PDA

View Full Version : Fall River by kayak?

trepverter
12-07-2021, 10:28 AM
Haven't been to the Fall before and wanted to check on the viability of using kayaks to navigate the stretch near the confluence of the Tule. We have SOT pedal-drive Hobies....is this a terrible idea?

Thanks

WLREDBAND
12-07-2021, 01:40 PM
I see kayaks all the time on the Fall. There is no wading access, so if you're comfortable with fishing from them in slow moving water, go for it. Going upstream a ways may require significant energy! Not a terrible idea at all.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-08-2021, 05:16 AM
You might need an anchor on the rear.

Ralph
12-11-2021, 02:58 PM
I see kayaks all the time on the Fall. There is no wading access, so if you're comfortable with fishing from them in slow moving water, go for it. Going upstream a ways may require significant energy! Not a terrible idea at all.

A fun all day float/fish is to launch at Cal Trout and take out at the Dredge or even Rat Ranch. Used to be a guy who would shuttle. No idea if that option still exists.

BobVP
12-13-2021, 12:42 AM
I have been using my canoe on The Fall for years, both above and below the Cal Trout launch.
As Bill mentioned, you may want to use an anchor at times. I carry two and anchor abeam.
I have paddled there when it was very high, choosing to paddle up and drift back....when the wind would allow!...and when the current has been "normal" and I love it!

My only word of caution is, if you will be fishing later in the day, i.e.; After dark, make sure to carry a strong light! One night, on my way back downstream there were two boats screaming downriver, no running lights and I managed to get my headlight turned on in time for them to realize I was there! No fun....