PDA

View Full Version : The Joys of Float Tubing ......

David Lee
01-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Why do I love float tubing ?? I DON'T - I float tube 'cause it's better than swimming . Boats are nice , but they are a pain in the nevermind to use by yourself , plus they cost a lot to run/maintain/launch . Float tubin' keeps me in tune with nature and basic human emotions ... fear , for example . Ever try to cross the arm @ rattlesnake bar on Folsom in July ??? That's right ! You haven't - it is big-time SCAREY to be a target for every yahoo in a skiboat/Bassboat/jetski on the lake . It's like being a pylon at an air race . Another emotion is pride .... 31 degrees out , blowin' wind , whitecaps , ALL of your friends are at home ... nice and cozy . Where are you ? That's right !! Freezing on a lake somewhere ! As you bob and drift , you think "Yea... this is the life !! Everybody's missin' out - they are a bunch of sissys for not goin' out today !" Remember that scene from Titanic ? The one where the little fella turns into an ice cube ? No wonder pride is one of the 7 deadly sins ....

David Lee
01-18-2005, 04:46 PM
So .... why Float tube ? LOTS of good reasons ! Tubin' is a FANTASTIC workout ! If you break the "golden rule"(ALLWAYS launch INTO the wind) you will work-out all of your muscles below the neck and probably grow some new ones in places you didn't have them before . Your flycasting will improve .... If you want the fly anywhere past 20 feet , you will HAVE to become a better caster (to that end , you'll learn the meaning of the term "water-haul" ....) . Self-control is another reason to F.T. -when you're quietly finning around , shooting your Bass-bugs to cover , and accidently back in into a flooded willow branch that runs into your shorts and up your backside - you will learn NOT to scream out loud (VERY embarrassing) .
The last reason is .... it's a pretty cool way to spend a day catching a fish or two :D :D !!! Have fun , David

Darian
01-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi David,..... Apt descriptions all. I have a question, though: What about "shrinkage" :?: :twisted:

Hairstacker
01-19-2005, 01:19 AM
And here I had thought float tubin' was like fishin' out of an easy chair... :shock:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-19-2005, 01:41 AM
We carried the "Tucker Duck and Rubber Company" heavy canvas covered float tube in the '60s in the sporting goods stores I worked in. It was in Fort Smith, Arkansas.

They came in 16" and 20" models. They were not big enough for a 200#er. That was all that was made then.

FFF History of Float Tubing web page:

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/IFFC-Floatubes.htm

Float Tube Fly Fishing web site:

http://www.floattubefisherman.com/getting_started_float_tubing.php

http://www.floattubefisherman.com/images/fish-n-float.jpg

Picture courtesy of FTFF

David Lee
01-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Hmmmmmm .... Shrinkage ... Nope , never worry about it - I'm married so that covers the emasculation part . By the way , My wife LOVES to tube , darn near the only way I can get her to go out with me anymore . D.J.L.

Adam Grace
01-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Great picture of the old school flooat tube Bill. I have never seen an old float tube like that before.

David Lee
01-21-2005, 12:33 AM
I can almost smell the mildew on that canvas duck , do the vets (old guys) agree ?? D.J.L.