PDA

View Full Version : cleaning fly lines

Sonoman
03-26-2023, 07:58 PM
How do you like to clean and care for fly lines? I have used Dawn dish soap and Rio Agent X cleaner in the past. I stopped by a shop recently and met a guide who does a lot of fishing in MT, ID, and international destinations. He said he cleans his client lines regularly using a chamois to keep from scratching the lines and Armor All. He claimed Armor All is the same stuff as Agent X, but much cheaper. I don't know if this is correct. With lines as expensive as they are, I want to keep them floating and shooting like new. What do you use to clean your freshwater and saltwater lines?

Woodman
03-26-2023, 09:37 PM
How do you like to clean and care for fly lines? I have used Dawn dish soap and Rio Agent X cleaner in the past. I stopped by a shop recently and met a guide who does a lot of fishing in MT, ID, and international destinations. He said he cleans his client lines regularly using a chamois to keep from scratching the lines and Armor All. He claimed Armor All is the same stuff as Agent X, but much cheaper. I don't know if this is correct. With lines as expensive as they are, I want to keep them floating and shooting like new. What do you use to clean your freshwater and saltwater lines?

I use the Rio Wonder Cloth to clean and am very happy with the results. I follow that with an application of Agent X.

Lance Gray
03-27-2023, 12:46 PM
I use the Rio Wonder Cloth to clean and am very happy with the results. I follow that with an application of Agent X.
Spot on. That is what I also do.

dynaflow
03-27-2023, 08:10 PM
Sorry, but your Guide has got this wrong on two counts:

1) Don't use a chamois but a Rio Wonder cloth or similar product from S.A. or simply a soft cloth of some description.

2) NEVER use AmorAll on a fly line unless you're trying to resurrect a line that probably belongs in the bin anyway, and there's no way that AmorAll is the same as Rio's Agent X.

You heard it here....