PDA

View Full Version : Broken Rods

Darian
01-17-2005, 10:19 PM
I must be lost in the past tonight..... I was just thinking about a time when I was out Shad fishing on the American at Rossmor Bar.... I hooked up on a medium size Shad and decided to pressure 'im in for a quick release. The older 7 wt, Lamiglas rod (fiberglass) snapped off just above the grip with the fish about 10 yards out. Being the superman fisherman that I was, I dropped the grip/reel into the pocket of my waders and continued to fight/release that Shad. Then spent the rest of the day casting/landing more fish (WOW!!! This guys good :wink: )

Thinking that I had accomplished something vedry special, I went to Kiene's and told someone there about this event. Their response was something like, Oh yeah,.... that's happened to me too...... :oops:

I was wondering how many times this has happened to others...??? Anyone else care to admit something like this??

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-17-2005, 11:01 PM
I have heard that similar story where it has happened in the salt water and maybe in Alaska too.

The part about fishing afterwards is the cool part. :idea:

The story I hate to hear is the person who drives all the way up in the hills to his favorite spot and forgets.....? His reel, his rod, his waders, his boots..........sad. :oops:

Darian
01-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi Bill,..... I have one close to that. I returning to my truck after a successful Shad outing below the "H" St. bridge one evening and met a fellow Shad fisherperson of the opposite persuasion (good looking too) :shock: who wanted some advice...... Wishing only to accommodate her, I proceeded to place my fully rigged rod/reel on the roof of my truck and sat down on the tailgate whilst enthralling this person with tales of my fishing prowess..... 8) After awhile, she decided that she'd had enough and left. Meanwhile, I had taken off my waders/shoes, etc. closed the truck got in and drove home. When I arrived at home, I discovered that my rod had not arrived with me.... :roll: Backtracked to Glen Hall Park and found nothing. Some lucky person had found themselves a fully rigged Loomis, 6wt and reel.

Another outfit claimed by the "black hole" on my trucks roof..... :wink:

Rick J
01-18-2005, 05:47 PM
I have had my glass rod break while hooked to a 30# king on the Chetco and managed to fight the fish off the butt of the rod and land it.

Darian
01-18-2005, 09:08 PM
RICK!!!! You da man!!! :D Landing a 30lb Chinook on a broken rod..... That's cool 8)