PDA

View Full Version : Name of a fly

Brian Clemens
08-11-2023, 07:41 PM
Here's my next trivia pursuit question.

Another fly pattern that I can't remember the name. This time, this fly is many years old. It was a production tied fly I think for Idyllwild, but don't quote me on that. This was a killer Oct caddis pattern and would love to find the receipt for it.

Thank you in advance for your help
Brian

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-12-2023, 06:07 AM
https://flyfishusa.com/blog/Giant-Fall-Caddis-A-Trout-s-Last-Big-Meal-Before-Winter

I think it is a Pheasant rump hackle.

Looks kind of like a dragonfly nymph for lakes.

A famous British Columbia lake wet fly is the Carey Special which was put out of business by the Woolly Bugger.

Hackle looks like a pheasant rump.

The Carey Special was tied with a Peacock herl body too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VK_FlvHZpE&t=452s

tcorfey
08-12-2023, 10:29 AM
Could be a variation on a Bunny Grannom Pupa Soft-Hackle?
or a Bunny Spotted Sedge Pupa soft-hackle.
Does look like a pheasant wing.

Smitty Fish
08-12-2023, 02:32 PM
Looks like a cross between a Tiny Dancer- October Caddis type thing?

Brian Clemens
08-12-2023, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys, ya those all look good but not quite there. I use the tiny dancer, but nothing fished as good as this fly on the swing. Till this day trying to find a replacement. Don't know why I didn't posted this in the fly category.

Maybe I'll post it there too.

RoosterHunter
08-12-2023, 07:22 PM
To me it looks like the body is golden burlap and pheasant rump hackle. The golden burlap was used on the burlap golden stone nymph I use to tie for Herb Burton of the Trinity fly shop.
Check you messages

DLJeff
08-21-2023, 03:16 PM
I agree with Jay. That's not dubbing, either burlap or Aunt Lydia's sparkle yarn. Looks like maybe one turn of Hareline UV Polar Chenille under the soft hackle. And I agree with Bill, most likely ringneck pheasant rump feather for the soft hackle. And small black mono eyes of course. Even if I'm wrong, pretty sure you couldn't tell the difference if you tied it that way. Would be a pretty durable fly. Maybe 8-10 turns of 0.2 lead wire under the body if you want it weighted.