PDA

View Full Version : Fly Organization/Storage

01-15-2005, 03:35 PM
I've been looking for a relatively "bomb proof" box for flies with a large capacity for flies ready to use, visibility, is durable and has a device for holding the lid closed. (.... that won't break the bank). There're only a few on the market that might meet part of my requirements but none that meets all. :?:

Think I might've finally found one. :idea: It's the Museum, Aluminum Art Case by Weber. The dimensions of the one I purchased is 11" X 1 1/2" X 9". The outside frame is extruded aluminum while the panels (top and bottom) are some type of rigid, compressed paper material covered with vinyl. The lid snaps closed and requires pressing a button to release the catch. I used "Fly Paper" (from Kienes) to set up enough capacity for 48 flies up to 6" in size. The inside (top/bottom) is lined with a velvetine panel that must be removed to enable the Fly Paper to stick.

This is my first attempt at this. So, we'll see how far this goes while using in places like the Delta of Baja. Really looks like it'll work well as a fly box from a boat.

ps: These emoticons are fun, now that I've figured out how to use them.

Darian
01-15-2005, 03:38 PM
OOOoopps!! Guess I hit the wrong button in the above post...... I'm really not a "guest". :oops:

David Lee
01-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Hmmmmm , nothing's perfect . I am currently using Plano and Shimano plastic boxes to hold all my stuff .... Haven't broken any yet and the price is right . Plano #3450 and #3449 , Shimano # .... crap - it doesn't have a number . Just go to a tackle shop and look for the big , clear plastic boxes the Bass-pro guys haul all their stuff in . Good luck ! David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-15-2005, 10:12 PM
I have seen some by different manufacturers.

I will have Adam order up some different ones so we can all make an evaluation. :wink:

They are like a boat bag with big synthetic fly boxes.

Cabelas has some on their web site: :D

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0012350.jsp

Adam Grace
01-18-2005, 09:17 PM
We stock a bag from Loomis that hold about five different clear plastic boxes about 12"x6"x2". It is called the external frame bag. When you come through the shop's front door it is on the groung right in front of our bag rack. Check it out.

Darian
01-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.....