PDA

View Full Version : LOST my passport in Mexico-how to get home

Carl Blackledge
07-24-2021, 11:01 AM
Well after I arrived in Loreto, Mexico this year I realized I lost my passport, what the hell am I going to do now? I tried calling the american consulate in La Paz and I even sent them an email-Their reply email went something like this This office is closed and if you need anything contact TJ, now I am really getting concerned, so I took a day off from fishing and went to the airport and talked to Valero airlines about getting on the plane from Loreto to TJ, they said NO, no way, after a little discussion and talking to the management they agreed that it was OK to fly from one part of Mexico to the other part of mexico with out a passport. so the next move was to figure out how to walk across the boarder after all I did have my California federal ID...so here goes after a month of fishing and with this heavy burden on my mind I bought a ticket on a flight to TJ from Loreto. After I landed and they would not let me cross the boarder at the airport, they said I would have to go to the regular boarder crossing , so I walked outside of the airport and paid $30.00 for a short taxi ride to the boarder crossing, when I looked at the line I almost passed out...it was 4-6 people wide and not sure how long, just about that time some local guy asks me if i want to get to the front of the line for $20.00 I said yes and if I don't get to the front I want my money back, he agreed so as we took off to the front of the line I suddenly noticed we were walking on a blue line (for the handicapped ) I did have my leg brace on, so right to the front of the line I went, as I got there the woman officer asked me if I was a US citizen I said yes and continued on my way for another 300-400 feet and was greeted by US customs, this gal asked if I had a passport I said no I lost it, she asked if I had ever had an passport, I answered yes, so she told me to put my chin on the camera and took my picture, after a minute, she said "have a nice day" I was never so happy in my life at that moment, however still not out of the woods I now had to pay another $60.00 for a taxi ride to the San Diego airport, buy a flight to San Francisco, then take a commuter bus for $35.00 to Santa Rosa then a $20.00 cab ride home....what a scary ordeal and adventure. so the moral of the story is don't lose your passport , and in the event you do, you can get out of the country with out one...you just can't fly out of the country on a plane.I hope somebody learns from my mistake. I had several people with computers googling information claiming you can't get out of the Mexico without a passport, yes you can, you just can't fly across the boarder without a passport, thanks for all the help from my special buddy in Loreto Gary Roller

Carl Blackledge

Tony Buzolich
07-24-2021, 01:19 PM
I've always been told to make several copies of your actual passport before you go anywhere, and I do.

Glad you made back as simple as you did. Foreign countries are a different world.
Tony

Jay Murakoshi
07-24-2021, 01:30 PM
Yep, I agree with Tony, I have a dozen copies of my passport just for that reason.

Carl Blackledge
07-24-2021, 02:33 PM
Sorry guys....a copy of a passport isn't valid...My wife has a copy of the original and was going to fax it to me...the air lines said no dice. Its what I was told.

Carl Blackledge

JayDubP
07-24-2021, 02:35 PM
Carl, Well done & glad you got back. A cheap lesson. It looks like you were very smart and very lucky to navigate the bureaucrats.

Like Tony & Jay, I have copies of my key documents: passport, driver's license, insurance cards & credit cards that I store at several secured locations online, so in worst case I can display them to an official on my phone or email to them to print out a hard copy.

Plus when I am out and about I carry copy of my passport and DL. I have never had to produce the original in last 10- 15 years, copy has even been good enough for hotel check in.

Jim

JayDubP
07-24-2021, 02:53 PM
I misplaced my passport 3 years ago and returned from Italy to UK to USA with pdf I could display on my phone. Boarding agents already had my passport info on the computer.

Carl Blackledge
07-24-2021, 03:53 PM
Jaydubp,

I am happy you made it back also. I called Alaska airlines while stuck in Mexico, They told me flat out "no pass port no flight" you can't even board the plane without one if your flying into the USA, however at a boarder crossing that's a different story...perhaps cause it's mexico, I am not sure...soon as the US customs agent took my picture and I showed her my federal ID, she let me in...seems to me that a copy of a passport could be forged pretty easy....was posting this so others could possibly be helped.

Carl Blackledge

Ralph
07-24-2021, 04:32 PM
I misplaced my passport 3 years ago and returned from Italy to UK to USA with pdf I could display on my phone. Boarding agents already had my passport info on the computer.

Very true. Take a picture of the first two pages of your passport, store in the cloud, and you are pretty much golden . . . unless the agent want to be a prick.

Darian
07-24-2021, 04:55 PM
The last time I had my passport renewed, it was issued along with a "*PASSPORT CARD*" for the wallet. It was plastic and the size of a credit card. I've carried it at all times but never have had to use it. Wonder if it would've been honored in MX??? I always figured it was good for access to federal/state facilities, here.

Carl Blackledge
07-24-2021, 05:22 PM
Ralph, I am not sure about what you said, however in Mexico the agents seem to be all pricks...now after that being said, both the officers on the boarder leaving Mexico and returning to the USA were all smiles, however most any questions asked of the agents say
no, perhaps they don't understand? anyway I am home :)

They get another shot at me this October

Carl

Woodman
07-24-2021, 07:21 PM
The last time I had my passport renewed, it was issued along with a "*PASSPORT CARD*" for the wallet. It was plastic and the size of a credit card. I've carried it at all times but never have had to use it. Wonder if it would've been honored in MX??? I always figured it was good for access to federal/state facilities, here.

My understanding is the Passport card can be used to cross the physical border in Canada. Don't know about Mexico. It also keeps you from needing the RealID.

Darian
07-24-2021, 11:40 PM
Good to know, Woodman. Thanks.

Larry S
07-25-2021, 05:30 AM
Darian,
Yes, Mexico accepts the wallet-size card. It does cost extra.

Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Jay Murakoshi
07-25-2021, 08:24 AM
You might not get a passport in time. They were saying up to 16 weeks possibly longer to get a new passport now. Not even expedite will work.

Carl Blackledge
07-25-2021, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=Darian;204388]The last time I had my passport renewed, it was issued along with a "*PASSPORT CARD*" for the wallet. It was plastic and the size of a credit card. I've carried it at all times but never have had to use it. Wonder if it would've been honored in MX??? I always figured it was good for access to federal/state facilities, here.[/QUOTE

Darian,

Not sure you could use it to fly on a plane crossing a boarder, however having all that information handy perhaps wouldn't be a bad ideal. I am pretty sure you need a picture ID ?

Carl

Darian
07-25-2021, 11:40 AM
Carl,.... The card has your photo (same as on the formal passport) on its face and a magnetic strip that, I guess, has the same info as the formal passport. There's an additional cost for the card but it might be well worth it.

Larry,.... Thanks for the info. So, the card is acceptable at Canadian/Mexican borders.

Larry S
07-25-2021, 01:44 PM
Darian,
I used the card returning from Ensenada to the US thru TJ in Feb, 2020.
Can't vouch for other scenarios and possibilities. I assume it would work.
Just talked to my nephew's wife. They flew to Cancun and back using the
passport card. We know it works for Mexico. Bottom line? Probably
need to check with airlines.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-25-2021, 04:13 PM
I use to make several inkjet color copies of my passport on photo paper and hide them around in my luggage.

Never needed them and I find them from time to time.

jersey
07-26-2021, 05:55 AM
The card works for nations sharing a common border with the US.

Cards will work for Mexico travel. They were $40 last spring.

Larry S
07-26-2021, 07:19 AM
jersey,
Found this info, which sure seems misleading, at best. You are correct about the use.

https://www.dmv.org/articles/how-a-passport-card-differs-from-a-passport-book/#:~:text=You%20can%20use%20your%20U.S.%20passport% 20card%20to,passport%20card%20share%20the%20same%2 0terms%20of%20validity%3A

Best,
Larry S

Carl Blackledge
07-26-2021, 09:24 AM
Larry,

Thank you for posting that...I been trying to tell these guys the same thing...you can't fly across any international boarder in a plane without a passport , in fact they won't even let you get on the plane....If the little wallet card worked everywhere why even have the larger one? walking across the boarder is different then flying across. When I was stuck in Mexico I called everybody I knew for help, everybody I knew said the same thing and I am trying to explain here. I only posted this trying to maybe help some other poor bastard that gets in the same position I was in.

Carl

Larry S
07-26-2021, 09:49 AM
Carl,
I should have mentioned that my nephew and his wife flew out of TJ's airport, which probably
accounted for that result.
Glad you did make it back! You certainly can relate to the Grateful Dead's "What a long strange
trip it's been!"
Best to you,
Larry S
Sun Diego

gitt
07-26-2021, 09:59 AM
Carl, curious if the Covid testing results had any additional strain on re-entry into the US? Are there safes in the Oasis rooms that could have kept your passport secure until your departure?

Carl Blackledge
07-26-2021, 11:04 AM
Gitt,

USA requires you to pass a Covid test within 72 hours of re-entering the Country, However if you walk across the boarder "NOBODY" asked me for a test even though I did have a valid test and a certificate to prove it.

The Oasis does have saftey deposit boxes to use for your valuables. I lost my passport from the best I can tell from the entry point of the airport to the hotel. Yes I searched everywhere even went to "lost and found" and called the police to see if anybody turned it in

Carl

gitt
07-26-2021, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the clarifications. What an adventure in seeking a return to the US without the need to enter illegally. I am not quite certain a wall would have kept you out. I hope you are able to get replacement documents before your next trip outside our borders and appreciate you sharing your firsthand experience.

Carl Blackledge
07-26-2021, 01:04 PM
Gitt,

Yes it was quite an experience. I came home 2 weeks earlier then I wanted too cause it was bothering me so much and all the bull shit everybody were telling me, after weeding through all of the bull I took off and walked across the boarder and I did it legally...hope this helps somebody else who was dump enough to lose there pass port :)

Next year I will go for 2 months. I will stick my passport in my lock box at the hotel and just carry my temporary Visa. If you lose the temporary visa it's only a $50.00 fine...still a bargain.

Carl Blackledge

Mark Kranhold
07-29-2021, 09:09 PM
Maybe your passport was stolen by someone so they could get across the border? Lots of corruption down there.

Carl Blackledge
07-30-2021, 08:55 AM
Mark,

I don't think it was stolen. I think I dropped it as I left the airport, I know the passport never made to the hotel. anyway I made it home and lived to tell about it. I had planned to go back in October, too bad I won't have a new passport in time for that trip. Carl