PDA

View Full Version : A new 'surface fly/popper' that works like a Zara Spook, going side to side.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-11-2023, 05:59 AM
Found this on Dan Blanton's message board.

You can "walk the dog" with it.

Video:

https://youtu.be/QVuFCKrcj9o

Darian
02-11-2023, 08:52 PM
After viewing the video, I'm wondering if this lure has crossed over the line from fly to plug (even though cast on a fly outfit)?? I'm applying the old saying that if it looks like a spook and walks (the dog) like one, it must be a Zara Spook type lure. Besides, it's definitely not a popper, even though very effective,.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-12-2023, 05:56 AM
I will have to buy some and cast them on a fly rod and then cast a Zara Spook the same size.

Worldwide the Zara Spook is the top-selling top water plug for everything from LMB to Stripers to Peacock bass.

__________________________________________________ _

I go down to the fishing piers in Sebastian, Florida fairly often in the AM to fish.

The docks are low to the water for fishing and the water is shallow and usually clear.

Lots of fish hide under the docks, everywhere.

One day at about 9am I showed up late just to see how it was going.

6 old timers were lined up BSing and waiting for another school of Jacks to come in and crash the bait schools.

They said it had happened every morning, early, for about a week.

They show up at 6-7am daily to hit the early morning topwater bite.

They are all about my age and originally from the North East Coast where they fished for Stripers and Bluefish for decades.

They all had medium spinning outfits with a mile of ~20# braid and a 30# Fluorocarbon shock/bite tippet with a Zara Spook.

Some use many other top water lures that compete with the Spook, like the Yo-Zuri Hydro-Pencil or the Rebel Skitter-Pop.

When a big school of Jack Crevalle come into the shallows in the AM or PM it is quite a sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acwYMosm_oI

mems
02-12-2023, 12:06 PM
They are sold out of the "Fly"

Mr T
02-23-2023, 02:43 PM
I have to wonder how and what you cast this with?

dynaflow
02-23-2023, 04:54 PM
Sorry,that is not a Fly...it's a Lure.There's a difference.