PDA

View Full Version : McCloud Arm Pilot Project

ricards
03-06-2022, 11:24 AM
An interesting pilot project to return winter-run Chinook Salmon to their historical habitat.

https://water.ca.gov/News/News-Releases/2021/Feb-21/Salmon-Pilot-Project

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-06-2022, 02:53 PM
Very exciting............

Andy
03-29-2022, 01:41 PM
...there's a big concrete wall in the way of either adults returning or smolts leaving.

Andy

Andy
03-29-2022, 01:50 PM
guess I should've kept reading. Another trucking fish around the dam plan based on the success of all the similar trucking efforts. Great way to spend funds though. At least they got all the buzz words: climate change, resilience, collaboration, partners, blah blah blah.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-30-2022, 02:04 PM
Yes....they have spent a "K-Zillion" dollars on the salmon/steelhead runs on the Columbia river drainage with little success.

CA has been trying to get wild Silver salmon going on the coastal rivers with little success?

On the Northeast Atlantic salmon rivers it has been terrible.

The only thing that works well is to blow the dams, can the hatcheries and slow down the agriculture water needs and pollution?

We need to find the rivers that have the possibility of a wide open / no dam situation with little agriculture and wild fish only.

I would go for 'catch and release', barbless single hook, artificials only on some special rivers.

After that the fish God will take over.

Some predict a World War might be over commercial fish (protein) harvesting in the oceans?

The fisheries people tell us that sport fishing has little effect on fisheries.

They said that fly fishing had zero effect in the big picture.

Commercial fishing, poaching and destroying the ecosystem is the problem.

We have poisoned the entire World, including the oceans. I have little hope..........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ runs it all.