PDA

View Full Version : Fly Colors

Salmonriver
01-27-2022, 11:23 AM
Question, I have been fishing for over 40 years and this year a buddy of mine has gotten me so dead set on fly fishing now. It is something that I have wished I done years ago. Anyways, what makes a fly color "the one" for the day?

For instance, one day I could throw a Red Copper John and hammer the trout. Then it does nothing but if I change to a gold color or brown, that one works. What is that you guys do to say, hey today looks like a red day versus a copper or silver one. I know the old saying, dark days, dark colors but sometimes it not true. Appreciate any input. Be safe on the water! Right now I am at about 21" for my personal best bow in a river.

Carl Blackledge
01-27-2022, 12:31 PM
Only the fish know why

Darian
01-27-2022, 02:32 PM
When Salmon or Steelhead fishing, can't argue against that statement. I do believe that old premise, "bright day, bright fly; Dark day, dark fly" as it has served me well over the years. Obviously, nothing works every time, so, when whatever you're doing isn't working be ready to adapt and change....

Jcolin
01-28-2022, 07:12 AM
It certainly seemed that way on the Eel river last weekend. Very bright outside with sun on water and my buddy and I both hooked into an adult on orange flies with other grabs. Didn't get any interest on black flies. Salmon river, I'd think its more of a steelhead/salmon thing. Trout can be color picky too, but trout fishing is more a matter of actually trying to present something that imitates what they are eating, at least much more so than steelhead fishing, whether it's mayfly, stonefly, caddis, nymph, emerger, adult etc. Other than fishing a Red Copper John or San Juan Worm sometimes, for trout the flies I fish tend to be olive, black, brown or rust colored, not so much bright colors like pink, blue, chartreuse, purple, orange etc. as I will for winter steelhead.

Carl Blackledge
01-29-2022, 01:52 PM
Darian,

I also use the same theory as the dark day dark fly, bright day shinny fly. I have been in a pram line up on the Smith river and we are all using just about the size and color fly, when suddenly somebody casts out a 4 inch black leach and gets a bite and then lands 3-4 in a row...That type of fishing will drive you crazy - there isn't any rime or reason. my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2022, 08:08 PM
Lots of good rules or theories about lure/fly colors.

In low light level use larger, dark colored lures or flies.

During bright light levels use smaller, lighter colored artificials/flies/lures.

They say match the fly size first, then the shade in the gray scale and next color.

Most use flies that are bigger than the naturals.

There are too many variables in fishing to count.

One thing I use to tell new combers is to go fly fishing as much as you can and the odds will be with you.

I read a lot about fishing over my entire lifetime.

I listened to old timers who had fished for many years.

I worked on my fly casting.

" Keep your fly in the water."

Don't give up too easily.

Keep your hooks sharp.

Check your fly, knots and leader occasionally.

Check to be sure your reel is on tight.

Make sure your ferrules are tight and straight.

I went fishing with good anglers and paid attention.

Today I watch more YouTube fly fishing videos than I care to admit to.

PV_Premier
01-30-2022, 11:08 AM
when it comes to steelhead, if you fish any color except the one I am fishing you will probably do well...because it seems they never like what I'm throwing at the given moment.

Lucas Dement
01-30-2022, 02:56 PM
I try to go by dark day dark fly, bright day bright fly to K.I.S.S. If nothing is happening or I dont feel confident, I will go to my confidence pattern, Black Leech with an Orange bead.

fivefingers
01-30-2022, 03:47 PM
when it comes to steelhead, if you fish any color except the one I am fishing you will probably do well...because it seems they never like what I'm throwing at the given moment.

I'm about to throw a snorkel on and scout ahead because I'm pretty sure that I'm swinging through empty runs.

Mr T
01-31-2022, 11:11 AM

THIS.

I thought it was just me..

tpeterson
01-31-2022, 03:37 PM
THIS.

I thought it was just me..

Me too! This is my camp. I think we need a support group:D

tcorfey
01-31-2022, 06:32 PM
The color combinations I have caught the most salmon/steelhead on are black/purple/blue and orange/yellow/white. Shades of color vary and sometimes adding a little pink to either color combo is deadly. I could probably tie all flies in those combos using different sizes, styles and weights and do just fine. But of course I am always experimenting. Those are my go to colors, does any body have other combos they are partial to?

Jcolin
01-31-2022, 08:24 PM
black and blue is a great combo. i got my first winter SH on the swing with black and orange. also all pink or black and pink. then theres purple...purple and black or straight purple. purple and pink combo we would do well with in southeast AK for coho. black and chartreuse (more black) has been good for me too. i see lots of summer run patterns, like hairwings and classic patterns in bright colors but i tend to fish more natural colors for klamath and trinity fish in the fall. would love to go far north and fish summer steelhead other than what our state has to offer some day. if not bc at least the north umpqua deschutes or grande ronde etc.

TaylerW
02-02-2022, 06:50 PM
I have to break it down into two categories. Upriver/summer fish and winter fish.

With summers where I fish, they are a good bit upriver but tend to move quickly. With that I try to replicate the things they most often eat with some exceptions. Orange and pink bead heads seem to elicit a bead bite. Stoneflies, caddis, mays are all prolific in the system. Dark colored rubber legs; no flash during warm months, and black w/copper flash or black w/red and blue.

Winter fish are a different story. Where I enjoy to chase them they are pretty fresh in the river. Shortly before I typically encounter them they are out in the pacific. I like to think of colors and combinations that are akin to sardines, squid and the big hitter, pacific mackerel. I truly believe the color of a pacific mackerel is why black /w blue accents and flash is my #1 go to.

Just my .02

hwchubb
02-02-2022, 09:52 PM
I’ll add my $0.02, even though Tayler’s opinion is a helluva lot more experienced than mine.

My go-tos are an orange bodied muddler for summer / fall, orange and black intruder or orange comet in the winter, with a spawning purple in the mix. I just have confidence in orange / orange and black. I’ve never caught a steelhead on blue, probably because I don’t try it until I’ve thoroughly fished through with the above flies and there probably aren’t any players, at least for me.

And definitely dark fly/ dark day rule, unless it doesn’t work. Then do the opposite.

Fish your confidence fly for steelhead. That’s the one rule that seems to hold.