PDA

View Full Version : Sad news regarding the Dolores River

Larry S
07-07-2021, 02:57 PM
https://www.fieldandstream.com/fishing/drought-conditions-killing-trout-dolores-river/

Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Mr T
07-07-2021, 04:10 PM
Sad

We cannot keep moving people in to regions and taking more and more water with no effect.

Darian
07-10-2021, 12:53 PM
Larry,.... That's a sorry state of affairs for the Dolores River but I think we'll be seeing more of that condition for streams/rivers in the Colorado River and California river drainages as this year progresses.

Mr T,.... Agreed but housing development is only part of the problem. BigAg/industrial users are the recipients of the lions share of water in both drainages.... A reasonable level of restraint on demand by all user groups is what is called for.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-10-2021, 04:39 PM
My daughter told me that in California our AG/Industry (golf courses?) is about 85% of the water use and Residential is about 15%.

Water Barrens are now counting the CA water "wasted to the ocean" yearly.

The big CA water plan (1850s) includes a dam across the Golden Gate.

Darian
07-10-2021, 08:27 PM
"The big CA water plan (1850s) includes a dam across the Golden Gate." That one made me laugh as I've wondered when the water wizards were going to propose placing a dam in the Carquinez Straights?? (tongue firmly placed in cheek)

As it's been pointed out on this Forum in the past, golf courses use re-cycled water to keep everything green. If that drainage water is recovered/treated for potential pollutants it can be recycled again....

BigAg and industrial users are the major recipients in Calif. Here, Big Ag receives water from the CVP/SWP's uses it for irrigation and then returns it along with polluted with mineral salts, fertilizers, and insecticides to a collection area (San Luis Drain for example) or drains it directly to a waterway (untreated for the most part). No different along the Colorado River drainage.

Demands on water whether in drought conditions or not far exceeds that available.