PDA

View Full Version : Beating the heat

Quinnphoto
07-12-2021, 10:31 AM
To beat the heat I fished Twin Lakes at Mammoth. They stock the heck out of that lake and it’s quite full of cold water. Air temperature was 80 at its height but I was off the lake before the peak heat. The main hatches were midges in the morning, calibaetis mid morning and damsels soon after. Fun to fish the hatch since these fish take little time after planting to key on their food sources. The bait and tackle guys would catch their fair share of a handful of fish. The fly guys out fish them 6 to 1.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-12-2021, 02:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoiLCuTbCHg

Jcolin
07-13-2021, 08:03 AM
Nice Quinn, did you catch any browns or was it all rainbows? Ive never had much luck at twin lakes, seen pictures of the huge browns in there. I really like the backcountry out of that trailhead.

BS
07-13-2021, 08:31 AM
To beat the heat I fished Twin Lakes at Mammoth. They stock the heck out of that lake and it’s quite full of cold water. Air temperature was 80 at its height but I was off the lake before the peak heat. The main hatches were midges in the morning, calibaetis mid morning and damsels soon after. Fun to fish the hatch since these fish take little time after planting to key on their food sources. The bait and tackle guys would catch their fair share of a handful of fish. The fly guys out fish them 6 to 1.

Bill !!!

This sounds like a place I'd like to try. :cool::cool:

Was it a rent-a-cabin, or motel, or camping trip for you ???
Any details appreciated...................

I'm needing to find some cold stillwater fishing.................somewhere........ 'bout had enough of this heat stuff.............. :mad::mad::mad:

Bob

Woodman
07-13-2021, 10:01 AM
Same. Thinking about heading down to Twin Lakes and/or Virginia Lakes the weekend after this.

Quinnphoto
07-13-2021, 02:31 PM
Nice Quinn, did you catch any browns or was it all rainbows? Ive never had much luck at twin lakes, seen pictures of the huge browns in there. I really like the backcountry out of that trailhead.

I only caught pretty much planted rainbow, a few brook trout and some native fish, maybe whitefish or I can’t think of the name locals call them.

Quinnphoto
07-14-2021, 07:57 AM
Bill !!!

This sounds like a place I'd like to try. :cool::cool:

Was it a rent-a-cabin, or motel, or camping trip for you ???
Any details appreciated...................

I'm needing to find some cold stillwater fishing.................somewhere........ 'bout had enough of this heat stuff.............. :mad::mad::mad:

Bob

My wife and I rented a condo in Snowcreek. It was a ten minute drive up to the lake from there. It felt like going to a county park pond that was well stocked. Of course the views are spectacular the water cool and you still had to figure out the hatches for best results. The Mammoth Lakes and Virginia Lakes are around 9000+ feet so enjoy the cool mornings and comfortable afternoons. You’re not far from Carson City even for a day trip.

Quinnphoto
07-14-2021, 07:59 AM
Same. Thinking about heading down to Twin Lakes and/or Virginia Lakes the weekend after this.

I think you’ll enjoy the trip. Perfect time to beat the heat Fishing is good early and late.

FREEDOM-FLYFISHER
07-14-2021, 01:38 PM
Are you going to fight for disabled veterans access at county lakes?

Quinnphoto
07-14-2021, 06:28 PM
Are you going to fight for disabled veterans access at county lakes?

The Mammoth Lakes have good access for the disabled.