PDA

View Full Version : Trinity Report

yubaman
12-31-2021, 01:23 PM
An old high school buddy and I headed up to the Trinity on Tuesday and Wednesday. We got pretty lucky as far as weather by not bailing on the trip. The flows were good and the river was in good shape. Needless to say, we caught it on the drop with just about 0 other fishermen out. It was a tad cold, but not as bad as was forecast, mornings were around 28 degrees, afternoon about 38. We caught snow each night and had snow flurries during the day.

We seemed to be between a push of fish, some that had been in there pushed upstream with the rain, and hopefully another run was on the way. We got into fish each day, not great numbers or huge fish, but reasonable numbers with a couple of decent fish each day. Mostly wild fish as well. Some were pretty bright fish, some had been in the system longer. We did a couple of lower floats down towards Junction City. First day we worked the Upper section pretty hard, second day the lower section, with about the same results.

The weather gave me a chance to break out my Olympic Peninsula gear right here at home. Sadly, we heard that the Cafe' on Main, a really good restaurant in town ( the old La Grange Cafe') is shutting down for good today. We were able to get a meal in there on Tuesday evening, and it was good.

It was nice to get out! Happy New Year's!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-31-2021, 06:19 PM
Back in the 1970s almost no one ever floated the Trinity river.

Drive, walk and wade fishing was easier with much more open access.

Indicators had not been invented yet.

The Trinity river was always noted for getting extremely cold in the winter.

Integrated sinktip lines were new on the scene.

Can you imagine that our Sacramento old timers like Walt Bennett, Joe Patterson, George Martin and Joe Shirshac actually fly fished the Trinity river before the dams?

The Greatest Generation had the best fishing and hunting in America in the 1930 to the 1960s.

tcorfey
12-31-2021, 06:27 PM
Yuba man thanks for the report and the great pictures! Good job getting in to them!

yubaman
12-31-2021, 07:46 PM
We are actually going to tie in a couple of days of drift fishing with a couple of days of wade fishing over on the coast in a couple of weeks. Give the arms a workout with some single hand 8 weight casting. Thankfully I know from experience that getting a nice fresh Steelhead on out there will involve some hiking to catch up with him.

PV_Premier
01-07-2022, 12:14 PM
Trinity is fishing pretty darn well this year, I haven't fished for nor caught a steelhead since January of 2021...sadly many of my favorite swing runs are still in the NF closure area down below Big Bar.

Have a hall pass next weekend finally, and my big dilemma is the decision between Eel/VD/Redwood Creek vs. Trinity/Klamath/Scott. If the forecast for the upcoming week holds true the coastal rivers could be in excellent shape...but we will have to see. Might do Eel/VD/Trinity as a compromise, but it's a tough call.

BumpBailey
01-07-2022, 12:33 PM
I like the way you're thinking PV. Thinking I might be heading up the 'ol 101 next weekend myself. If weather plays out like currently predicted, those coastals should all be in good shape!

PV_Premier
01-07-2022, 03:41 PM
I like the way you're thinking PV. Thinking I might be heading up the 'ol 101 next weekend myself. If weather plays out like currently predicted, those coastals should all be in good shape!

If you want to get together and swing some runs give a shout, my plan may be easily influenced by someone else's prodding...

As of now I am only able to head up Friday afternoon and need to be back by Monday dinnertime-ish.

Brian Clemens
01-08-2022, 10:33 PM
Pv you don't wanna swing the T it sucks

BumpBailey
01-10-2022, 11:58 AM
If you want to get together and swing some runs give a shout, my plan may be easily influenced by someone else's prodding...

As of now I am only able to head up Friday afternoon and need to be back by Monday dinnertime-ish.

Hey PV that sounds cool! I am watching the flows and probably won't commit until later in the week. And with this next bit of news you may want to find other gravels bars to fish than I. My wife advised me that I get to have the dog this weekend. A 2 year old yellow lab who will want to be in the water as much as I will want my fly to be. So, if I do make it up this weekend I will have a rambunctious dog with me(That is putting it nicely).... This may end up being more of a me getting the dog acclimated to fishing than it is for me to fish.... That and finding a place to stay with said dog has so far not gone well.

Upper SF should be in primo condition by the weekend though. Don't want to miss out on that.

Jay

BumpBailey
01-10-2022, 12:02 PM
Pv you don't wanna swing the T it sucks

Swinging on the T in the winter is a tough game!

Is the road closure above Big Bar still in effect?

PV_Premier
01-10-2022, 05:12 PM
Yep BC that buck we swung up three years ago today really sucked :rolleyes::cool:

Brian Clemens
01-10-2022, 10:29 PM
Yep BC that buck we swung up three years ago today really sucked :rolleyes::cool:

Yup it sure didn't. Lol.
Swung 2 runs today and both spots produced a chrome dome a piece today. They both hit the piss outta my fly mid swing. Love swinging for winter steelhead. So many styles techniques lines tips n fly options. Freakin love it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-11-2022, 06:25 AM
The lower Trinity river is almost a year round fishery for trout, steelhead and salmon.

Unless you have lots of time to invest I would go with a fly fishing guide to shorten the learning curve.

Adventurous souls start down in the lower section below Willow Creek in Sept/Oct, some skating muddlers on top for SH.

Seems like the SH move up the river in November after some rain.

I think from December on people fish the upper sections.

The upper river was famous for huge Brown trout who gorged themselves on small salmon fry.

When Joe Shirshac took us there in the 60s and 70s access was much better than today so "drive, walk and wade" was very good.

On that smaller river we roll cast and swung with #7 weight fly rods with a floating line, mono leader and #4/6 dark classic wet SH fly.

This was way before indicators came into the picture.

Actually, back in those day we never saw a drift boat, raft or PFD on the river. Never......

Steelhead veterans Mike Murphy and his cousin Denny were the first I heard to float the river in a small raft.

Mike told me that after floating the river they realized they were missing lots of good water by only driving the river for access.

Walt Bennet, Joe Patterson and others from the California Fly Fishers Unlimited actually fished the Trinity river before the dams!

Once I asked local SH legend Walt Bennett were he thought the hottest Steelhead were in his life time?

He said it was the Trinity river, before the dams. He said those wild Steelhead were so hot they would actually break his leader.

I am actually in the first part of the movie, "Rivers of a Lost Coast" in old Super 8 movie footage by Joe Shirshac.

I am on the lower America river across from the fish hatchery and on the Trinity river around Junction City.

Back then we wore chest high #100 Seal-Dri seamless, pure latex, stocking foot waders.

In the old footage I have on a camouflage hooded sweat shirt.

Brian Clemens
01-11-2022, 08:32 AM
Most years bill there's actually fish from the dam to the mouth in Sept. This year I was able to guide from Sept to mid Oct straight with the river almost to myself and only swinging with great success. This year's run was epic as the tribe was unable to put up the illegal Trish tang weir. So we saw more fish and bigger fish as the nets and weir didn't select those fish out. It was and still is awesome.
I'm always up here guiding early Sept some years even July and August depending on rain fall. I'll start targeting Lower river Del Loma and Willow Creek starting in Oct and Nov, sometimes Dec if the flows are on the Lower side. Once the big rains come it's pretty much pigeon up and a random day down in Del Loma.

If you know what you are doing, you can get fish swinging this river year round.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-11-2022, 03:57 PM
Thanks Brian......

I have to admit that my experience on the river was many years ago.

I am excited to hear your updated info and it makes me very happy.

Some years ago I did get intel that Herb and his guides where way down there in October swinging dry muddlers.

We appreciate your reporting on that lovely little river.

What is the info on the summer/fall salmon runs?

PV_Premier
01-11-2022, 06:16 PM
Hey PV that sounds cool! I am watching the flows and probably won't commit until later in the week. And with this next bit of news you may want to find other gravels bars to fish than I. My wife advised me that I get to have the dog this weekend. A 2 year old yellow lab who will want to be in the water as much as I will want my fly to be. So, if I do make it up this weekend I will have a rambunctious dog with me(That is putting it nicely).... This may end up being more of a me getting the dog acclimated to fishing than it is for me to fish.... That and finding a place to stay with said dog has so far not gone well.

Upper SF should be in primo condition by the weekend though. Don't want to miss out on that.

Jay

I hear you, also watching the flows here. I think the SF will be in the "green", I was hoping to also hit the VD, but it looks like it may be borderline. I'm not sure how muddy it's been this year but last year was a dam mess with that big slide.

Right now my tentative plan is to go to Garberville on Friday afternoon, fish the SF on Saturday from the top down, stay in Fortuna Saturday night and hit the VD on Sunday, then go over to Lewiston on Sunday night and hit a few spots on the T on Monday before driving home... If the VD is in crappy shape I would boogie over to the T sooner.

But I am also thinking about running the circuit in reverse, I just hate having that long drive home on Monday afternoon/evening.

Jeff F
01-12-2022, 09:50 AM
I hear you, also watching the flows here. I think the SF will be in the "green", I was hoping to also hit the VD, but it looks like it may be borderline. I'm not sure how muddy it's been this year but last year was a dam mess with that big slide.

Right now my tentative plan is to go to Garberville on Friday afternoon, fish the SF on Saturday from the top down, stay in Fortuna Saturday night and hit the VD on Sunday, then go over to Lewiston on Sunday night and hit a few spots on the T on Monday before driving home... If the VD is in crappy shape I would boogie over to the T sooner.

But I am also thinking about running the circuit in reverse, I just hate having that long drive home on Monday afternoon/evening.

While the weather looks outstanding for the near future, the river drop is really slow now due to snowmelt, I believe. With the exception of the SF and the Mattole, the rivers are pretty high and forecasted for a painfully slow drop into next week. Sometimes however, the rivers will be green when this happens, but still high and swift. Other times the snowmelt in the small tribs can create muddy conditions.

I think the SF will be the only guarantee. And of course everyone else knows that too. It will be a complete zoo this weekend.

The weekly Kenny Priest report comes out on Thursdays. His reports are usually very reliable when it comes to river conditions up there.

Please post a report if you do go. That would be much appreciated.

~Jeff

BumpBailey
01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
It is such a gamble for me coming up from the south bay. But, I am leaning towards going for it. According to the fantasy flows by Saturday the flows at the Miranda gauge will still be high compared to ideal flows but, less than flows I've fished in the past, for whatever that is worth. And yes, you gotta figure it will be crowded this weekend and most will be up top. But, being that it is just me and the dog this weekend, what have I got to lose? If you see a dude in a 4 Door Blue F150 with a yellow lab, say hi and let's have a beer and exchange fish stories!

PV_Premier
01-12-2022, 11:54 AM
I think the SF will be the only guarantee. And of course everyone else knows that too. It will be a complete zoo this weekend.

The weekly Kenny Priest report comes out on Thursdays. His reports are usually very reliable when it comes to river conditions up there.

~Jeff

Yeah, I anticipate the SF will be a zoo. I am also kicking around Redwood Creek as an option if the VD isn't fishable. Even popping over to a couple southern Oregon small streams in my mind as a contingency.

The problem is that it's generally only about once a winter that the flows, my personal and work schedule, and the weather all align to enable a coastal trip. This is that weekend, so I'm going, even if it means things are not 100% perfect. I will post some updates when I get up there.

Jcolin
01-12-2022, 12:15 PM
This weekend is looking like a good window. The snow melt can be a wild card as far as clarity. Id be up there but am staying home and floating the russian both days, speaking of zoos. Been fishing an hour before work this week and its definitely fishable, way more fishable than ive seen it at 1400 cfs due to such a slow drop. Good luck to everyone, id like to see some pictures of coastal winter SH to keep me motivated

BumpBailey
01-13-2022, 03:37 PM
While the weather looks outstanding for the near future, the river drop is really slow now due to snowmelt, I believe. With the exception of the SF and the Mattole, the rivers are pretty high and forecasted for a painfully slow drop into next week. Sometimes however, the rivers will be green when this happens, but still high and swift. Other times the snowmelt in the small tribs can create muddy conditions.

~Jeff

Man, you weren't kidding. This drop is sloooooooow.

PV_Premier
01-13-2022, 08:48 PM
I’m optimistic about the VD and Redwood. I’ll be on the SF Saturday but keeping the VD as a contingency if the SF is too crowded.

Brian Clemens
01-13-2022, 09:36 PM
Worse case PV, we hit the trinity cuz it totally sucks. And don't bother even trying a scandi line tapered leader and a muddler and trying to raise a fish. No way that would happen in Jan with water temps below 40deg. LOL.......

"If you swing it, they will smash it"
BWC

PV_Premier
01-13-2022, 10:22 PM
Looking forward to seeing you my friend. I’m feeling good vibes for a coastal encounter or two for us this wknd.

Brian Clemens
01-13-2022, 10:42 PM
Me too man, me too. Time to take the swing game to a whole other level. First time on the coast for me, can't wait.
I'm hoping to hit the NU this year. 2019 was my last year, in 2020 my boy was born. Talk about a river that you will earn your PHD in steelhead swinging. The amount of knowledge one will learn from it and then use it down here......swing game amplified

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-14-2022, 08:09 AM
Mid-February is the peak "average" timing for the California North Coast Steelhead runs.

By then the rains have cleaned out the rivers and the flows are more constantly up.

One of my quests for my lifetime and 50+ year career in the fishing tackle business is to ask questions to thousands of people who

either seriously fish a particular fisheries or local guides who know them well.

So my answers hear are not necessarily my own opinions, but the opinions of thousands of top angler and top guides.

I think the "Prime Time" for any fishery is the most important info in all of fishing.

I will call tackle shops and fly shops in an area of interest and ask them questions about "Prime Time" or "Prime Times" for

their fisheries. This might sound silly but I might ask them "If you had a friend or relative who wants to come fish in your area for a

month when would you tell them to come?"

I have people email me weekly wanting help planning a trip somewhere and I start doing

my research for them.

I also get email or texts or phone call from people wanting advice on purchasing a boat that is right for them.

Intel or Info is key to fishing success.

I also highly recommend going out during "prime time" with a recommend fly fishing guide unless you are one of those gifted anglers

who catch fish on every time you go out. ( small joke).

Again, contact me for help with anything to do with fishing, boats, RVs........?

BumpBailey
01-14-2022, 08:40 AM
Mid-February is the peak "average" timing for the California North Coast Steelhead runs.

By then the rains have cleaned out the rivers and the flows are more constantly up.

One of my quests for my lifetime and 50+ year career in the fishing tackle business is to ask questions to thousands of people who

either seriously fish a particular fisheries or local guides who know them well.

So my answers hear are not necessarily my own opinions, but the opinions of thousands of top angler and top guides.

I think the "Prime Time" for any fishery is the most important info in all of fishing.

I will call tackle shops and fly shops in an area of interest and ask them questions about "Prime Time" or "Prime Times" for

their fisheries. This might sound silly but I might ask them "If you had a friend or relative who wants to come fish in your area for a

month when would you tell them to come?"

I have people email me weekly wanting help planning a trip somewhere and I start doing

my research for them.

I also get email or texts or phone call from people wanting advice on purchasing a boat that is right for them.

Intel or Info is key to fishing success.

I also highly recommend going out during "prime time" with a recommend fly fishing guide unless you are one of those gifted anglers

who catch fish on every time you go out. ( small joke).

Again, contact me for help with anything to do with fishing, boats, RVs........?

You're the man Bill. At least half of what I have learned about fishing for these chrome ghosts has come from these pages. My first spey casting lesson was with Andy at The Watt Ave Bridge and I was off! Without the help of this community I probably would've given up on these fish a long time ago! There is a wealth of information here and I plan on putting that all to good use. I can't wait to feel the river's push tomorrow!

Thank you!

yubaman
01-14-2022, 05:24 PM
Have fun up there guys! I was supposed to be up there on Monday - Wednesday, but got hit with COVID on this past Tuesday . . . Bummer! Feeling AOK though.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-14-2022, 06:35 PM
You have to be a true dedicated angler to fly fish for Winter Steelhead.

50 years ago almost nobody ever guided fly fishing for Winter Steelhead because it was too unpredictable, even years ago.

Back then drift boat guides either pulled plugs or bounced roe for Winter Steelhead.

Today with Spey on the scene and the onset of indicators finally I see that some are guiding for winter runs.

I have old memories and I can still chat with others my age about some success we had over on the coast with Steelhead.

I was mostly a fall Steelheader anyway. Sept/Oct/Nov was my favorite time. Mostly on the longer rivers then.

A wild Steelhead is a magical thing................especially on a fly.

PV_Premier
01-14-2022, 09:26 PM
I’m in Garberville now. Didn’t fish today but the SF looks great. We will see if I can get lucky tomorrow.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-15-2022, 06:01 AM
I am saying a little prayer to the Steelhead Gods for you.

Many years ago when we were on the Gualala or Garcia I was happy to see anyone fight one of those fresh beasts.

Talk about fresh wild fish.......it was magic to even watch others do battle.........even bait fishermen.

If it was not for my "Gezzer Patrol", old friends from the Greatest Generation, I would not have gone over there.

Great fly fishers like Joe Shirshac, Walt Bennett, Joe Patterson and Al Perryman took us with them to the coast.

Then us Baby Boomers would take the next generation with us like Galen Geller, Paul Keel and Phil Romig.

PV_Premier
01-15-2022, 04:05 PM
The South Fork is emerald green and perfect. I got into 3 of my favorite swing runs this morning before the fog lifted. No dice. It’s very crowded, and I gave up on it upon finding my other lower river runs occupied already.

The Van Duzen is high and turning green. I’d classify it as chalky green with 28” visibility. I swung 3 runs below Bridgeville, nothing doing. It needs another 1-2’ of visibility.

The main Eel is a hybrid of brown and green in the Scotia stretch. It needs 5 more days, maybe more.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-15-2022, 04:44 PM
This info is priceless.......

Brian Clemens
01-15-2022, 06:39 PM
See you on the morning man. I'll bring the scotch

PV_Premier
01-16-2022, 08:11 PM
Brian and I met up at Redwood Creek today. The color of the river was good, chalky green and 4’ of vis. The flow was still a bit high for easy wading and moving around. If the creek was about a foot or so lower it would’ve been perfect. We tried a few different things but didn’t get too much action.

I’m in Fortuna tonight and will try again on the VD tomorrow before the long drive back home.

BumpBailey
01-17-2022, 09:13 AM
I did a quick trip up to the Eel myself on Saturday. Hopped around on Saturday and fished pretty hard first thing yesterday as I knew we had a little thing with the Niners and The Cowgirls later in the day. On Saturday I started just up river from Piercy. 3' visibility and a juicy looking run but nothing. Hit the Benbow area and it was in good shape as well. Then finished the day down in the Phillipsville and Miranda areas where visibility was closer to 2' and it was a little pushy. Hit the Landsdale Bar first thing yesterday morning. Had that whole bar to myself until about 10:30 when I packed it in. Flow was still a little heavy but clarity had improved to about 3'. SF should be perfect for the next few days. I didn't see any fish or see any signs. Didn't seem overly busy. THere were definitely boats out there but I didn't find it tough finding a place to swing. I hope to see someone post a pic of one of these Ell River Ghosts!

PV_Premier
01-17-2022, 05:17 PM
Finished my trip off this morning back on the Van Duzen. The flows, water color, and my casting were all perfect, but once again the fish didn’t get the message. Started the long drive home on time and just rolled into town about 30’ ago.

This has been my 4th trip to the coast, you think I’d have been due. Alas, was not the case I guess.

hwchubb
01-17-2022, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the updates gents! Started a new job last month, will make it tougher to schedule sales calls up that way so I may not make it this season, living vicariously through all of you.

I have a buddy who is up on the Mad at the moment - he just bobber fishes, but I image he will light it up. He usually does.

BumpBailey
01-18-2022, 08:24 AM
Finished my trip off this morning back on the Van Duzen. The flows, water color, and my casting were all perfect, but once again the fish didn’t get the message. Started the long drive home on time and just rolled into town about 30’ ago.

This has been my 4th trip to the coast, you think I’d have been due. Alas, was not the case I guess.

Don't feel too bad PV. My buddy and I are in the same boat as you. We've each landed a 1/2 pounder up there but, have yet to hook up with an adult on the swing. Last year we took my drift boat up there for the first time. Mostly as a shuttle but we would do some indicator fishing between swing runs. We each hooked into one nice fish over a 4 day stretch but, neither of us were able to keep them on and get them to the boat. My hook up was over in seconds! I've yet to try the VD. Outside of a couple of parks and the mouth, it doesn't seem too accessible.

Well, back to reality and the watching of the weather and the flows.

PV_Premier
01-18-2022, 08:29 AM
I've yet to try the VD. Outside of a couple of parks and the mouth, it doesn't seem too accessible.

Yes, in many cases it requires some creativity. But it's doable...

Jeff F
01-18-2022, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the report, PV. Nice to have first hand accounts of the conditions up there.

~Jeff

yubaman
01-18-2022, 09:04 PM
Second on that. Thanks for the 411. It will be interesting to see how the run pans out up there this year. We were supposed to be putting our 3rd day in of a trip up there tomorrow. Unfortunately, both the Guide and I came down with a bout of Covid. This was nothing more than a light cold for me. So vaccinated, boosted, O+ blood and now getting this thing . . . I figure I am on the Titanium protection plan at this point.

Good luck on the next one guys. I will get my butt up there.

BumpBailey
01-20-2022, 10:32 AM
This has seriously been the slowest drop I've witnessed on the SF in the last 5 years. If you go by the "ideal" range for fishing at the Miranda Gauge, it still hasn't reached it.... The last rains were over two weeks ago... Has this been a colder winter up north than the last few?

Jeff F
01-20-2022, 10:58 AM
This has seriously been the slowest drop I've witnessed on the SF in the last 5 years. If you go by the "ideal" range for fishing at the Miranda Gauge, it still hasn't reached it.... The last rains were over two weeks ago... Has this been a colder winter up north than the last few?

I'm sure the slow drop on the Main Eel is due to the snowmelt into the tribs of the Mendocino NF. Not sure about the SF though. It usually drops much quicker. But according to all reports I've read, the SF is in fine shape now. This weekend is gonna be an absolute zoo up there. I'm staying home and fishing a less crowded stretch of the Russian.

Bob Loblaw
02-07-2022, 10:51 AM
I took my daughter up to the Trinity this weekend; she's been bugging me to go Steelheading for a long time, but like most kids she likes to catch a lot and doesn't like the cold...so I put it off as long as I could.

We stayed at the Strawhouse on Friday night (awesome cabins right on the river) and met our guide at Junction City at 8am. It was cold, maybe 30 degrees, but not as cold as it can get there I know. So much for the "fish of 1000 casts" 20 minutes into the drift, indicator goes down and it felt like I'd snagged a nuclear submarine...except a submarine that could fly! the fish went crazy, my guided did a bit too, which is always a good sign, and 10 minutes later I had my first ever Steelhead in the net. A 29.5 inch fat wild hen...I swear it was over 30" but my guide said nobody gets in the 30" club on their first fish, so 29.5 inches she will be.

10 minutes later the indicator goes down again and same thing, huge fish going crazy and my guide is laughing this time .."Dude this just doesn't happen!" 10 minutes later a 27" beautiful wild buck was in the net.

By this point my daughter was getting a bit frustrated, but on the next run she hooks up and its on! Her first Steelhead and we are all very excited...until she gets it to the boat and its a Brown! :-) I've never seen my kid so disappointed catching a fish!! Didn't last long, over the next few hours she proceeded to put 4 Steelhead in the boat all about 16-20" and one about 22".

I got three more myself in the afternoon all over 16" and one more over 20". 9 Steelhead, 1 brown, 1 hatchery fish all day, the rest were all wild. We pulled out at Bagdad and I went back to the cabin and drank a few beers and smoked a nice cigar!

One of the best days ever!

Bob Loblaw
02-07-2022, 10:57 AM
I took my daughter up to the Trinity this weekend; she's been bugging me to go Steelheading for a long time, but like most kids she likes to catch a lot and doesn't like the cold...so I put it off as long as I could.

We stayed at the Strawhouse on Friday night (awesome cabins right on the river) and met our guide at Junction City at 8am. It was cold, maybe 30 degrees, but not as cold as it can get there I know. So much for the "fish of 1000 casts" 20 minutes into the drift, indicator goes down and it felt like I'd snagged a nuclear submarine...except a submarine that could fly! the fish went crazy, my guided did a bit too, which is always a good sign, and 10 minutes later I had my first ever Steelhead in the net. A 29.5 inch fat wild hen...I swear it was over 30" but my guide said nobody gets in the 30" club on their first fish, so 29.5 inches she will be.

10 minutes later the indicator goes down again and same thing, huge fish going crazy and my guide is laughing this time .."Dude this just doesn't happen!" 10 minutes later a 27" beautiful wild buck was in the net.

By this point my daughter was getting a bit frustrated, but on the next run she hooks up and its on! Her first Steelhead and we are all very excited...until she gets it to the boat and its a Brown! :-) I've never seen my kid so disappointed catching a fish!! Didn't last long, over the next few hours she proceeded to put 4 Steelhead in the boat all about 16-20" and one about 22".

I got three more myself in the afternoon all over 16" and one more over 20". 9 Steelhead, 1 brown, 1 hatchery fish all day, the rest were all wild. We pulled out at Bagdad and I went back to the cabin and drank a few beers and smoked a nice cigar!

One of the best days ever!

fivefingers
02-07-2022, 02:24 PM
Shhhhhh. The Trinity is awful. Don't go there. Definitely not worth fishing.

BumpBailey
02-07-2022, 03:00 PM
That is awesome Bob! Congratulations, your daughter will never forget that trip! Nor will you!

Bob Loblaw
02-07-2022, 03:19 PM
http://https://photos.app.goo.gl/Htxymb5HSQxGjudg6http://https://photos.app.goo.gl/ynneQXR8zKuHRTmP6

Bob Loblaw
02-07-2022, 03:22 PM
http://https://photos.app.goo.gl/Htxymb5HSQxGjudg6 (https://photos.app.goo.gl/Htxymb5HSQxGjudg6)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2022, 08:55 PM
If we don't get any rain for a while they get hatches, kind of like the Lower Yuba river, this time of year in the upper reaches.

Stop by the Trinity Fly Shop in Lewiston.

https://www.trinityflyshop.com/

Sonoman
02-07-2022, 09:49 PM
Awesome report, Bob, and thanks for posting. It made my day and brought back memories! Sounds like an epic weekend for you and your daughter and those memories last forever. My four sons, now in their 20's and 30's, love nothing more than to go fishing with Dad...they learned a long time ago that fishing is not about the fish, it's about time together. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Mark Kranhold
02-07-2022, 11:31 PM
That’s an etched in the brain day, congrats to you and your daughter, special times!!

Natekursow
02-08-2022, 12:44 AM
I'm sure that in 2 or three weeks that fish'll have grown to at least 35";)

NK

Bob Loblaw
02-08-2022, 09:37 AM
There were Brown Drakes coming off all day, a few Golden Stones, and lots of Midges...but no risers.