PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Bows

Zepher
07-23-2021, 05:54 PM
I just spent 5 days fishing some streams in the southern Sierra. It looks like the Brook trout have taken over. 1 in 20 fish is a rainbow. Is this another "something" that I need to get used to ?

Ralph
07-23-2021, 08:46 PM
I just spent 5 days fishing some streams in the southern sierra. It looks like the Brook trout have taken over. 1 in 20 fish is a rainbow. Is this another "something" that I need to get used to ?

For a while, yes. With climate change the brookies will likely thin and rainbows, browns and goldens will prevail. Goldens??? Yes, unlike the popular myth that goldens are from the icy clear waters of the High Sierra, they originated in streams of the Kern Plateau where water temperatures can climb to 80° or more. They live in the high elevation lakes only because we put them there.

Zepher
07-26-2021, 09:13 AM
Ralph, thanks for the reply and info.

To me, the rainbows have always seemed to be territorial, aggressive, voracious feeders and downright maniacal stream fish. I once read a report that the Thompson River Bows travel 100Â’s of miles in either direction, for no apparent reason. The stream Bad Boys may just like to road trippin.