PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Spillway Dump

Mark Kranhold
02-25-2022, 01:48 PM
Spillway dump on my bike ride today! I’ve always wanted to swing and strip that section down there for some monster Rainbows.

Mr T
02-25-2022, 02:17 PM
Wait- folsom is full now?

Mark Kranhold
02-25-2022, 02:25 PM
Wait- folsom is full now?

No, not even close!

mogaru
02-25-2022, 04:10 PM
And then, they will start talking about the global warming and the drought ...........let's start by saying no to very poor water management and wasting water.

Natekursow
02-25-2022, 07:37 PM
Spillway dump on my bike ride today! I’ve always wanted to swing and strip that section down there for some monster Rainbows.

I met someone on the lower reaches of Natomas. Said he's caught some monster bows on the fly! Had the pictures to prove it too...:eek:

NK

Mark Kranhold
02-25-2022, 09:02 PM
Yes, the state record Rainbow comes out of Natoma, have a friend that does well there. Would love to fish up in that area of photo but it’s closed to the public.

David Lee
02-25-2022, 10:20 PM
We bait fished it years ago . Landed them to 11 Lbs. , lost them to perhaps 14 Lbs. ? Lots of large Sculpin on the bottom there above the bridge . I tried fly fishing it , but the water is over 20 feet and there are many large fly-eating rocks .

I understand that since Trout stocking stopped , Rainbows are pretty rare in Natoma . I fished the lower lake HARD out of a tube for several years , took a handful of stockers to 16 inches , one very large Catfish (#10 Prince Nymph) , and nothing else .

D.~

Natekursow
02-26-2022, 12:04 PM
We bait fished it years ago . Landed them to 11 Lbs. , lost them to perhaps 14 Lbs. ? Lots of large Sculpin on the bottom there above the bridge . I tried fly fishing it , but the water is over 20 feet and there are many large fly-eating rocks .

I understand that since Trout stocking stopped , Rainbows are pretty rare in Natoma . I fished the lower lake HARD out of a tube for several years , took a handful of stockers to 16 inches , one very large Catfish (#10 Prince Nymph) , and nothing else .

D.~

I've only fished there once, but found a spot with big bass and hooked one about 5-6lbs on a clouser... had my trout tippet on though and he broke me off.

NK

hwchubb
03-06-2022, 10:39 AM
I didn’t realize that they had stopped stocking Natoma. I used to fish it for smallies, and there were some big ones (18-20” and bigger) that weren’t uncommon. Now that I literally live on the north shore of the lake, I only fish it for carp in the spring. Go figure.