PDA

View Full Version : 3 ea J .Kennedy Fisher fly rod blanks

costalsteel
12-07-2021, 05:52 PM
Have 3 un-used vintage J Kennedy Fisher fly rod blanks.

Two are Original Graphite

One is Phenolic resin fiberglass

All have spigot ferrules.

1ea 9' 0'' 2pc 4/5wt. - Graphite

1ea 10'0'' 2pc. 8/9 wt. - Graphite

1ea. 8'6'' 2pc . 7 wt. Phenolic Fiberglass

These spigot ferule blanks are Fisher's iconic progressive action.

Either for $150.00. These are great blanks . A bit of fly rod history .

Jay Murakoshi
12-08-2021, 08:00 PM
you have a photo of the glass blank.

Lance Gray
12-08-2021, 08:55 PM
Have 3 un-used vintage J Kennedy Fisher 'Original' graphite blanks. One glass Phenolic resin Fiberglass

1ea 9' 0'' 2pc 4/5wt

1ea 10'0'' 2pc. 8/9 wt.

1) ea. 8'6'' 2pc . 7 wt. spigot ferule Phenolic Fiberglass

These spigot ferule blank are Fishers iconic progressive action.

Either for $150.00. These are great blanks . A bit of fly rod history .

If I didn't have 7 Fisher rods and if Jim Clarkson was still alive I would buy them both. Great rods.

costalsteel
12-09-2021, 09:27 AM
We will be having to history about Fisher Fly Rods in the near future . The first is the salute to the Fisher / Winston Phenolic Resin Fly Rod 7 wt. Glass Rods. That we have use for over 40 years for Coastal Steelhead. Some of the greatest fiberglass ever made. These rod have stood the test of time in history highly sot after even today . Old School is Still alive and well on our California River .

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-09-2021, 01:09 PM
I believe Fisher rods originated in Southern Cal, then moved to Cason City, NV.

They made rods and blanks for Winston, Scott, 3M/Scientific Angler and Cortland.....possible more.

They also made "Shop Rods" for us fly shops. We had them make us an 8' #2/3 in 2 pc. Sweet rod.

The 8'6" #7 line in 2 pc in fiberglass was a wonderful size fly rod for big trout, bass and lighter Steelhead.

Jay Murakoshi
12-10-2021, 07:53 PM
They went from Southern Cal to Moundhouse, NV. In the heart of the red light district. I made a number of visits to the Fisher plant. At that time it was just a Butler metal building with a small sign. Jim and Joe were the greatest people in the industry. Ever heard of the Fisher Bush Rod?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2021, 05:54 AM
We had some great fly rod companies in California:

Fisher, Scott, Winston, Fenwick.........

Janos
12-13-2021, 09:49 PM
Randy please check your PM's

costalsteel
12-28-2021, 07:28 PM
I knew Jim For many years . He was a great guy & a great rod builder .

costalsteel
12-28-2021, 07:59 PM
Bill, You know what a wonderful fishing rod company J. Kennedy Fisher was over the decades .

They took lessons from a number redound fisherman over the years . Joe listen to people that had a dream about
what was needed to make a not just good but always strived to help us in our own line of rods & truly make us successful . Always kudo for that personal touch from the company .

I am one that, still to this day, thinks that the golden age of fly rod would not be the same with out The Fishers .
Today's rods just are not the same.

I strive to to make old school Cool. People just don't know what these rods bring to the table .
Maybe the industry need a history lesson . That pink, green, brown or blue does not make a rod new .

Randy Johnson

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-28-2021, 08:56 PM
Hi Randy

Nice to see you on the Forum.

I guess us old timers are still romantic about the fiberglass fly rods we grew up using.

Joe Fisher was able to build new fly rods from graphite that still felt like fiberglass.

Randy is a veteran fly fishing guide, fly fishing educator, fly developer and rod builder.

He spent his life in the Truckee river area chasing trout and on the North Coast of California chasing Steelhead.

Many years ago he developed a streamer fishing system with a full sinking line and his "Snarktail streamer".

Randy developed his own unique methods for catching fish.

Jcolin
12-29-2021, 09:25 AM
I bought one of Randy’s fiberglass rods built from a fisher blank, a 8’2 5 weight. Its become one of my favorite rods, love it for throwing dries but also streamers, poppers for bass etc. I like fishing it with an an old pflueger medalist with a clear intermediate line and its been a hoot on stillwaters.

costalsteel
01-02-2022, 01:28 PM
I believe Fisher rods originated in Southern Cal, then moved to Cason City, NV.

They made rods and blanks for Winston, Scott, 3M/Scientific Angler and Cortland.....possible more.

They also made "Shop Rods" for us fly shops. We had them make us an 8' #2/3 in 2 pc. Sweet rod.

The 8'6" #7 line in 2 pc in fiberglass was a wonderful size fly rod for big trout, bass and lighter Steelhead.

There a hundreds of company Shops & Professional Anglers around the globe.
Fisher made rods & blanks for from Canada to Japan and every ware in between. USA being it's biggest market by far . The Mound House plant being the biggest . Many world records were taken on fishers rods over the decades .

SpecialK
01-04-2022, 10:34 AM
We will be having to history about Fisher Fly Rods in the near future . The first is the salute to the Fisher / Winston Phenolic Resin Fly Rod 7 wt. Glass Rods. That we have use for over 40 years for Coastal Steelhead. Some of the greatest fiberglass ever made. These rod have stood the test of time in history highly sot after even today . Old School is Still alive and well on our California River .

When will the history of Fisher happen and how can I be notified?