PDA

View Full Version : Putah Creek landlocked steelhead above Berryessa

Sonoman
01-14-2022, 02:01 PM
Anybody fished Putah Cr for landlocked steelhead ABOVE Berryessa and below Hwy 29 east of Middletown? I was invited to fish by a landowner who does not flyfish. I assume the fish are small and the creek is like Putah Cr below Berryessa or where it crosses Hwy 29, so a 9ft 5wt is adequate.

What rigs and bugs? Swing comets or soft hackles...or drift nymphs under bobbers? What bugs?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-14-2022, 03:49 PM
I always heard there were smallmouth bass in Upper Putah Creek above Lake Berryessa.

Trout will swim up the tributaries of reservoirs and lakes to spawn.

There was probably land locked Steelhead in Lake Berryessa after they built the dam.

Small black egg sucking leech?

DPLee
01-15-2022, 12:18 PM
A long long time ago I surveyed Putah Creek from Middletown downstream to Lake Berryessa. And yes, the creek did and most likely still has a good population of smallmouth bass. Access is difficult due to private property but some anglers access the lower reaches of the creek from a boat at the mouth where it flows into the lake. Similar to many low elevation reservoirs constructed on California anadromous rivers and creeks, a few landlocked steelhead are often reported by anglers for a few years following. However, it is not uncommon for rainbow trout to migrate from a lake into a tributary stream to spawn in the late winter and early spring. This has been documented for many places including Lake Berryessa. And after more than 60 years ago and hundreds of thousands of domestic rainbow trout of various strains stocked in the lake, it is doubtful any “landlock steelhead” still exist. By the way, trout migrating from a lake to a tributary stream to spawn have life history called potamodromous.

Dennis
www.dennisplee.com

Sonoman
01-15-2022, 01:18 PM
Thanks for your insights. I fished Putah above Berryessa years ago for smallmouths. A landowner insists there are "landlocked steelhead" in the river Feb-Mar and invited me to fish with him, but I have my doubts they are steelhead and likely spawning rainbows. If they are spawning rainbows, my inclination is to pass on the invitation and leave them alone.

cmcdhuibh
01-15-2022, 06:31 PM
All steelhead are rainbow trout, but not all rainbow trout are steelhead. The upper putah has no access to the pacific.
You should take him up.

Woodman
01-15-2022, 09:43 PM
The upper putah has no access to the pacific.

I think that's why he said landlocked above Berryessa.

Rossflyguy
01-16-2022, 08:52 AM
Thanks for your insights. I fished Putah above Berryessa years ago for smallmouths. A landowner insists there are "landlocked steelhead" in the river Feb-Mar and invited me to fish with him, but I have my doubts they are steelhead and likely spawning rainbows. If they are spawning rainbows, my inclination is to pass on the invitation and leave them alone.

Now that I have a boat and I troll berryessa for salmon the trout I catch at that lake are AMAZINGLY strong and big. If I cuaght one from a river I’d swear they were steelhead based solely on their looks. They’re most likely the eagle lake strain that gets stocked in there. They focus on Shad in that lake. You should at least go and take a look. I’m sure there are some big fish.

mike borba
01-16-2022, 10:17 AM
Unless the regs have changed all Berryessa tributaries are only open during regular trout season. I live in Hidden Valley Lake close to the hwy 29 bridge and fish it often for smallmouth. I usually don't start fishing it until late May. There are trout/steelhead in there. Not sure how last year's drought will effect this year's fishing. The few trout I've caught were taken on small closers or small leech patterns.

StevenB
01-17-2022, 10:49 AM
First for Mike B.

Yep. Regs are different.

As I understand it the controlling reg for Putah above Berryessa
would be this section:

(2) All inland streams, rivers, and canals, except
those listed in Section 7.50(b), are open to fishing
from the last Sat. in Apr. through Nov. 15, with a five
trout daily bag limit, and ten trout possession limit,
with no gear restrictions. From Nov. 16 through the
Fri. preceding the last Sat. in Apr., a zero trout bag
limit applies, and only artificial lures with barbless
hooks may be used. In waters where the
bag limit for trout is zero, trout must be released
unharmed, and should not be removed from the
water.
(3) Exceptions:
(A) All waters in Section 7.50(b), Alphabetical List
of Trout Waters with Special Fishing Regulations,
are those having regulations different from the
General Statewide Regulations for trout.
(B) Brook Trout bag and possession limits may be
taken in addition to the statewide trout daily bag
and possession limits. See Section 5.84.

Note that this is the general state-wide regulation.

What this means is that every stream in the state that is not listed by name in the special reg tables
and is not an anadromous waterway is most likely now open year-round.

I do not insist I am right on this piece of water cause I just did a quick look at the Regs,
but this is what I think is right. (assuming the water in question is in the Valley district).

More to the point for Sonoman

Man, Private access, cool! go for it.

Just watch for Redd's and avoid. Also watch for pairs of fish sitting in unusually shallow spots on gravel
(spawning pair).

You will end up catching some spawning fish (it is unavoidable) but you can minimize it by being careful of where you are fishing.

As far as actual fishing usual stuff should mostly work, but I have fished the Lake run rainbows here on the Sac for years and I find that they like swung streamers (black bunny leaches ) more that the stream resident fish,
also by fishing down and across with a sink-tip I catch quite a few Bass.

You can fish the streamers in a regular floating line if necessary which also allows you to try other techniques.
IE: the usual stuff (nymphing and dry flys)

Think BWOs and Midges and LBS (Little Black Stuff*)

Other than that you will have to go and see. It all depends on what the water looks like.

*Family friendly version

cmcdhuibh
01-17-2022, 12:01 PM
When Berryessa is at 440’ that puts the “lake” to Pope valley so beyond Pope valley it would be “putah creek”. I think. Really doesn’t matter. I did like going back there when the lake was full.

winxp_man
01-17-2022, 12:05 PM
Now that I have a boat and I troll berryessa for salmon the trout I catch at that lake are AMAZINGLY strong and big. If I cuaght one from a river I’d swear they were steelhead based solely on their looks. They’re most likely the eagle lake strain that gets stocked in there. They focus on Shad in that lake. You should at least go and take a look. I’m sure there are some big fish.

In Alaska there are big lakes that have rainbows. And big bows! They look dead on like they would pass as steelhead of one was to post a pic and stat steelhead. But they are just big now and don’t go to the ocean. So you’re right about trout that look like steelhead for sure.

winxp_man
01-17-2022, 12:10 PM

As far as actual fishing usual stuff should mostly work, but I have fished the Lake run rainbows here on the Sac for years and I find that they like swung streamers (black bunny leaches ) more that the stream resident fish,
also by fishing down and across with a sink-tip I catch quite a few Bass..

*Family friendly version

This is because lakes offer more bait fish. I know what you mean about liking swung leeches for sure.

Sonoman
01-25-2022, 07:38 AM
I made it out to the ranch last weekend with the landowner. More of a scouting trip and had only a couple hours to fish before dark. The sun was already behind the hills so the water was in deep shade. I didn't see any spawning fish over gravel and fished a deep run with rocky structure below fast riffles/small waterfalls. Looked like good holding water. Bank was brushy so all single-handed spey and roll casting. Landed three very spirited trout in the 16in range on my 5-wt; next trip I will bring my bigger net. The trout fought more like strong river trout than resident lake trout, with some good runs that made the Hardy sing.

Saw a few bugs come off the water...probably midges around size 22. I didn't see any surface action but could have missed some sips. Caught all the fish on swung or stripped streamers, black or olive.

One fish had healed scars on its flank and a small open wound on its back. Maybe from jumping up small waterfalls? Ospreys?

I will attempt to attach a photo

mike borba
01-25-2022, 05:00 PM
Putah above the lake is closed to fishing until the last Saturday in April.

Sonoman
01-25-2022, 05:16 PM
Are you certain? I tried to sort it out in the oh-so-clear regs but could not find a definitive answer. I spoke to the Coast Guard guy who oversees the now defunct Loran station out there and he fishes it all winter. I hate to think I was poaching out of season

Steve Bertrand said in his earlier post on this thread:

As I understand it the controlling reg for Putah above Berryessa
would be this section:

(2) All inland streams, rivers, and canals, except
those listed in Section 7.50(b), are open to fishing
from the last Sat. in Apr. through Nov. 15, with a five
trout daily bag limit, and ten trout possession limit,
with no gear restrictions. From Nov. 16 through the
Fri. preceding the last Sat. in Apr., a zero trout bag
limit applies, and only artificial lures with barbless
hooks may be used. In waters where the
bag limit for trout is zero, trout must be released
unharmed, and should not be removed from the
water.
(3) Exceptions:
(A) All waters in Section 7.50(b), Alphabetical List
of Trout Waters with Special Fishing Regulations,
are those having regulations different from the
General Statewide Regulations for trout.
(B) Brook Trout bag and possession limits may be
taken in addition to the statewide trout daily bag
and possession limits. See Section 5.84.

Note that this is the general state-wide regulation.

What this means is that every stream in the state that is not listed by name in the special reg tables
and is not an anadromous waterway is most likely now open year-round.

I do not insist I am right on this piece of water cause I just did a quick look at the Regs,
but this is what I think is right. (assuming the water in question is in the Valley district).

Sheepdog8404
01-25-2022, 06:08 PM
Wouldn’t “landlocked steelhead” just be a rainbow?

Sonoman
01-25-2022, 07:12 PM
That was covered earlier in the thread. I don't know. The landowner called them "landlocked steelhead", so I did too. It is the same as the rainbows in Lake Sonoma, which are still called "landlocked steelhead". The argument goes they were steelhead trapped when the dam went up and the gene pool lives on. Or, as my son pointed out, Great Lakes steelhead...are they steelhead or trount? I am not going to argue strongly either way, particularly above Berryessa which has been planted with millions of stockers over the decades. They are rainbow trout and they fight hard.

I am far more interested in understanding the fishing regs above Berryessa. I can make arguments either way and was encouraged by Steve Bertrand's post. Anybody from the DFG who knows? Does the DFG even know for sure? It's like trying to find somebody in the IRS who understands corner-case tax issues. The "happy path" is easy but corner cases stump even those tasked with enforcing the laws and regulations.

Sheepdog8404
01-25-2022, 07:18 PM
Looks to me like it would fall under CCR T14 7.50(b)(10).

Edit: previous post referenced incorrect section.

StevenB
01-25-2022, 08:58 PM
I
One fish had healed scars on its flank and a small open wound on its back. Maybe from jumping up small waterfalls? Ospreys?

If the fish had a roundish wound in its back near the dorsal fin, I have assumed that is a Heron wound
because they try to stab the fish with their beak, but that does not account for the scars on the sides.

Possibly Otter? They leave claw scars and often a bite mark.

Osprey I think mostly leave talon marks but lots of things are possible. The talon could penetrate on the grab.

Fun fact about Osprey:

They drop fish on occasion because when they first start gaining altitude after a fish grab they turn the fish in their talons so it is pointing head first for better aerodynamics.
This jugging act can end poorly for the Osprey but good for the fish .

Thanks for the report. Nice to hear you got out there.

Reg wise as I said I would verify you are in the Valley district, then what I quoted should be the new Regs as of
Mar 1 2021

I don't know about that other guy you talked (USCG) to cause I think this is the first winter that water has been open
(like Hat Creek, which is now open year round).

when you wrote "he fishes it all winter" makes it sound like he has been doing it a while.

If you meant 'he has fished it all winter' then OK

mike borba
01-25-2022, 10:02 PM
Here are the pertinent regs:
Section 7.50 B
All fisheries closed to all fishing except as listed
Berryessa Lake tributaries: Lake and Napa counties
Open from last Saturday in April through September 30
2 trout, with 4 trout in possession
As noted this applies to all fish not just trout

Rossflyguy
01-25-2022, 10:37 PM
I made it out to the ranch last weekend with the landowner. More of a scouting trip and had only a couple hours to fish before dark. The sun was already behind the hills so the water was in deep shade. I didn't see any spawning fish over gravel and fished a deep run with rocky structure below fast riffles/small waterfalls. Looked like good holding water. Bank was brushy so all single-handed spey and roll casting. Landed three very spirited trout in the 16in range on my 5-wt; next trip I will bring my bigger net. The trout fought more like strong river trout than resident lake trout, with some good runs that made the Hardy sing.

Saw a few bugs come off the water...probably midges around size 22. I didn't see any surface action but could have missed some sips. Caught all the fish on swung or stripped streamers, black or olive.

I will attempt to attach a photo

Those are lake fish. I’ve caught them up to 25” trolling Shad patterns. They have huge tail fins and slender bodies. Really athletic fish in berryessa. Hooked them 60 ft down and they bolt right to the surface cartwheeling. Love that lake. Awesome you’re getting them up that creek with private access. If you have private access and you’re ethical I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. Just don’t brag about it too much. Some people here are sensitive.

StevenB
01-25-2022, 10:50 PM
Yep, Mike, I see you were right and I was wrong.
Love the new simple Regs :-(
I just searched on Putah Creek and only saw the stretch below the Dam in the special Regs.
so I thought above the Dam would be the general Regs.
I did not look for "Berryessa Lake tributaries"
I assume the stretch in question is in Lake or Napa
county.
(check map)
looks like Napa County to me

sorry folks I messed that one up

mike borba
01-26-2022, 12:07 AM
I happen to live close to the upper section of Putah so I'm familiar with the regs. I did fish another stream last year that I assumed was open. Gave a fishing report to the club I'm in. That was embarrassing!

Sonoman
01-26-2022, 08:28 AM
Thanks Mike for the clarification on the regs. I feel your embarrassment for fishing a closed stream! It was fun while it lasted but lesson learned and I appreciate the forum community

Plenty of other places to fish that are open

Tight lines

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-26-2022, 08:37 AM
In the 1960s and 1970s ( 50 years ago) many from the Valley towns and the Bay Area cities float tubed Lake Solano.

In the summer there were huge Callibaetis mayfly hatches back then.

In a float tube veteran fly fisher Al Hulbert caught a 10# fish on a big black leech that looked like a big wild Steelhead.

He had it mounted and it was hung in his real estate office for years.

It had very large fins and a tail like a broom.

Back then we figured it was a probably a land locked Steelhead.

In high water years salmon and steelhead will swim all the way up lower Putah Creek to the base of the Lake Solano dam.

cmcdhuibh
01-26-2022, 09:09 AM
The trout in that lake have some kind of round sores, maybe micro organisms? Gold/mercury mining Pollution? Fish wars. I had a trailer at rancho Monticello for years. We asked about it and wondered if we shouldn’t be eating them. Never really got a answer.

Mr T
01-26-2022, 09:38 AM
The trout in that lake have some kind of round sores, maybe micro organisms? Pollution? Fish wars. I had a trailer at rancho Monticello for years. We asked about it and wondered if we shouldn’t be eating them. Never really got a answer.

Copepods is what I was told those are. I know the kokanee get them as well as the kings. I was lucky to get one over 6 lbs a few years back rolling shad deep on downriggers, it was a serious fish!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-26-2022, 01:42 PM
A senior biologist friend in Davis has studied the water in Lake Berryessa and it has some kind of bad mineral pollution that I think comes out of a mine?

Many years ago the town of Davis opted to not get it's drinking water from Lake Berryessa so maybe it is factual.

Not sure of we should be eating any fish out of there.

Also is the agriculture polluted south of Davis that gets it's water from Lake Solano out of lower Putah Creek.

timmosazz
01-29-2022, 04:59 PM
In the 1960s and 1970s ( 50 years ago) many from the Valley towns and the Bay Area cities float tubed Lake Solano.

In the summer there were huge Callibaetis mayfly hatches back then.

In a float tube veteran fly fisher Al Hulbert caught a 10# fish on a big black leech that looked like a big wild Steelhead.

He had it mounted and it was hung in his real estate office for years.

It had very large fins and a tail like a broom.

Back then we figured it was a probably a land locked Steelhead.

In high water years salmon and steelhead will swim all the way up lower Putah Creek to the base of the Lake Solano dam.

About five years ago i saw a post of a guy that was fishing Lake Solano and he caught a striper about 12" That was weird. Nothing since. I fish Putah a lot and lake Solano.

Rossflyguy
02-03-2022, 10:54 AM
About five years ago i saw a post of a guy that was fishing Lake Solano and he caught a striper about 12" That was weird. Nothing since. I fish Putah a lot and lake Solano.

Either someone threw it in there or they really didn’t catch it out of solano.