PDA

View Full Version : New Materials

Adam Grace
01-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Every time this year mself and the others at the shop look for new tying materials to bring into the shop. I would like to know about any new or old materials that you, our customers, would like to see in our shop. We recently brought in a great new selection of materials from a company by the name of Nature's Spirit. Nature's spirit has some of the best deer and elk hair that I have ever seen and tied with. The turkey biots and cdc are also very nice and technical as far as colors and quality.

We also now sell the Spirit River brite beads. These metal beads come in a wider range of sizes and brite finishes that do not tarnish. Please tell me about your favorite materials and the new stuff that you are looking for.

One of the many very cool things about this new board is that we now have the ability to be sent an e-mail when someone replies to one of our posts. I will make sure that any replies to this post will be sent to my e-mail account and I will keep my eyes open to new replies.

Bob Scheidt
01-15-2005, 09:36 AM
I use alot of the Spirit River Brite beads in size 7/64. This size has been around for a year or so. The 1/8 is a little big for a size 14. The 7/64 is the ticket for a 14. Gold, black nickel, nickel silver, and copper.

Another cool toy is the Wapsi colored wire. I will end up with all the colors. I use the sizes medium and brassie to tie nymphs. One strand of say med. black and one strand of brassie red, wrapped like a copper john, only using 2 colors. Looks great. With this wire, you can make many different color and style variations of the copper john nymph. They sink great and fish get em. I will have a bunch to show at Kiene's expo, April 23rd!

They have a new color- Gunmetal blue wire. Oh yeah! :D

Bob Scheidt

01-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Bob, I have am currently bringing in more of that cool Ultra Wire. I decided against adding that "gunmetal blue" color, in what style of fly do you use that color? Why might we want to stock that color?

Ultra wire now comes in an extra small size. I am bringing in near all colors available in the new smaller size. I have also add a couple new colors in the medium size for those tiers who are using the medium wire to wrap full wire boddies stonefly nymphs. - Adam

Jgoding
01-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Hey Adam,

I think that blue color has been found effective back east for trout and steelies. For tying copper johns and a blue midge pattern I believe.

Jeff

01-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Would you, our customers, like to see us bring in a blue metal wire for tying? If so what sizes, small, brassie or medium?

Jgoding
01-17-2005, 04:55 PM
I like tying small, so the smaller the better for me! I need to come in to get some more colors anyways...

jeff

Thom
01-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Have you considered carrying more realistic fly materials? Japanese Nymph Legs and Realistic Caddis-Wings are a couple of materials that are frequently used. The Caddis-Wings are a very good item! Thanks. Thom

01-19-2005, 10:47 AM
I really like Nature Spirit's stuff. They used to have a package of deer hair that they called "Humpy Hair" that I liked particularly for tails and wings, but I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore. Is that hair still in the catalog, Adam?

As for wire, I have used the blue wire in several patterns and haven't really noticed any difference in performance, but it does make some really cool looking Copper Johns when wrapped together with silver wire. I mostly use small and brassie wire and very rarely ever need the medium or large wire. Would be nice to get the new extra small wire for ribbing really small flies.

-JD

Adam Grace
01-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Thom, I will ask the guys at the shop what they think about the materials you suggested.

Would you like to see the bent mottled caddis wings or something else?

Is there anyone else out there who would like to see more realistic tying materials?

David Lee
01-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi Adam !
I could use some Wapsi pencil popper bodies for size #4 and #1 hooks - I'm tying a load of Gurglers and Crease flys and think a small P.P. would round out my topwater foam bugs . The problem is NOBODY carries the Wapsi P.P. bodies - Do you think you could round some up ?? Lemmy know , David

SullyTM
01-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Adam...If the caddis wings come in different styles, then the more the merrier. I also have come across realistic grass hoppers legs etc.. The pre-formed wings/wing cases appeal to me because when I try to tie a realisitc pattern my scissor work leaves alot to be desired...Thank you. Thom

Digger
02-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Has anyone tried the Orvis stuff called 'Prism Dubbing'?
Wondering how it is, or if there's something similar in another brand.

Adam Grace
02-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

We do carry pencil popper kits. They contain the popper boddies and the necessary hooks, the hooks are nice too. If we do not carry the sizes that you want, call me at the shop 916/486-9958 and I can special order those specific sizes for you.

I will take a look at the avaialable pre-made caddis wings and hopper legs.

The Orvis dubbing is most likely a dubbing that is already on the market. Orvis doen't really make much of what they offer. I beleive that they purchase their materials from large materials vendors like Wapsi and Hareline. I will look into the dubbing and let you know if it is something that we already carry.

Let me know if there is anything else guys.