PDA

View Full Version : August is the time to get cooler.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-24-2022, 08:45 AM
August is usually the most popular month for vacations for people in California.

We need to head East to to the higher elevations in our mountains, maybe 8,000 feet? This is where you wear your hooded sweatshirt

around the camp fire at night. This is the time for horse and mule high country pack trips.

Or drive West over to the cool Pacific coast where highs all summer are 65 degrees. This is where you also take your hooded sweatshirt.

We love to go to Lawson's Landing at the mouth of Tomales Bay to fish inside the bay, clam and crab. Nice seafood and fresh air too.

Where are you headed?

Idadon
07-24-2022, 06:04 PM
I truly miss Bodega & Tomales Bays!!

gitt
07-24-2022, 06:25 PM
It was 106º in Kenwood Wednesday. Drove over to Bodega Bay where it was only 50º with the fog on the deck.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-25-2022, 07:51 AM
That is so "cool" gitt.

Marilyn and I probably miss the Pacific coast more than anything.

We love Lawson's Landing camp ground on the mouth of Tomales Bay.

With our small motorhome and skiff we could crab, clam and catch Stripers and halibut.

Tomales Bay is an amazing, mostly calm place, to kayak or use a SUP.

The staff over there at the boathouse store will help you with the fishing, crabbing, clamming, tides, etc.

Fishing report at Lawson's: https://fishlawsons.blogspot.com/

In Florida we get some "cold snaps" down from the Arctic in the winter but they only last about 3-5 days.

A friend of mine and his family are exploring the Oregon coast as we speak.

gitt
07-25-2022, 08:35 PM
Hit Princeton/Half Moon Bay today. The south jetty of Princeton had diving birds chasing a large pod of bait fish. More than likely it was anchovy. One could see that the surface texture was darker than the surrounding water as well as possessing that nervous water look. Air temp was 61º.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-25-2022, 08:45 PM
They have been getting more anchovies inside Tomales Bay in the past few years.

This has helped bring in small to medium size Halibut and some nice Stripers too.