PDA

View Full Version : Heenan Lake 2021 Regulation Changes

BS
08-18-2021, 10:08 PM
So, with all of the fires burning and horrible smoke around California and Nevada I've been pretty much home bound for over a month. :mad::mad:

Boy, do I need a fish fix ......................... :(:(

Tonight I was doing a little google searching and dreaming about Heenan Lake.
I missed out on fishing Heenan last year, for many reasons, and I made myself a promise that I wouldn't let that happen again this year. :p:p

Anyhow.................. I just read the 2021–2022 California Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations (Effective March 1, 2021 through February 28, 2022) and found a couple of significant changes regarding Heenan Lake.

First .......................... Heenan will be open 7 days a week ........ no more Friday, Saturday, Sundays only !!! :cool::cool:

Second.................... The "open to fishing season" has been extended from Sep. 1 through Nov. 30.
That's an extra month to fish the lake. :cool::cool:

For me it's a big win !!!! :cool::cool:

Maybe the extra days and month will thin out the "Bowl of Cheerio's" commonly referred to on opening day. :confused::confused:

Just thought I'd share a little "good news" amongst all the doom and gloom out there right now. :D:D

Dang Cutthroats ......................................

Bob

Woodman
08-19-2021, 09:13 AM
S

Just thought I'd share a little "good news" amongst all the doom and gloom out there right now. :D:D

Not sure that I agree this is good news for the fishery. Overall the 2021 regs are a bit of a debacle for some of our trout fisheries.

Quinnphoto
08-19-2021, 02:13 PM
So, with all of the fires burning and horrible smoke around California and Nevada I've been pretty much home bound for over a month. :mad::mad:

Boy, do I need a fish fix ......................... :(:(

Tonight I was doing a little google searching and dreaming about Heenan Lake.
I missed out on fishing Heenan last year, for many reasons, and I made myself a promise that I wouldn't let that happen again this year. :p:p

Anyhow.................. I just read the 2021–2022 California Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations (Effective March 1, 2021 through February 28, 2022) and found a couple of significant changes regarding Heenan Lake.

First .......................... Heenan will be open 7 days a week ........ no more Friday, Saturday, Sundays only !!! :cool::cool:

Second.................... The "open to fishing season" has been extended from Sep. 1 through Nov. 30.
That's an extra month to fish the lake. :cool::cool:

For me it's a big win !!!! :cool::cool:

Maybe the extra days and month will thin out the "Bowl of Cheerio's" commonly referred to on opening day. :confused::confused:

Dang Cutthroats ......................................

Bob

The herd on weekends will be spread out and more comfortable for all. The extended month will be worth watching and later analyzed. Once The November weather hits at that altitude I don’t think many will want to endure the cold. Besides Pyramid will be hitting its best month of fishing. Hmmm Heenan five pounders or Pyramid 20 plus pounders :)

Quinnphoto
08-25-2021, 10:14 AM
Looks like Heenan is part of a national forest that is closed till after Labor Day.

Woodman
08-25-2021, 11:29 AM
Looks like Heenan is part of a national forest that is closed till after Labor Day.

Don't think so. It's a State area and also surrounded by Humboldt-Toiyabe which is not on the closure list.

Dick
08-25-2021, 03:40 PM
Woodman-- You may want to check with the Humboldt-Toiyabe. It looks to me that at least the Carson District is closed.

Woodman
08-25-2021, 04:37 PM
Woodman-- You may want to check with the Humboldt-Toiyabe. It looks to me that at least the Carson District is closed.

Only portions of Carson RD and at any rate the highway through the forest isn't closed and FS can't close a state area.

Quinnphoto
08-25-2021, 06:31 PM
I’ll call the district office tomorrow and get the official word and let you all know definitively.

Quinnphoto
08-26-2021, 05:53 PM
They called back and replied the plan for now is to open Heenan on the first.

BS
08-26-2021, 07:35 PM
They called back and replied the plan for now is to open Heenan on the first.

Thank you Bill for doing the leg-work on this. :cool::cool:

Looks like I may have a chance to fish SOMEWHERE real soon. :p:p

Dang Cutthroats.........................

Bob

Mark Kranhold
08-27-2021, 06:49 AM
Now the internet knows, the crowds will come!

Quinnphoto
08-27-2021, 08:53 AM
But on what day of the week? :)

Quinnphoto
08-27-2021, 11:17 AM
For those who think I am doing a disservice to a small lake and its secrets I just sent this response to a pm from someone who thought I should keep my mouth shut.

I checked a publication I bought years ago and you might know of it or have it by Bill Sinderland. The first book was published in 2001 so over twenty years ago. In it he speaks of Heenan Lake and how he doesn't really enjoy going anymore becasue he has to put up with 30 float tubers on the water. I have never even seen close to that twenty years later. So I am suspect of anyone claiming that there are more fisherman today and more coming becasue of a post in Kienes forum except last year due to covid. I like visiting all kind of bodies of waters at certain times of the year. I love reading other's posts as well. I used to be paralyzed without the ability to walk due to an accident for a short time in my life years ago. I would vicariously live through the posters at the time and appreciated their sharing of stories on different waters and travels. I am not trying for self gratification as you call it. I'm sorry you feel that way but my purpose is to share information that can bring joy and outdoor recreational happiness to others.

Jcolin
08-27-2021, 11:30 AM
Covids been bad crowd wise for outdoor recreation everywhere. The amount of people in the backcountry not burying their waste etc has been extremely disheartening. That said heenans hardly a secret. Havent fished it a few years and might actually go this year as im assuming the crowds will be better being open more than 3 days a week for a small window.

Mark Kranhold
08-27-2021, 11:53 AM
Yes, not a secret but the more things get publicized and talked about on the inerweb the more pressure comes to those fisheries. The internet has ruined a lot of cherished waters. Just keep things to yourselves and let people do their own homework!

avidangler
08-29-2021, 09:08 PM
Just keep things to yourselves and let people do their own homework!Whom are you to tell people what they can and can't do?

Woodman
08-30-2021, 08:14 AM
Now the internet knows, the crowds will come!

I think I first went to Heenan in 1988 or 1989 and it was not a secret then. I think the pressure from the Kiene's Forum will be pretty minimal with the 1 or 2 posts per day that occur here.

Ralph
08-30-2021, 08:48 AM
Yes, not a secret but the more things get publicized and talked about on the inerweb the more pressure comes to those fisheries. The internet has ruined a lot of cherished waters. Just keep things to yourselves and let people do their own homework!

EXACTLY. I've always hated Outside and Sunset magazines for their never ending exposés of "secret places". The internet is worse by a factor of 1,000.