PDA

View Full Version : Thinning The Bucktail Herd

willies99
05-14-2023, 12:54 PM
Thinning the herd and selling these bucktails. One lot of 12.

4 ea. - White
2 ea. - Black
1 ea. - Dark Blue
1 ea. - Tan
1 ea. - Olive
1 ea. - Purple
1 ea. - Yellow
1 ea. - Fl. Cerise

$60.00 w/ pickup in Sacramento
plus $12.50, if shipping to CONUS

RoosterHunter
05-14-2023, 05:49 PM
funny, I was just going through my collection of buck tails and was thinking the same thing. Just gotta figure out if I want to part with them. I have around 125 white, 25 olive 25 tan, 20 black, etc, etc. At one time I had 5,000 white buck tails. I use to deal with three taxidermist who were Michigan and MN. But they have both passed away. I was buying them for 50 cents each, deboned. They had a real bad odor, so UPS made sure I was the first delivery in the morning. I also purchased a bunch from Dave Inks when he was part owner of Creative Sports in Walnut Creek. They were premium tails

Lance Gray
05-15-2023, 07:33 AM
I thinned my also. I donate all mine to the healing waters group in Redding. I only use white and gray now and when I do, I tie enough flies that I don't have any materials leftover. The group loves it. My two cents.

DLJeff
05-15-2023, 08:40 AM
funny, I was just going through my collection of buck tails and was thinking the same thing. Just gotta figure out if I want to part with them. I have around 125 white, 25 olive 25 tan, 20 black, etc, etc. At one time I had 5,000 white buck tails. I use to deal with three taxidermist who were Michigan and MN. But they have both passed away. I was buying them for 50 cents each, deboned. They had a real bad odor, so UPS made sure I was the first delivery in the morning. I also purchased a bunch from Dave Inks when he was part owner of Creative Sports in Walnut Creek. They were premium tails

I remember sitting with you at the Sac Show one year and you had a big box full of white bucktails - probably several hundred tails in that one box. You were almost begging tiers to take some off your hands. I took a half dozen off your hands.

RoosterHunter
05-15-2023, 04:00 PM
A few years back. I wish I could run across another 5,000. I talked to a couple of these big outfitters and taxidermist at the shows and told them what I'm looking for. One guy from Rocky Mountain Elk gave me a taxidermists name and I talked with him. He said they throw away thousdands of buck tails a year. He asked what I use them for and he seemed like he could get me some tails. He mentioned that they would probably charge me !.00 each or it I wanted them deboned $1.10. He asked how many I would take and when I told him I would do 5,000 or whatever he could provide he kinda hesitated. then he said he would have to contact a couple other taxidermists to get that many. That's the last I ever heard from him. I still have his card and call him buy no answer
One of these days

DLJeff
05-16-2023, 08:26 AM
I'd be surprised if taxidermist processed that many deer a year. But a deer processor, who butchers deer for the meat, would certainly see a ton of bucktails.