PDA

View Full Version : Line advise

ICE
04-25-2022, 09:39 PM
Greetings,
I'm planning a trip to Steinhatchee, FL (posted in the travel section). And am considering fly lines. And looking for advise.
I have some RIO Outbound Short cold water salt F & I lines. I also have an assortment of shooting heads. Should I spend the money on a new (or used) Redfish / warm water line? I anticipate 3 days fishing shallow turtle grass flats? Alternating with spinning gear.
Thoughts
Thanks,
J Ice

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-26-2022, 04:31 AM
In June it will be warm so for casting off the hot front deck of a boat you will want a stiffer 'tropical / warm water' line.

I honestly see very little sinking lines being used for Redfish but who knows?

I would buy a new Rio Redfish WF8F 'tropical / warm water' line and put it on the spool after removing your Rio OBS Intermediate.

Have you Rio OBS floater cold water as a back up or for wading.

Mr T
04-27-2022, 03:28 PM
I use an Airflo Redfish line for my 8 weight when I go to Florida, very happy with the way it holds up - a couple days out there is rough on a line.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2022, 05:37 PM
Rio, Scientific Angler/Master, Airflo and Cortland all make their own fly lines and are all good.

Companies like Orvis, LL Bean, Bass Pro/Cabelas, Etc. have their fly lines made by the companies above and are good too.

They will all have different tapers and weights though.....

ICE
04-27-2022, 07:47 PM
Thanks Fellas,
I'm keeping an eye out for some used lines and flies.