PDA

View Full Version : Best Day EVER!

Bob Loblaw
11-10-2023, 04:47 PM
Had the day off today (THANK YOU VETERANS) so got up at 5am and drove 3 hours to my favorite fall spot for BIG browns. Got to my spot and the river was in great shape and nobody was there! Got my gear on, hiked down to the river, slipped on some moss, fell on my ass, and broke both the rods I'd brought with me.

Hiked back up to the car and drove 3 hours home.

ARRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

RoosterHunter
11-10-2023, 05:46 PM
Sounds like something I would do. Almost did it today. I was ankle deep in the water just starting to wade out and slipped. I didn't break any rods but I'm sure I have a nice black and blue spot on my butt. Rocks are slippery as snot.
My wading days are coming to an end or maybe there already here

Sonoman
11-10-2023, 05:46 PM
Hate to hear it, Bob. Reminds me of years ago when my father-in-law joined me fishing the Frying Pan in CO. We left Denver early, probably 4 or 5am, drove up to the river, wadered up, he pulled out his rod tube and it was...empty! I don't think I ever heard why the rod wasn't in it or why he didn't check it before flying out. We found a fly shop, waited for it to open (this was before cell phones) and he bought a cheap rod to use that day.

Your story, breaking two rods, has that beat. Hope your weekend improves.

Bob Loblaw
11-13-2023, 01:04 PM
Luckily both rods are under warranty, but its still a hassle. Orvis wants $60 for the repair, postage will probably be another $15. 6-8 weeks until I get it back. Redington has a short cut. Instead of going through their whole warranty/repair process and mailing back the rod, they sell replacement tips on their website for $25!

I took my old Simms boots to the bootmaker on Saturday to get new Vibram soles put on them. Thats another $85!. Should have done it a few months ago, might have saved myself a lot of grief!

RoosterHunter
11-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Hopefully it's 6-8 weeks. I had a tip replaced on a Orvis clearwater rod and it took almost three months and $179.00 for the new tip. I'll never deal with Orvis again. I like the Orvis Mirage reels, though

steveg137
11-13-2023, 10:09 PM
Sorry Bob was hoping this was a stellar day on Pyramid.

richarde206
12-09-2023, 12:35 AM
Hopefully it's 6-8 weeks. I had a tip replaced on a Orvis clearwater rod and it took almost three months and $179.00 for the new tip. I'll never deal with Orvis again. I like the Orvis Mirage reels, though

My experience has been just the opposite. I've (unfortunately) had 3 rods over the last 3 years sent in for Orvis repair, and my experience has been just the warranty fee ($60?) covered the repair. Time-wise, it typically took about 6 weeks. I either received a repaired rod or a replacement rod.

My service experience has been so good that I'm considering transition from other brands to Orvis.

Bob Loblaw
12-11-2023, 12:36 PM
My experience has been just the opposite. I've (unfortunately) had 3 rods over the last 3 years sent in for Orvis repair, and my experience has been just the warranty fee ($60?) covered the repair. Time-wise, it typically took about 6 weeks. I either received a repaired rod or a replacement rod.

My service experience has been so good that I'm considering transition from other brands to Orvis.

I got my rod back after about 2 weeks with a new tip. Pretty good service, though I think I prefer the Reddington model. My Orivs repair, while very timely, cost $85 for a new tip. Reddington didn't ask for the rod to be mailed back, they just sold me a new tip for $25.

I know they'll say they need to match the tip to the rod, but I'm not sure they don't just pull one out of inventory and stick it in the tube. I don't think there's a guy in Manchester Vermont out lawn casting half a dozen different tips on my Orvis Access rod to see which one casts best. Though happy to be proved wrong!