PDA

View Full Version : Baja: Todos Santos / Pescadero area panga guides?

jomofro
09-14-2023, 11:21 AM
hi folks,
I'll be down in the Todos Santos / Pescadero / Cerritos area next month. It looks like the local pangas launch off the beach at Punta Lobos. Anyone fished down there or have any intel / recommendations?
thank you!
-J

RoosterHunter
09-14-2023, 02:24 PM
I did years ago but I'm sure all the captains I used are retired or passed. They were actually commercial fisherman who thought they were fly fishing captains.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2023, 11:05 AM
Over the past 40 years we were always looking for that "new place".

Years ago we would end up in some small fishing village and get an old man or a teenager to take us out in a panga for ~$40.

They knew where the fish were but did not understand how to guide fly fishers, but it was OK cause the fishing was still very good.

mems
09-16-2023, 11:24 AM
I surfed Cerritos great right off the point into sand. Very cool town. Saw a small boat go out and get mahi. I would fish La Ventana and clean up on mahi.

RoosterHunter
09-18-2023, 01:58 PM
Right now at La Ventana they are still catching some 40 to 70lb roosters. Not a lot but they are still catching them considering it's not the time of year for them.
I'll be there next week trying to tease up a marlin or looking for shallow running wahoo. No trolling.
This is the pattern I tied up

RoosterHunter
09-18-2023, 05:32 PM
Don
I surfed Cerritos a few years ago, well "I tried" to surf Cerritos. I had a few days off and took a trip to the beach. Saw they had a rental surf shop on the beach. I rented one and paddled out. Went to catch the first wave and found out that I didn't have it anymore. From a knee paddle position, my knees didn't want to straighten out. Rode one wave in and took the board back and told the guy that I was finished. He was going to refund me but I told him to keep it and went to one of the massage tables that was on the beach. That was the best thing I did all day

jomofro
09-22-2023, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll follow-up with a report next month.