PDA

View Full Version : Alevin Pattern

01-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Anyone want to share the process and materials required to make this pattern?
Thanks.

David Lee
01-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi "guest" - there are a bunch o' different ones ..... Here's Ernies Alevin -
Take a heavy scud hook (#10-#6) , tye in a small bunch(1 inch long) of silver/gray marabou right behind the hook eye , tye off .
Take an orange glass bead (look at the bead shops) , thread onto hook , push bead all the way to the hookeye (marabou between bead and hook eye) .
Restart thread just behind bead , tye in and wrap a strand of silver holo flash behind bead to past the bend and back , tye off and cover w/ cement .
Tye down marabou behind bead , tye off thread , cement thread .
Go fish that sucker on 2x tippet w/ or w/o an indicator ON A DEAD DRIFT - those little guys can't swim worth a crap - DO NOT lock your line up , Steelhead take that fly hard . I will be at Kienes fly shop on Sat. (I think) tying some different ones , drop on in . David

Darian
01-18-2005, 03:25 PM
One of several I've been using is a heavy one for fast water:

Hook: Mustad 3908C (still have some 8) ), Eagle Claw 1197N, sizes 6/4
Thread: Clear monofilament (thin)
Body: Pearl Flashabou (optional)
Wing: Pearl Flashabou (under), light grey marabou (over), tied sparse
and hust past the bend
Throat: Flourescent orange poly yarn (short)
Head/Bead: Silver
Eyes: Painted white w/black pupil

This fly can be swung or dead drifted......

Good luck

steve sullivan
01-19-2005, 08:03 PM
One of several I've been using is a heavy one for fast water:

Hook: Mustad 3908C (still have some 8) ), Eagle Claw 1197N, sizes 6/4
Thread: Clear monofilament (thin)
Body: Pearl Flashabou (optional)
Wing: Pearl Flashabou (under), light grey marabou (over), tied sparse
and hust past the bend
Throat: Flourescent orange poly yarn (short)
Head/Bead: Silver
Eyes: Painted white w/black pupil

This fly can be swung or dead drifted......

Good luck

The orange egg sack can be difficult at first. You might be better off getting a orange bead, flip the hook upside down, put a flame under the hook and with forceps push the bead onto the bottom of the hook.

The trick of tying the orange poly yarn is that you stretch it. If you go to a flyshop and pull on the orange egg sack you will see what I mean.

David Lee
01-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi Steve , are you coming in Sat. ?? I'll show you how to do the egg sack out of marabou - much quicker than a bead !! Hope ya make it , D.J.L.

Adam Grace
01-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Since I prefer to swing flies I developed an alevin pattern that will actually tract striaght. Here is a picture of my fly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/maraboualevin.jpg

Wing: gray marabou, sparse amount - important
Body: pearl poly flash (woven pearl tinsel)
Troat/egg sack: orange marabou
Eyes: 3D pearl stick-ons covered with epoxy

The weight of the hook keeps the fly tracking straight while swinging through current.

Have fun tying. - Adam

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Love those pictures........... 8)

Hairstacker
01-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Yep, VERY nice picture of a VERY nice fly!

Adam Grace
01-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Thank you guys, I love being able to post my pictures from my new camera. This digital technology is awesome and tons of fun. :D

Digger
01-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the tips and variations on this. It shows that everyone has their own little modifications borne from experience for the same fly. This is good to know, esp for a novice tyer such as myself.

k.hanley
01-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi folks,
Here's a little Alevin pattern that's been a ton of fun this past year. I hope it brings you many fine memories on the water.

Hook: Wide Gape Scud (light wire or heavy, I use both) #10 & #8
Thread: Tan or gold to match body color (8/0)
Egg sac: Glo Bug Yarn, Alaska Roe
Body: Furled Antron, tan or gold
Optics: Mono eyes, x-small, black

I created the design after a conversation with Mike Bias. We were looking for something that offered a softer feel, some movement, and slim profile. It's been productive in the Northwest and here in California.

I'll be tying it at the ISE Show this weekend in Sacramento, and again at the ISE San Mateo show the first week of Feb.
Cheers, Ken

Ken Miller
01-21-2005, 12:40 PM
It's my opinion that Ken's Alevin is the prototypical Nor Cal Alevin pattern imitation. There are other notables such as; Tim Fox's - TFS Alevin in true "Fox Poopah style" form and also Mercer's Sac Fry - Alevin that is a Lower Sac pattern staple.

For even more information on Ken's pattern, it was featured recently in an edition of Western Outdoors magazine in the John McKim "Fly Ideas" column. John's column is one of the best kept secrets in fly tying publication. Fly tiers are missing something if you do not regulary see the column. Quality prints are available of all column pattern contributions @ johnmckim.com. I only provide as a matter of education and knowledge base, no solicitation is implied (Bill, Adam).

Best Regards,

Ken Miller

So Cal