PDA

View Full Version : Stripers on the A?

Natekursow
07-16-2021, 11:18 AM
If I had a few hours to fish the American river tonight to try to catch my first striper, would it be worth it? I would just be shore fishing. Would the upper river, or lower river be better? Thanks!

NK

Charlie Gonzales
07-16-2021, 02:03 PM
yes its worth it, and every access point on the American has striper water.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-16-2021, 07:36 PM
Andy says after the Shad slow down the Stripers get better in Aug/Sept.

Natekursow
07-17-2021, 10:33 AM
Thanks! I didn't get the chance to go last night, but hopefully soon...

NK

Rossflyguy
07-18-2021, 06:27 PM
Rossmore exit has good water with bank access. Biggest striper I ever saw was in that section.

Natekursow
07-18-2021, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the input! In terms of fly selection, would a basic clouser work? Or are there any other patterns I should try? And how should I fish it?

NK

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-19-2021, 04:30 AM
If you ever want to get an education about Stripers in the entire length of the lower American river I would hire Captain Andy Guibord.

He knows exactly where every large Striper (over 30#) has been caught in the passed 20 years.

Floating and fishing the river is a huge eye opener too.

This next month or so is a good time for Stripers on the A........

https://andyguibord.wordpress.com/

Charlie Gonzales
07-19-2021, 02:26 PM
A medium fast 7 is a great all around rod for all the valley rivers and the species that are in it. I have mine paired with a Rio Versatip and it allows me to fish every type of water. If you have to pick one line I would suggest a 15' type 3 or 4(most would say a type 6) since you will be wading. This line will allow you to fish most types of water, not all stripes are going to be deep; if you do need to get deep, cast up stream, mend and let it sink. A couple 2/0 clousers and deceivers and you're set. A seven will also get you into black bass fishing too.