spit. The double weed guard makes it amlost totally snag proof.

I use a 7 and 8wt rod with a stiff short leader to turn it over but I can cast it farely far. I also tie up a size #10 for smaller 5 and 6wt rods.

Hairstacker
01-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Wow Adam, I really like your foam frog! That thing looks like a killer on bass. Nice colors too, matching the legs to the body, with the little bit of white added to the legs. With that inverted hook, I can just imagine tossing it on top of a weed mat, then slowly pulling it into a pocket of open water, with those rubber legs slowly quivering and catching mini-currents.... BLAM!!! (water goes flying, Mike misses the strike and nails himself between the eyes, then looks around to make sure no one was watching as the heart palpitations subside....) So, I take it that the epoxy adds weight to the underside of the fly, which is why it lands upright? And how did you get that lip to stand up like that? What a great pattern!

Adam Grace
01-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Hair,

I cut clits on both sides of the head to insert the mono weed guard. The slits allow me to prop up the head and apply Zap-a-gap inside the slits to permanently glue in the weed guards and head into position.

My Father named the fly the "Bass Akwards Frog", kind of long but sort of funny.

The "fly" is more or less glued togther than tied. The epoxy is not heavy enough to make the hook land up every cast. Under the epoxy and near the butt of the fly is ten wraps of .030 lead. The wind resistancy of the foam and the extra weight of the lead and epoxy off-set each other in the air.

Overall it is a different style of fly. Great for heavy cover and weed mats.

Darian
01-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Hi Adam,..... Interesting pattern. I've tried several designs with moderate success. Mine are usually heavy and require heaving rather than casting. Have you determined an optimum number/length of rubber legs :?: Yours appears to float with the rear end down, just like a frog hanging in the water.

I really like the look of your pattern and plan to use it myself.... 8)