PDA

View Full Version : A Really Good Bamboo Story

Tony Buzolich
10-11-2022, 08:49 PM
One of my dearest old friends (Dave Helzer) was a coffee drinker to the max. He drank coffee morning, noon, and night, and every chance he had in between. He worked at Mare Is. and would often stop on his way to work and get gas and more coffee.

He and I would often go fly fishing for shad or stripers when I lived in Napa. His grandfather was also a great flyfisher and used to fish the southern sierras around Yosemite and Mammoth Lake and all that area. One of grandfather's best friends was Ancil Adams who also fly fished as well and took lots of photos of that area. Everything was bamboo back in the day, and several of Ancil Adams bamboo rods got handed down to Dave's grandfather, as they were really good friends.

Well, as time went on grandpa was getting too old to fish anymore and gave Dave all of his split bamboo fly rods including a few of Ancil Adams which were given to him. He died shortly thereafter.

One day Dave came down to our house and said he had a present for me,,, one of his grandpa's fly rods. He knew I'd appreciate it and help him remember his grandpa whenever we talked fishing.

Dave built a nice locker out in his garage and stored all of his rods there, including all of his bamboo.

One morning on his way to work Dave stopped in his garage to top off his coffee mug and left. A few hours went by and the coffee pot out in the garage went dry setting the garage on fire. The fire department came but all was too late. The entire garage and part of the house were nothing but ashes.

Dave was totally devastated. All of those beautiful bamboo fly rods of his grandfather were gone. He only had the memories of fishing with his grandpa and now the rods were gone that he so dearly cherished.

About a month or so goes by and I talk with my wife about how sad Dave is losing the memories of his grandfather in the burn.

Later that day we took the rod that Dave had given to me down to his house and returned it to him. I told him that this rod would mean a lot more to him than just hanging in my den. He broke down in tears and swore he'd put it someplace special if I ever wanted it back. A true friend.
Tony

RSK
10-11-2022, 08:55 PM
Great story Tony. Also shows how sharing with a friend pays off.

Larry S
10-12-2022, 04:41 PM
Indeed, a good story. And Tony, you're a saint!

Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

lee s.
10-12-2022, 04:43 PM
Only YOU Tony! I know you would.
...lee s.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-12-2022, 06:04 PM
It is a small world...........

I looked all over for a photo of Ansel Adams fly fishing but only found one of his photos of someone else?

Tony Buzolich
10-12-2022, 08:13 PM
That may have been a photo of Dave's grandpa ?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-13-2022, 04:29 AM
OMG....I did not think of that.

Rich Morrison
10-13-2022, 03:04 PM
I’d be very curious to hear what sort of rods Ansel Adams fished??!

Mr T
10-14-2022, 09:59 AM
One of my dearest old friends (Dave Helzer) was a coffee drinker to the max. He drank coffee morning, noon, and night, and every chance he had in between. He worked at Mare Is. and would often stop on his way to work and get gas and more coffee.

He and I would often go fly fishing for shad or stripers when I lived in Napa. His grandfather was also a great flyfisher and used to fish the southern sierras around Yosemite and Mammoth Lake and all that area. One of grandfather's best friends was Ancil Adams who also fly fished as well and took lots of photos of that area. Everything was bamboo back in the day, and several of Ancil Adams bamboo rods got handed down to Dave's grandfather, as they were really good friends.

Well, as time went on grandpa was getting too old to fish anymore and gave Dave all of his split bamboo fly rods including a few of Ancil Adams which were given to him. He died shortly thereafter.

One day Dave came down to our house and said he had a present for me,,, one of his grandpa's fly rods. He knew I'd appreciate it and help him remember his grandpa whenever we talked fishing.

Dave built a nice locker out in his garage and stored all of his rods there, including all of his bamboo.

One morning on his way to work Dave stopped in his garage to top off his coffee mug and left. A few hours went by and the coffee pot out in the garage went dry setting the garage on fire. The fire department came but all was too late. The entire garage and part of the house were nothing but ashes.

Dave was totally devastated. All of those beautiful bamboo fly rods of his grandfather were gone. He only had the memories of fishing with his grandpa and now the rods were gone that he so dearly cherished.

About a month or so goes by and I talk with my wife about how sad Dave is losing the memories of his grandfather in the burn.

Later that day we took the rod that Dave had given to me down to his house and returned it to him. I told him that this rod would mean a lot more to him than just hanging in my den. He broke down in tears and swore he'd put it someplace special if I ever wanted it back. A true friend.
Tony

Great story Tony thanks for sharing it.

My dad did a stint at Mare Island up till -48 and he was a serious coffee drinker- morning noon and night. Wonder if that was a navy thing?

Darian
10-14-2022, 06:58 PM
Tony,.... That is a great story!! Mr T, you may be right about the coffee thing. I didn't start drinking coffee seriously, until my stint in the Navy. Every office/shop had a coffee maker in it and was used 24/7 by the all night shifts. :cool:

Tony Buzolich
10-15-2022, 10:29 AM
Bill,

I just got an e-mail back from my old buddy Dave. I had sent him that photo and he said it could well be his grandfather. Hard to tell for sure with only a silhouette but the location is right on.
Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-15-2022, 01:00 PM
In fly fishing it is a small world.........

We would have two guys run into each other at our fly shop who where in the same industry.

One would ask the other, "What are you doing here?" The other one says, "I fly fish."

The first one says, "I fly fish too."

They might have work around each other for many years but had no idea they both loved to fly fish?

Maybe have something on your vehicle, your desk or you clothing, that looks like fly fishing.