PDA

View Full Version : The past

Jay Murakoshi
01-08-2022, 10:39 PM
To think, many years back I use to be in the business of manufacturing and selling balsa wood poppers. I had a special jig made up by a friend of mine who was a machinist that made me a special jig that would turn out a balsa wood popper body in 10 seconds. Then I had a small table saw that would cut the hook slot and then a router that would cup the face. I would turn out around 500 to 600 each weekend and also make the finished popper.This venture lasted about a year before I retired and went back to full time commercial fly tying.
Thanks to Bill Black and Spirit River for carrying my products. I just happen to get this package of popper bodies from a friend who purchased a few.
The good ole days, right Bill

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-09-2022, 06:02 AM
Many of us have a long history in this wonderful sport.

I remember the first time you showed up at our shop to sell us some nice salt water streamers.....

We bought a lot of specialty flies for local tiers like Dave Hudson, Jay Murakoshi, Bob Sheidt, Gary McConnel, and Carl Blackledge.

These were local pattern that the big companies did not have in their catalogs.

We bought beautiful bass poppers from Neal Pultz as well.

Carl Blackledge
01-10-2022, 05:21 PM
Bill,
I have a picture around here somewhere with a pile of flies for your shop and the pile is not quite 6000 shad flies :) your annual shad order.

Carl Blackledge

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-10-2022, 05:57 PM
I remember that picture.............

Tony Buzolich
01-15-2022, 09:15 AM
Jay,
Nice that Spirit River even put your name on their packaging. Now everything seems to have gone to plastics. Tony

Jay Murakoshi
01-18-2022, 07:37 PM
Pretty much. Plastic or foam