PDA

View Full Version : Are the use of flys tied on double hooks legal in CA?

tcorfey
01-26-2022, 12:25 AM
I participate in a web site located over in Europe that ties Salmon flies.
Many patterns are tied on double hooks.
I have collected a few of these now but, have not fished them as I am unsure of the regulations.
Does anybody know if these are legal to use for Trout, Steelhead or Salmon in CA?

An example is this fly:

sansar
01-26-2022, 01:10 AM
I'm a follower of this thread. (https://fish-en.com/ice-fishing-bibs-for-anyone-best-ice-fishing-bibs/)

timmosazz
01-26-2022, 07:37 AM
Well I would think that they would not be allowed anywhere that the regulations dictate that single barbless hooks only are allowed.

charlietrout
02-16-2022, 06:53 AM
The California Fish and Game Code (Section 2.5) prohibits the use of a fly that has two hooks attached to one another. However, it excludes a "streamer" fly or an artificial lure used in saltwater fishing that has two or more hooks attached to one another if each hook point is at least 1/4 inch from any other hook point or if each hook point faces away from the others.

Jcolin
02-16-2022, 10:32 AM
The California Fish and Game Code (Section 2.5) prohibits the use of a fly that has two hooks attached to one another. However, it excludes a "streamer" fly or an artificial lure used in saltwater fishing that has two or more hooks attached to one another if each hook point is at least 1/4 inch from any other hook point or if each hook point faces away from the others.

That is interesting. I wouldnt imagine it would be illegal on any water where spin fisherman can use barbless treble hooks, like the russian for example. I am also not convinced that they are more effective in terms of hooking and landing large fish. Some of the guides i worked with in AK would swap out their trebles for singles on lures for gear fishing clients because they were convinced that the hook penetration was deeper and more consistent with singles, despite both being legal for coho.

TahoeJoe
02-16-2022, 01:43 PM
I don't think that a double or triple hook is illegal in general. If the area is "barbless" the rules usually say:

Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.

So, squash both barbs and the fly would be legal?

There are some stipulations on multiple hook fishing and it looks like the restrictions are designed to discourage snagging.

From Freshwater Fishing Regulations:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=190456&inline

Section 2.10
(1) No person shall use any single hook with a gap
greater than 1 inch or any multiple hook with a gap
greater than 3/4 inch.

(3) It is unlawful to use any multiple hook or more
than one single hook on non-buoyant artificial lures
exceeding one ounce.

I don't see anything else in the regulations.

I'm not a game warden or a lawyer so YMMV.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-16-2022, 03:53 PM
Many years ago on the lower Rogue river they used smaller "half-pounder" size flies (#8 ) tied on double hooks.

Some were the Juicy Bug and Red Ant.

Juicy Bug tying video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W76qbyQ5mQ

Red Ant tying video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VpaTIkRVTg

Another place they used double hooks was down in the bays where they used them as a bait rig with Bullheads for Stripers.

tcorfey
02-16-2022, 05:27 PM
I called the DFW regarding this and was put on an answering machine but still no response since 1/28. I am a patient man though.

Jcolin
02-16-2022, 07:19 PM
I called the DFW regarding this and was put on an answering machine but still no response since 1/28. I am a patient man though.

I've been able to reach wardens by phone within the same day by calling the Fairfield office at 707 428 2002 several times in the last month to ask questions about turkey hunting regs. The person who answered the mainline put me through to a wardens office, they answered the first time and called me back within an hour or 2 the second time after leaving a voicemail.

tcorfey
02-16-2022, 09:05 PM
Thanks I will give them a try tomorrow.

Ralph
02-17-2022, 09:35 AM
Try another office. DFW, like any place else, has employees who don't give a shit while others are engaging and helpful. When doing research out of Bishop I saw both from the same office. If I was lucky enough to have my call land in Curtis Miliron's lap he would go overboard trying to help. I truly miss him. The other biologist never answered his phone and would never return a call. It wasn't just me, it was a chief complaint from many people (and agencies) I knew. He was a true blight to the department's public image. The dick was transferred to Region 2, hopefully he was relegated to counting Whitefish eggs.

tcorfey
02-17-2022, 07:13 PM
This is the response I received from DFW there's no restrictions as far as a fish and wildlife regulations for you regarding the hooks whether they're single or double or trebles and only restrictions we have is if it's a fishing place where you have to use barbless hooks that's the only only thing, you know that you have to remove the barbs or ensure they are pushed down so they cannot be felt but other than that doubles or triples are OK.

Lew Riffle
02-18-2022, 09:39 AM
Thanks I will give them a try tomorrow.

I am sure Rodger Bloom of CDFW can fill you in on this. He has a background in this facet of fishing management and also was one of the leads with the recent revision of the inland trout regulations.

tcorfey
02-19-2022, 07:56 PM
Thank you for that information.