PDA

View Full Version : Klamath Update

Jeff F
08-29-2022, 07:48 AM
Spoke with Doug at Marble Mountain Ranch over the weekend. The news was not good.......

He said the river is SLOWLY clearing. It is much different than the turbidity that a rain storm causes, where it clears up rather quickly. He didn't elaborate on the causes of the dirty water, other than it is fire fighting related. He said give it at least 2 weeks, and check back.

I am very surprised about this. Not sure what the issue could be since there hasn't been any rain up there lately. Maybe a slide? Who knows.

Anyway.....that's the scoop from someone who lives on the river. FYI, MM Ranch is just upstream of Somes Bar, for reference.

~Jeff

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-29-2022, 09:24 AM
Thanks Jeff.....

Right from the "horses mouth".

Maybe but October 1st the middle river will be OK?

ycflyfisher
08-29-2022, 02:09 PM
The main stream media IMO hasn't done a very good job describing the event that impacted the river. I've seen articles that describe a landslide/slide and that this was fire related. This was a debris flow that was triggered by a flash flood that dropped ~3 inches of rain in a matter of minutes over an isolated area.

While the fire burn scar definitely magnified the issue it was not the root cause nor was there a slide.

For a better visual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy6Dw6JRvF0

If memory serves comments on the (twitter I think) account of the guy who shot this video said that this was shot about 30 minutes after it started raining.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2022/aug/3/firefighter-hospitalized-after-flash-flood-washed/

Note that it's not raining in the Whitney Creek video when the wall of water and debris impacts the stream channel.

The western perimeter of this rain event was only about 20-25 miles from Happy Camp via 96 and only about ~17 miles or so as the crow flies, yet Indian Creek didn't even rise 10cfs.

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=9530&end=08%2F09%2F2022+10%3A01&geom=huge&interval=10&cookies=CDEC01

What it did to river flows:

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=9111&end=08%2F29%2F2022+10%3A01&geom=huge&interval=55&cookies=CDEC01

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=11332&end=08%2F29%2F2022+11%3A05&geom=huge&interval=35&cookies=CDEC01

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=1128&end=08%2F29%2F2022+09%3A57&geom=huge&interval=30&cookies=CDEC01

Not good.

Al Baltz
08-29-2022, 04:05 PM
Thanks for posting this YCFly. The graphs of flow spikes are mind boggling! I had no idea that they got such a rain dump.
I notice that the Trinity releases were bumped up to 1000cfs a few days ago, which should help clear and cool the lower river.

Jeff F
08-30-2022, 11:40 AM
Wow! Thanks for the info Al.

That debris flow was August 4? Almost a full month ago?. Seems like it must still be flowing silt into the river somewhere if the river is still dirty. Looks like any amount of rain this fall is gonna make the river unfishable. Could be third year in a row for not fishing the mid-Klamath (Covid-Fires-Dirty water).

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-30-2022, 05:40 PM
I guess after they take the first 4 dams out from the ocean we will need a "100 year flood".......?

I really believe that October is the safest month to go, on average, on the middle river.

Jeff F
09-12-2022, 03:01 PM
Another update from Doug at Marble Mountain Ranch today. Not looking good.

Hi Jeff, there has been a pulse release of water from the upstream dams…not sure if they are trying to flush the system, or cool it, or what. However, this has not had an immediate effect on clarity improvements. The flushing may help clarity in the near future however. Currently the Klamath remains muddy in color with poor clarity from about Klamath River, clear down to the confluence with the Trinity. We are hoping for some improvements prior to our guide season start-up in a couple of weeks.

Best regards, Doug

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-12-2022, 04:02 PM
Hopefully the prime month up there, October, it will be good.

November is usually good from Orleans upstream to the Scott river.

Andy
09-13-2022, 09:34 AM
Fished the K way down below Johnsons just before labor day. Water had just come up from Trinity release. Water clarity was an issue though vis was 2-3'. Swinging flies was not productive, I believe due to water clarity. Some bobber guys fished the same riffle and they hooked several steelies, on egg patterns mostly. Fish were there. Spoons worked.

Over the last few days releases from Irongate have reduced vis to 4" in Orleans. The releases are for Karuk ceremonies and are tapering back toward 1000. Clarity issues come from all the sediment that got dumped into river associated with McKinney fire/rain event. Multiple creeks in Klamath River dumped tons into river. Hopeful the pulse right now will push out the loose stuff and river will head back to normal. Fall rains will likely involve much longer clear times this season.

TahoeJoe
09-13-2022, 12:50 PM
Looks like the increase in flows is helping to cool things down. That and the heat wave seems to be over. The Turwar gauge was as low as 68 this morning. It should be cooler than that this time of the year but it's much better than the mid 70s last month.

I'm not a biologist but my guess is that increased flows and cooler water help to limit the spread of the ich parasite and subsequent fish kills.

Jeff F
09-13-2022, 03:04 PM
Fished the K way down below Johnsons just before labor day. Water had just come up from Trinity release. Water clarity was an issue though vis was 2-3'. Swinging flies was not productive, I believe due to water clarity. Some bobber guys fished the same riffle and they hooked several steelies, on egg patterns mostly. Fish were there. Spoons worked.

Over the last few days releases from Irongate have reduced vis to 4" in Orleans. The releases are for Karuk ceremonies and are tapering back toward 1000. Clarity issues come from all the sediment that got dumped into river associated with McKinney fire/rain event. Multiple creeks in Klamath River dumped tons into river. Hopeful the pulse right now will push out the loose stuff and river will head back to normal. Fall rains will likely involve much longer clear times this season.

That's good info. Thanks Andy. Once it starts raining, it could be over. Major buzzkill....

Bwag
09-13-2022, 04:41 PM
Currently sitting on Johnson’s Bar looking at Chocolate Milk. Wasn’t too bad Saturday/Sunday 2’ of vis hooked a few half pounders and a small adult. Clarity started to decrease yesterday and I woke up to brown water this morning. Plenty of salmon rolling in the soft water down river. Didn’t have it in me to pack up, going to go for a nice boat ride in a bit…

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-13-2022, 07:10 PM
Wow.......you are doing it right.......I am happy that you can go.......and in style.

When we went out with our jet boat guides, starting way down at Klamath Glen, we usually go up past Johnson's by mid-day and see the campers

there. You do need a jet boat to do this and that Popup camper is the way to go. This is usually prime time in the lower river but to bad

about the water conditions. I get emotional just looking at your wonderful three pictures.

Thanks Bwag.

Al Baltz
09-14-2022, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the report Bwag. It looks like the water was clear enough to find a few fish. Unless your dog started out white...
Did you drive up from 101 (windy ass road) or come down along 96 from I-5? What did the water look like above or below Johnsons? I'm planning a trip up next week and am trying to decide where to go. Would you lean toward the Klamath or lower Trinity?
Thanks for any advise.

Terry Thomas
09-14-2022, 05:07 PM
The Klamath below Johnson’s was mud yesterday. Close to unfishable the last the last three days for swinging flies. The increased Trinity flows have stirred up the mud and ash in the river. Not sure how long this will last. Good luck.
T.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2022, 06:21 PM
Just talked with Mario Gomez of Ironhead Guide Service out of Happy Camp.

https://ironheadguideservice.com/

Mario said his kids are the fifth generation in Happy Camp.

They have a half-dozen good fishing guides and cover many rivers.

They guide Steelhead on Klamath, Rogue, Umpqua rivers mostly in the Fall and the Smith and Chetco rivers in the Winter.

In the summer Mario is a Wildness Fire Fighter.

In the summer they also have a good rafting business that is just all for fun.

Mario said that there is a hillside, almost to Interstate 5, that burned and every time it rains the ash and mud run into the river.

He also said they just let a big flush of water out of the dam which is helping push the ash and mud down the river.

He said the fishing is pretty good, even in 2 to 3 feet of visibility, and it should get better soon.

Bwag
09-14-2022, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the report Bwag. It looks like the water was clear enough to find a few fish. Unless your dog started out white...
Did you drive up from 101 (windy ass road) or come down along 96 from I-5? What did the water look like above or below Johnsons? I'm planning a trip up next week and am trying to decide where to go. Would you lean toward the Klamath or lower Trinity?
Thanks for any advise.

Water was pretty good Saturday... Dog was brown/gray from the get go, but I think a white one would come out about the same at this point. I try to avoid 101, got burned out on that the past few years due to the fires along 299. Water from probably the mouth for sure up past Weitchepec is brown, I'd guess it's brown all the way up to where the fire is. It's dropping at Johnsons, based on the comment above regarding labor day and water clarity, maybe it takes a week to clear? Drove home today, saw a few guys fishing the Trinity from the confluence up to Junction City. Guides are still taking boats up the Klamath, I'd guess they are fishing lures or bait, can't imagine fishing a fly in that water right now. I'd for sure say lower Trinity over the Klamath today, in a week? Tough call, Maybe take a drive to Weitchepec and if it's clear there I'd say it's a good bet it's clear all the way down. I've got a friend who's headed up the 17th, he'll send me a report and I'll pass it on. We live pretty close to each other, I'm in Clayton.

Bwag
09-14-2022, 07:37 PM
Thanks Bill. Wish I could have fished it during your time. Still a bunch of Campers at the top of Johnson's each season. I'm always at the bottom, the old Doctor's cabin is there, I try to sleep within shouting distance for the AM wake up!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2022, 09:15 PM
Many years ago we sold these nice little paper back books by Jim Freeman with little hand drawn maps.

He published about 8-10 books ?

Trinity River Fishing

Klamath River Fishing

California Steelhead Fishing

Practical Steelhead Fishing

California Trout Fishing

Shasta Lake Fishing

Fishing with Small Fry

Fly Fishing the Sierras

His books had good advice because he fished all those areas for years.

He said when you are fishing the Steelhead to keep moving until you find parked cars, boats in the river and people fishing.

tcorfey
09-15-2022, 11:50 AM
Fished upper Trinity from pontoon boats first half of last week, then down to the Glen on the Klamath for last Thursday and Friday. Klamath at the Glen had 2'-3' of visibility, slow fishing swinging streamers. Nets and flossers got a few. Trinity was much clearer at least 8'-10' visibility fishing was slow mostly smaller fish except for one day that was cloudy had better returns.

Bit of a warning: We camped down near the 101 bridge and had a bear come into camp. He knew what he was doing, climbed in to the bed of a pickup and found the bag with freeze dried food in it's original packaging and had a meal. Did not disturb any of the other stuff in the bed.

Al Baltz
09-15-2022, 02:19 PM
Here are a couple of pictures taken earlier today in the Happy Camp area. Up stream of Indian Creek. Looks pretty murky.

Bwag
09-15-2022, 02:42 PM
I’ve seen more bears this season than in the past. Usually they seem to be in a hurry to get away from me and the dog, not this season. Heard a splash one evening sitting by the fire, got my light, straight across from camp on the other side was a bear, I guess the light was enough to make it get back on the bank and find another spot to cross.

Al Baltz
09-15-2022, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the update. I'd be interested in whatever report you get on the 17th. I'll send you a PM.

itsbenlong
09-29-2022, 07:11 PM
Anyone have a recent update on the water clarity around Happy Camp?

matt johnson
10-01-2022, 09:33 AM
I took a look at the river yesterday (9/30) below Orleans and did not like what I saw. Murky brown. I spent a good 5 minutes contemplating suiting up and walking into to a favorite run but ultimately drove away. Some friends did a float above Some Bar that day and had really tough fishing- not sure that they caught anything? I fished my way up the Trinity to the Straw House. Light pressure for a Friday and I got some good swings in but no grabs or fish of any kind observed. The upper river may be a better bet momentarily as the recent pulse flow may have sucked the fish upriver? I came to realize that my waders were toast and was fishing and hiking with a few cups of unwanted water. Pizza night at the Straw House sucked me in and I called the day a little early and savored dry socks and underwear and a beer on the patio.

I would say the Klamath below the burn area is not completely unfishable. There was about a foot of visibility yesterday. Maybe? I would suggest a sink-tip and a flashy fly and fish in sunlight- kind of the opposite of the normal approach right now. And maybe conditions change day to day? Its a bummer.

itsbenlong
10-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Hey Matt, thanks for the update. Any chance you took some water temps? I'll probably "swing" by the Klamath anyway for a check as well. I have a handful of fly's that work pretty well on the K when the water is off and full of ash, as long as the temps are down. Otherwise, I will give those fish a rest and head further north. Usually we are praying for rain but most likely it will get worse when we start getting some up there.

matt johnson
10-01-2022, 11:43 AM
No, sorry. Did not grab a water temp. Agree about the rain. In this case a dry fall will help more than hurt fishing conditions below Happy Camp…

Bwag
10-02-2022, 07:16 AM
Hey Matt, thanks for the update. Any chance you took some water temps? I'll probably "swing" by the Klamath anyway for a check as well. I have a handful of fly's that work pretty well on the K when the water is off and full of ash, as long as the temps are down. Otherwise, I will give those fish a rest and head further north. Usually we are praying for rain but most likely it will get worse when we start getting some up there.

USGS website for the past week showing temps at Orleans 66-64.

MThompson
10-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Well, maybe next year...
Doubt it though.

winxp_man
10-05-2022, 01:12 PM
The idea is to take down the dams starting next year. So if that happens and no more damn postponements it might be at minimum 2 years before the river will fish good again. I’m thinking 3-4 years. Then again rain will also dictated what happens.

hwchubb
10-14-2022, 01:36 PM
I went to Green Riffle last Sunday, and the water temp was 62 at around 9 AM. In full sun, a size 3 black and blue spey pattern disappeared into the murk less than 1’ down. I can’t imagine it fishing at all before the rains start, and then it will only get worse. Hoping for some heavy flows that will hopefully spread out and clear the silt for next year.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-14-2022, 05:20 PM
This Fall you could fish the Trinity, Rouge, Umpqua, Deschutes, Grande Rhonde and/or John Day rivers?

Naturally, you would have to check the regulations and conditions.

Terry Thomas
10-15-2022, 06:47 AM
The John Day is closed.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-15-2022, 01:03 PM
Thanks Terry................

Some years back the John Day River had a huge Fall run and Terry and other friends hit it real good.

TahoeJoe
10-17-2022, 12:35 PM
The Klamath was still pretty muddy above Somes Bar last Friday (roughly the same area as hwchubb was fishing). Visibility was around 2-3 feet - not productive fishing. There are probably fish there but it's hard to get their attention.

We relocated to the Trinity and found very low, clear, water and a few fish but at least it was fishable.

PV_Premier
10-18-2022, 12:19 PM
We relocated to the Trinity and found very low, clear, water and a few fish but at least it was fishable.

How are the water temps on the T?

cutthroat22
10-18-2022, 02:48 PM
How are the water temps on the T?

Mid 50's above the NF. Around 60 degrees in Hoopa. Cool enough to not stress fish and warm enough for them to chase on the surface. Not a lot of steelhead yet.

They dropped the flows out of the dam from 450 cfs to 300 cfs so it is very low and clear.