PDA

View Full Version : Flies on the American

Thom
01-19-2005, 10:18 AM
[/b] I'm new to the American River(first ever trip was yesterday) and would like some suggestions on what flies to try, including hook size, while fly fishing for steelhead during the winter spawning run. For what it's worth, I have 3 wt., 6 wt. and 8 wt. outfits. I've been tying for about one year so any guideance would be appreciated. Thanks. Thom

Darian
01-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Hi Thom,..... When you get a chance, read the reply of David Lee under "American River" posted below by Jay M. David summarizes what is needed very well.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-20-2005, 09:58 PM
These are some of the flies they have been using lately for indicator fishing:

Size 12/14 nymphs work well. Something dark or green/olive with a bead head, flash back and even rubber legs.

Small egg imitations

San Juan Worms

Alvien imitations

For swinging you can try anything dark, heavy with a spot of color and a little flash (Egg Sucking Bugger/Leech) or a bright steelhead fly like a Comet or Flame.

Try 2x Seagar Grand Max FC tippet too.

CW
01-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Thom -

Billy was on the money - if you don't want to use worms or beads/glo-bugs, Morrish Super Pupa, Morrish Super Pupa, Morrish Super Pupa ..... Did I mention Morrish Super Pupa in 12 or 14? ........ tan and olive (the bright green will work too when water is colored like it is now). The shop has had some copper johns with rubber legs (you might try the olive colored one - I think the largest size they have is 14 or 16), or even something like Sloany's Mini Mite (BWO nymph, but the catch is that they come in smaller sizes, so good luck keeping a fish on - this is probably better for half-pounders, but 10+ lb fish have been landed with size 16 flies here on the American). Use a longer leader, and make sure you are ticking bottom, better to be picking weeds off every other cast then not being on the bottom. Please use stout fluoro and horse them beautiful creatures in.

Respectfully,
CW

SullyTM
01-27-2005, 10:56 AM
CW...So many flies, not enough flyswatters! Thanks for the tips. I've created my own version of the Morris SP. I call it the Green Envy Pupa and it resembles alot of other flies in that pattern range. I also created the Crimson Beadhead. I'm heading to the AR next month for my second "out-of-my-local-zipcode" attempt at steelhead and these flies will get first dibs at being taken. Happy flying. Thom