PDA

View Full Version : Trip report from last weekend near Burney

Natekursow
11-09-2021, 08:38 PM
Went up north last weekend and was planning on fishing most of the rivers in the Burney/Redding area.... but the McCloud, lower Sac and Pit were all blown out :mad:

Instead I fished Hat creek on Friday morning, and there was a nice Baetis hatch, but I realized I left my Baetis dries at home...:(

After an hour or two at Hat creek, I went over to Baum lake to see if I could hook into any of the megabows I've heard live there... no big ones, but there was a Callibaetis hatch going on, and I got one fish on the dry before heading to a local Forebay to see if I could get any of the monsters that supposedly live in there... I got several fish on the midge, but nothing huge, and nothing on the streamer. Also talked with two other fly guys I met, and the one guy had seen an 18" Brookie caught the day before. After about an hour, the bite tapered off, so I headed back down to the inflow of Hat creek to Baum lake, where I was hoping to get some big ones, but I couldn't keep the smaller ones (12-16 inches, so not bad) off my line... in the end it was a quantity over quality day, with about 25 trout landed, and I'm sure I could have gotten a lot more if I wasn't experimenting with different flies. All in all it was a pretty good day:cool:

NK

EricO
11-10-2021, 04:06 PM
Nice trip report. Too bad the Pit was blown, you would have
crushed it this time of year. But a bunch of 12-16” is awesome.
I’ve tried Baum once to no avail but seen pics of some big boys.

Eric

Bob Loblaw
11-12-2021, 03:59 PM
Nice trip report. Too bad the Pit was blown, you would have
crushed it this time of year. But a bunch of 12-16” is awesome.
I’ve tried Baum once to no avail but seen pics of some big boys.

Eric

In Baum lake your best friend is a balanced leech.

sansar
11-13-2021, 10:16 AM
nice trip report. (https://fishing-en.com/knowing-the-different-fishing-line-types-best-braided-fishing-line/)