PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead on the American?

Jeff Edwards
01-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Has anyone been catching Steelhead on the American? I hear the Feather is actually fishing better. I'd like to get out this weekend with the Spey rod and fish.

Thanks

Jeff Edwards

Downtown Brown
01-14-2005, 10:25 AM
No fish reports that I am aware of. The flows look okay but lots of people are reporting low visibility. Lake Natoma is pretty muddy as well...

01-14-2005, 12:44 PM
I guess I'll give the Feather a shot then this weekend. Thanks Downtown!

Jeff

dy
01-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Took a walk along the American starting at the hatchery from about noon (1/14). There were about a dozen people fishing along the walking trail and the riffles on the other side of the river and one drift boat. No action at all in the 1 1/2 hours that I watched.

01-14-2005, 11:35 PM
That seems kinda slow to me. There will be 4 of us out on the feather on Sat. morning. I'll post a report on the trip.

Jeff

Adam Grace
01-15-2005, 12:41 AM
I fished Thursday morning with my buddy Gregg on the American at the Sunrise area from 7am - 8:30am before work. Neither of us hooked anything but I was very excited to see that the river clearing up. The water is not as off colored as it has been. I have hear of some large fish, 12lbs, being caught recently by some of our local fish bums. The steelies are out there. Keep working at it. This time of the year offers more clean hard fighting steelies and less chance to take a fish off of thier redd.

Please watch out when wading out near the salmon redds. Please make an effort to not step inside any of the old Salmon redds, there will still be some eggs and alevins waiting to emerge. Wade with cation!

denny griffin
01-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Fished all day Wed from Sailors Bar to Rossmore and only got one steelie. Fished Thur. from early morning till 1:30pm and got skunked. Of all the guys I checked with Thur. only one said he hooked up and that was only one fish at Sailors bar.
I don't post very often, but really do enjoy this site. Thanks Bill for making it happen.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-15-2005, 09:25 PM
I just talked with Keith and he said they did well on Friday 1/14/05 and the water was just right with a little color to it on the American River. He recommends small glo bugs, small PTs and green caddis larva/pupa.

http://www.kiene.com/images/aharkk3.JPG

Keith Kaneko's web page

http://www.kiene.com/KeithKaneko.htm