PDA

View Full Version : Fall is coming soon so where are you going?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2022, 07:21 AM
Fall is called the "Second Season" by many outdoors folks.

Some will save, "Why can't we have more than one October?"

Yes, on average, October is the best month for fly fishing for many in Nor Cal.

Another saying is, "As the nights cool down in the Fall, the fish get to feeding up more for Winter."

September can still be warm. November can get too cold some years, but October is always "just right".

October is "not too cold and not too warm".

Fall weather is still pretty dependable in Nor Cal.

You have far too many choices in the Fall........Sept/Oct/Nov.

Fall "greased line" Steelheading is very popular now, especially with the 'two-handed' fly fishers.

Large mid-elevation trout steams start to fish better.

Many mid-elevation trout lake turn on too.

Stripers come into the Delta for the Fall and Winter.

Bass & Panfish like the early Fall weather too.

We have runs of King salmon and Silver salmon in the Fall too.

Where are you going this Fall?

Smitty Fish
07-30-2022, 11:52 AM
Fish the Klamath or The Trinity for steelhead. Fall is my favorite time to fish!

Idadon
07-30-2022, 02:31 PM
Early October, if I can wait that long, we will head for our winter home. Plan on spending about 7 months down there if things work out like planned.��

Carl Blackledge
07-30-2022, 03:56 PM
Hey Bill,

I am thinking heading back to Mexico for some more Dorado and Roosters in Mid-September.

Carl Blackledge

Lucas Dement
07-31-2022, 08:16 AM
Stuck at work so pounding the delta for bass and stripers.

Brian Clemens
07-31-2022, 07:45 PM
If all goes well, Ill be working/fishing both the Lower Klamath and Trinity from beginning of Sept on through till mid Oct. Then spend some time on the Yuba/Feather. From there up north and down here back n forth every 2 weeks. The big plan this year is to fish the coast a bit more when I have time.

Currently still hitting the stripers hard and finding some nice trout swinging the trout speys.

Lucas Dement
07-31-2022, 11:16 PM
Ditto on the trout speys, 6 grabs, 3 hookups and 2 nice fish lost tonight

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-01-2022, 04:48 AM
Stuck at work so pounding the delta for bass and stripers.

Nothing wrong with that Lucas.....

Our "Delta" is the "Seventh Wonder of the World" for many.

Lucas Dement
08-04-2022, 11:43 AM
Oh absolutely not I love the Delta, was raised out here since I was a kid

tcorfey
08-06-2022, 02:38 PM
At the end of the month I will be in Alaska, first week of September out with Brian Clemens for a couple of days and then up to Oregon for Rogue on the fly. Have to work out my other plans yet.

PV_Premier
08-06-2022, 03:51 PM
I would like to get up to the Trinity this year, last year was the first year in many that I did not visit due to competing obligations. If I do, it won't be until either November, or late December.

We will see though, I am going back to Idaho at the end of August, then Fernie for a few days over Labor Day, then probably go back to Idaho in late September/early October for a couple of weeks and have an international trip at the back end of October and another in early December.

gitt
08-06-2022, 04:04 PM
Heading to Dutch John tomorrow for a week. Then up to the Williamson 10 days later. Mid September off to Alaska for silvers followed by Baja's La Ventana early October for dorado, roosters, sierras, jacks and my preferred species, pelicanos.

Photo below is from the Green early last month. Fished dries to rising trout and targeted this fish under a shadowy overhang with a size 14 elk hair caddis on a Sage LL 5 wt. Hope to do the same, but with a stiffer rod.

Mr T
08-08-2022, 10:13 AM
Spain for a few weeks. Not sure how the fishing is there frankly.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-09-2022, 05:58 PM
There was a nice attorney from Spain we knew maybe 20 years ago.

He said they had fly fishing in Spain...I imagine it would be in the higher elevations.

PV_Premier
08-14-2022, 08:42 PM
Fishing in Spain is supposed to be good! The Pyrenees have some beautiful streams and trout I hear.

Today was the last day of the summer that the sun set after 8pm in Sacramento. Depressing. The next time the sun will set after 8pm is May 4, 2023. Ugh.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-15-2022, 05:45 AM
Fishing in Spain is supposed to be good! The Pyrenees have some beautiful streams and trout I hear.

Today was the last day of the summer that the sun set after 8pm in Sacramento. Depressing. The next time the sun will set after 8pm is May 4, 2023. Ugh.

Yes PV, but one of the best months for fly fishing in Northern California is coming soon, October!

Fall King Salmon come in from the Pacific ocean into all our Valley rivers to spawn and die.

Steelhead also come in from the salt water to spawn in our long rivers but only a small amount die.

Stripers come in from the ocean to spend the Winter in the huge Sacramento/San Juaquin Delta

Trout in mid-elevation streams and lakes go on the bite as the water cools off in the Fall.

Bass& panfish are happier as the low elevation water cool off some.

October can even be good over on the Pacific coast as we get what is called "the indian summer".

September can still be pretty warm.

November can turn cold very fast.

But October is normally "just right".

Let me know if you need any help planning a trip in October.