PDA

View Full Version : Bill Howe

Jay Murakoshi
02-04-2022, 03:41 PM
Just read on Dan Blantons' board that Bill Howe passed away on Wednesday. For those of you who didn't know Bill and Kate, they were a featured attraction at most of the fly fishing shows. Bill and Kate were the developers of the ALF flies and the FPF series.
I know Bill was a cowboy for the Harris Ranch and Kate did some bar tending at the restaurant.
Bill will be missed by a lot of us old timers
Jay

dynaflow
02-05-2022, 03:27 AM
Even in Australia Bill Howe is remembered and his legacy respected.R.I.P. Bill......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-05-2022, 06:11 AM
Thanks Jay.......

Most of us old timers knew Bill & Kate Howe as master fly tiers and real fine people.

We are now losing the our generation, some of the luckiest people to ever live, the "Baby Boomers".

hwchubb
02-05-2022, 09:19 AM
Wow, what a start to 2022. Frank Moore, Mike Crosby and now Bill Howe. I got to know him pretty well at all the shows and conclaves over the years, although it’s been 4 years or so since we last talked. Another personality, and innovative tier, that will be sorely missed. Thanks for the update, Jay.

Wayne

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-19-2024, 07:26 AM
Here is a news flash for our little old Fly Fishing Forum:

Kate Howe just joined the Forum yesterday.

RoosterHunter
05-19-2024, 10:32 AM
Welcome Kate, glad to see you join. I'm waiting to see your input on some of the posts.
I have been thinking really, really, really hard about taking a few of the flies that Bill tied for me before he passed.

So how have been doing?
Jay

Kate Howe
05-19-2024, 11:36 AM
Hey Jay... nice to see you...
Doing ok here. Haven't fished in a few years, little too hard to get there from here and can't get around too well.
Still tie a fly or two now and then though...
You should at least fish a couple of them, he'd like that...
Kate

RoosterHunter
05-19-2024, 09:16 PM
you still have the touch.
Where in NV are you located?
I hope you keep in touch with this board. You're one of us "old timers"
Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-20-2024, 08:08 AM
Talking about old timers, that's us now.

Had a little emailing today with Darian Calhoun, one of our most important contributors to the Forum.

Like many of us he is getting older with some health issues but still out there.

Tony Buzolich
05-20-2024, 04:20 PM
Kate, That's a striper killer if there ever was one. Beautiful tie. I tie one that is similar that I call a "Full Dressed Clouser".
The rivers around here are full of striped bass now. If you ever get over this way I'd be happy to take you out for some.

Darian Calhoun, where the heck have you been? You used to chime in all the time.
Tony

Darian
05-20-2024, 07:02 PM
Where have I been?? :confused: In addition to some health issues, I'm still trying to solve some problems with my house after having my flooring replaced by SG Carpets. Not my favorite contractor. Also, I've discovered that reading some of my favorite authors; among which are John LeCarre, Anne/Tony Hillerman, Max Seeck (many others) and recycling books is taking up some of my time. Not doing much fishing but still tying a few flies. :D

Hopefully, you and you family (and Jim May) are doing well. :cool:

Kate Howe
05-21-2024, 06:25 AM
Jay
I'm in Winnemucca...
Been here just shy of 20 years. We had the saddle shop and raised some great sheep and horses...
And yup, turned into an old timer when I wasn't looking...

Kate Howe
05-21-2024, 07:04 AM
Tony,
Thanks for the invite...
I sure wish I could... little too far for me to drive now. But back in the day Cali stripers were my favorite target. As kids we rode our bikes over to the pumps at Foster City and beat 'em to death with old feathered jigs...
This one made a grand supper.
Those were the days...

Tony Buzolich
05-21-2024, 07:42 AM
Darian,

You mentioned my buddy Jim May and I just got a call from him in Cancun. Yesterday (Monday) was his first fishing day there and he landed a nice tarpon and two permit.
Tony