PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone fished the Lower Yuba lately?

Pvillarr
08-01-2022, 10:52 AM
I saw the fishing report on Kiene's webpage, but I would appreciate some more reports too. Thanks in advance!

TahoeJoe
08-01-2022, 11:47 AM
I went a week ago. We fished late and were hoping for a hatch towards sundown, it never happened. Surface insect activity was minimal to non-existant. Hopper dropper was ineffective for us too. Streamers fished deep worked but even that was pretty slow.

This monsoon weather may have mixed things up but I didn't try over the last few days.

Pvillarr
08-01-2022, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the update. I did get into a caddis evening hatch two weekends ago and that was pretty fun while swinging a caddis wet fly pattern. I also heard the evening hatches haven't been occuring recently, which is unfortunate. I am curious about what streamer worked for you. Thanks!

I went a week ago. We fished late and were hoping for a hatch towards sundown, it never happened. Surface insect activity was minimal to non-existant. Hopper dropper was ineffective for us too. Streamers fished deep worked but even that was pretty slow.

This monsoon weather may have mixed things up but I didn't try over the last few days.

TahoeJoe
08-01-2022, 01:49 PM
Olive and black sculpin pattern with a helmet head on a full sink streamer line. As close to the bottom as I could get. It's kind of a chuck it and duck it pattern.

Pvillarr
08-01-2022, 01:58 PM
Thanks! I need to try that out.

Olive and black sculpin pattern with a helmet head on a full sink streamer line. As close to the bottom as I could get. It's kind of a chuck it and duck it pattern.

PV_Premier
08-01-2022, 05:20 PM
Swinging small sculps on a type 3 or type 5 tip can be effective in the doldrums of summer. Hopper fishing usually gets better in mid August or so. I haven’t been to the Yuba in months though.

Pvillarr
08-01-2022, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I am in search of an easy tie sculpin pattern to use.

Swinging small sculps on a type 3 or type 5 tip can be effective in the doldrums of summer. Hopper fishing usually gets better in mid August or so. I haven’t been to the Yuba in months though.

Rossflyguy
08-01-2022, 05:37 PM

A tungsten been with a rabbit fur collar and a rabbit strip behind it will be enough for that place. You could even tie a surgeons knot and add another streamer to the setup so it looks like a small group of sculpin scurrying through the rocks.

PV_Premier
08-01-2022, 05:37 PM
A small olive squirrel leech is a pretty easy tie and ought to be effective

Pvillarr
08-01-2022, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-01-2022, 06:00 PM
Good stuff PV

30 years ago before Andy Guibord got a boat and started fly fishing for Stripers he was a very serious lower Yuba river "Rat".

Andy knows all the bugs well there and the timings.

Mid-summer I heard Andy recommend small Dave's hoppers fished along the edges on windy afternoons.

Andy Guibord and Mark Kranhold kind of pioneered the Sculpin pattern and fishing technique on the American river, maybe 20 years ago.

My friend Rich Plath fished the Yuba for a long time and I think he said he mostly swings an Olive Woolley Bugger on a sink-tip.

Another old friend who did lots of raft trips down our West slope rivers always used a black Woolley Bugger on a sink-tip.

TahoeJoe
08-02-2022, 10:35 AM
The helmet head sculpin is pretty easy to tie. Using the helmet head was an experiment and I like the result. The head has a weighted keel design that helps to keep the hook from snagging on the bottom. I used mirabou for the tail, shaggy ice dubbing in a loop, tapered thicker towards the head then palmered over with a webby soft saddle hackle. I added a couple of barred olive hackles out the sides behind the head to simulate the pectoral fins. Finally, put the head on and locked it in. I only used 1 feather for the tail, the next tie will have two after seeing the fly wet in the water. The recipe on the package uses bunny strips and that works. It's pretty easy to tie too but I'm not a fan of casting wet and soggy rabbit hide. YMMV

A tungsten bead, black and olive woolly bugger would work. I've used it in the past and it's still a standby for a sculpin imitation. The helmet head that I described above could qualify as a woolly bugger variant. The other suggestions for flies are probably just as good, just not what I use.

Getting the fly on the bottom is key. Some sort of sinking line or tip really helps.

Pvillarr
08-02-2022, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info. That sounds easy enough. I just bought some fish skull sculpin helmets to try out.

The helmet head sculpin is pretty easy to tie. Using the helmet head was an experiment and I like the result. The head has a weighted keel design that helps to keep the hook from snagging on the bottom. I used mirabou for the tail, shaggy ice dubbing in a loop, tapered thicker towards the head then palmered over with a webby soft saddle hackle. I added a couple of barred olive hackles out the sides behind the head to simulate the pectoral fins. Finally, put the head on and locked it in. I only used 1 feather for the tail, the next tie will have two after seeing the fly wet in the water. The recipe on the package uses bunny strips and that works. It's pretty easy to tie too but I'm not a fan of casting wet and soggy rabbit hide. YMMV

A tungsten bead, black and olive woolly bugger would work. I've used it in the past and it's still a standby for a sculpin imitation. The helmet head that I described above is could qualify as a woolly bugger variant. The other suggestions for flies are probably just as good, just not what I use.

Getting the fly on the bottom is key. Some sort of sinking line or tip really helps.

mattv-mcfly
08-03-2022, 08:04 PM
I fished it above the bridge right before it closed. I was in my raft and was able to cover some good amount of water and found the fish in the deep stuff below riffles and near structure like the rock walls. I sampled a few and they were on all sorts of bugs. I found mostly midges and small rock worms. I had takes on stoneflies, mayflies, and caddis nymphs. Hopper dropper was a bust.

Brian Clemens
08-03-2022, 08:32 PM
Been killing it swinging meat on trout speys as well as hoppers/big stimis at the bank. While bobbers have been down right dirty for numbers, we are seeing good results with the first 2 so we only do the bobbers in the deeper holes. Rivers high, 1800cubes so wade carefully.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2022, 06:37 AM
Thanks Brian...we appreciate your great knowledge that you share freely.

I know a little about fishing all over the World, but nothing to compare to the knowledge of a top local guide on his or her fisheries.

Like the lower American river, we are also very fortunate to have the "pristine" lower Yuba river so close by.

Lucas Dement
08-04-2022, 09:26 AM
I went on tuesday and it was tough. Swinging buggers and small zonkers didnt produce but I managed to tight line a solid fish out of a deep backeddy with a rubber legs

Brian, please pass some swing mojo onto me, the fish never sniff my flies

Pvillarr
08-04-2022, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the update. Are you referring to last season regarding the closure? I thought it closed on August 31st from HWY 20 bridge on up.

I fished it above the bridge right before it closed. I was in my raft and was able to cover some good amount of water and found the fish in the deep stuff below riffles and near structure like the rock walls. I sampled a few and they were on all sorts of bugs. I found mostly midges and small rock worms. I had takes on stoneflies, mayflies, and caddis nymphs. Hopper dropper was a bust.

Pvillarr
08-04-2022, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the report, Brian. It sounds like you are covering a good amount of water but making it worth it.

Been killing it swinging meat on trout speys as well as hoppers/big stimis at the bank. While bobbers have been down right dirty for numbers, we are seeing good results with the first 2 so we only do the bobbers in the deeper holes. Rivers high, 1800cubes so wade carefully.

Lance Gray
08-04-2022, 03:39 PM
Barr's Slumpbuster in Olive Size 6 and the Scupzilla Olive Size 4.

They are my top producers!

Pvillarr
08-04-2022, 04:29 PM
Thanks for sharing, Lance!

Barr's Slumpbuster in Olive Size 6 and the Scupzilla Olive Size 4.

They are my top producers!

Brian Clemens
08-04-2022, 08:06 PM
I throw the same, but sz8s, but anything sz8-sz4 (sz4 can be tough on trout speys) olives, browns, blacks, combos of these colors. I've noticed it's not about the color, but about presentation and the right water.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-05-2022, 08:10 AM
I always thought that Half-pounders and early Fall Steelhead were best in the low light of the AM, PM and overcast days.

Well, that is because I fish on or near the surface mostly..........Dah.

In this warm weather, clear skies and maybe warm water of late summer and early fall I found the Steelhead were down in the deepest, darkest, faster runs with the early salmon for oxygen.

Probably 20 years ago top fly fisher Jim Christensen and I were in one of my small jet boats between Gristmill and Watt.

It was mid-day in September and we were getting ready to call it a day when Jim stopped us on a familiar deep riffle.

He said he had found Half-ponders in this "long walk in" run before.

He had a G.Loomis 10' #5 line GLX with a WF7F, very long 12'? leader and weighted olive woolly bugger?

Jim let me try his rod and told met to cast across and just keep mending.

I could feel it occasionally touching the bottom in this deep, faster run and then hooked a nice Half-pounder.

I think we caught maybe 3-5 fish and it was a learning event for me, as usual when I fished with a very good angler.

I was lucky to be invited by Terry Thomas, a world class fly fisher, to go on 2 of their fall trips to the lower Klamath river.

Terry and his group of friends usually go 2-3 times a year to jet boat the lower Klamath river for Steelhead and salmon.

They usually go first in August hoping to get some Steelhead action and take a few small fresh salmon home to eat.

On one of those early trips we fly fished out of a jet boat from Klamath Glenn, near the mouth, up to around Johnson's Bar.

We fly fished for Steelhead for 3 days and them the last day before going home we drifted fresh roe for salmon.

These early salmon were in the deepest, fast, narrow dark runs on the bottom to get oxygen in the warm water.

While doing this I hooked a nice 8 pound fresh run adult Steelhead that we quickly released.

In July, August and September the salmon and steelhead like the deep, dark, fast runs and anywhere that cold water from spring or

tributaries is found, like Blue Creek.

I really like to fish the Klamath river in October because as the water cools you will find the steelhead in the tailouts more.

Then I can get them on or near the surface with a floating line, leader the length of my rod and an unweighted fly.

Love those "boils and yanks"" on the take in a nice smooth tailout.........with a "rachet reel" of coarse.

Early and late in the day in October you can sometimes see steelhead surfacing/rolling in the smooth tailouts at the end of a pool.

Tony Buzolich
08-05-2022, 04:38 PM
I was on the "Lower Yuba" yesterday. Here's where we need to ask "What do you call the Lower Yuba? The lower Yuba to me means from the mouth where it joins the Feather to upstream to ???. To other folks the "lower Yuba" means from Parks Bar down to DeGuarre Pt. dam.

I fish mainly striped bass and for me the mouth is a great starting point which permits me to fish both the Yuba and the Feather. Going upstream I'm limited because of my prop. Others with a small jet boat can go all the way to the dam. And yes, there are stripers there pretty much year round.
Tony

Brian Clemens
08-05-2022, 05:54 PM
Hey Tony
I guide both sections and I call hwy20 down upper lower Yuba, then daguerre down lower lower Yuba.
Also need to get another Tonys Stripping Basket

Hey Bill
I had the pleasure of guiding Terry last year on the Trinity and we did extremely well mid/late Sept. Once again this year I'll have the same pleasure but this year Jim will be along for the rode. Dry lines n muddlers, grease lining with traditional speys.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-06-2022, 05:43 AM
Thanks Brian, you are a 'class act' and I really appreciate you being here to help keep the real fly fishing alive.

There is nothing wrong with some indicator fishing but it should be only part of the mix....not the entire movie.

Pupa
08-12-2022, 12:02 PM
Any recent reports on evening hatches? I remember years ago the summer evening caddis hatch and pmd's were sizzling...

Mike Churchill
08-13-2022, 04:24 PM
Floated HWY 20 to Sycamore Wednesday afternoon and evening. Although numerous dragonflies were hunting over the water, all we saw before 7:00 was a few micro Caddis or midges that were smaller than a size 20. No rising fish until about 7:00, when we saw a half dozen or so and a few cream colored Caddis in the 12-14 range flew by. Total skunk for us but we did pass a large trout swimming upstream as we floated by. Looked to be around 22-24 inches. We will probably try again next Friday

Pupa
08-15-2022, 11:54 AM
Thanks Mike. Hopefully the action will start picking up once the flows drop and the weather starts cooling...

Tony Buzolich
08-17-2022, 07:07 AM
Jim and I fished the lower Feather the other day and it was thick with caddis. Interesting, we didn't see anything actively eating them.
They were everywhere though.
Tony

PV_Premier
09-16-2022, 05:15 PM
Any recent Yuba intel? Considering a drive up tomorrow or Sunday.

Pvillarr
09-16-2022, 05:22 PM
Any recent Yuba intel? Considering a drive up tomorrow or Sunday.

It's been a few weeks now but I did have some luck right before the closure. I was swinging a caddis emerger pattern and was lucky enough to get some action. Another gentleman caught one using a yellow stimulator. Also, if you find a Perrine #9 fly box by the run right at the bridge, please let me know since I lost mine there.

Smitty Fish
09-16-2022, 07:41 PM
Was thinking of going, changed my mind once I saw they dropped the flows down to
723 cfs.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-16-2022, 09:56 PM
Great for wading?

Smitty Fish
09-16-2022, 10:59 PM
Yes Bill easy wading. I like the flows to be a little higher for swinging and more water for
People to spread out .

James T
10-13-2022, 08:57 PM
Going to float tomorrow despite the low (but rising!) flows.

Blue fishcat pontoon - say hi if you see me, I've got beers and candy.

PV_Premier
10-22-2022, 06:05 PM
Went today and my report, channeling my inner Jim Mora - “it stunk”.

Counted 10 boats and saw some other W&W anglers despite getting as far from the easy parking spots as possible. Some salmon now up on redds but based on my lack of success the trout haven’t found them yet. That, or I am the one who stinks.

Pvillarr
10-23-2022, 08:57 AM
That’s a lot of boats!

Went today and my report, channeling my inner Jim Mora - “it stunk”.

Counted 10 boats and saw some other W&W anglers despite getting as far from the easy parking spots as possible. Some salmon now up on redds but based on my lack of success the trout haven’t found them yet. That, or I am the one who stinks.

fivefingers
10-24-2022, 03:21 PM
That’s a lot of boats!

That's *too many* boats.

PV_Premier
10-25-2022, 03:03 PM
it was a big of a gong show. i should have just gone to Putah i guess.

WLREDBAND
10-25-2022, 09:37 PM
UMMMMM, you do realize that when a fishery is discussed all over the interwebs, including this forum, the end result is gonna be crowds. And unfortunately with that popularity comes guides in boats.

amoeba
10-28-2022, 09:01 PM
Farmer bros coffee with cream color today, nobody at 20, 1 trailer at syc ranch and 4 other yahoos like me casting various after a whole lot of no action. cold water...55ish

peterkoistinen
10-28-2022, 09:09 PM
Farmer bros coffee with cream color today, nobody at 20, 1 trailer at syc ranch and 4 other yahoos like me casting various after a whole lot of no action. cold water...55ish

what's causing the colored water? was there rain?

Pvillarr
10-28-2022, 09:09 PM

Colored up, huh? I heard there were some rises last night. Unfortunately I wasn’t the one there lol.

Smitty Fish
10-28-2022, 09:58 PM
Looks like the flows went up a little. Maybe that caused it?

Spicytuna1
11-02-2022, 03:28 PM
My brothers and I floated Saturday the 29th and visibility was great, loved the fact we were the only boat. The fishing was decent not yet wide open but not terrible. Was happy to see some Salmon in the river and can't wait to see how much more this rain will bring in, after I heard Redding is void of Salmon. No fish on eggs yet all on bugs the soft walking pace water seemed to hold the most fish. Fish were all healthy and my biggest fish had some copepods on the tail, woohoo. They were very picky on the flies and if you didn't match what they were looking for then you don't get eaten. Get technical and change flies till you hook fish.

James T
12-29-2022, 07:22 PM
Anyone have eyes on the river lately? Is it muddied up from the rain?

Woodman
12-30-2022, 09:31 AM
Anyone have eyes on the river lately? Is it muddied up from the rain?

If Deer Creek is running at 2000 cfs then the Yuba is muddied up.

E.Drucker
12-30-2022, 07:33 PM
If Deer Creek is running at 2000 cfs then the Yuba is muddied up.

its running about 5700 right now. flows are perfect! go get em ;)

bonish
12-31-2022, 01:04 PM
its running about 5700 right now. flows are perfect! go get em ;)

Now 14K at Smartsville and 22K at Marysville. Hopefully this pushes the gravel around from the various habitat restoration projects at Long Bar and below Daguerre. Haven't checked it out yet, but it would be great if they dug the channel at Long Bar deep enough to prevent vehicle crossings there.

Troutsource
04-04-2023, 06:10 PM
Maybe I'm losing my mind or it was an old/other post, but did someone say you can no longer launch a boat from the 20 bridge access?

Greg Vinci
04-13-2023, 11:26 AM
Was at the river on Saturday for our Kiene's clinic and observed that the river is still running high but the water has cleared up nicely to a steelhead green with about a three ft visibility. Scuddlebut from guides is that they have been doing real well floating from the bridge to sycamore. Fish are more towards the edges right now.