PDA

View Full Version : East Carson info

Eric F
06-22-2021, 08:41 AM
Does anyone have advice on fishing the East Carson from the airport to Hangman's bridge? I took a short hike here a couple months ago and it looked interesting enough to come back and fish but I've never fished it. It looks like the flows are really low right now, 95 cfs which is about what it normally sees in Sept/Oct, is that a concern? I'd appreciate any tips you guys might have.

Thanks,
Eric

Woodman
06-22-2021, 09:54 AM
Does anyone have advice on fishing the East Carson from the airport to Hangman's bridge? I took a short hike here a couple months ago and it looked interesting enough to come back and fish but I've never fished it. It looks like the flows are really low right now, 95 cfs which is about what it normally sees in Sept/Oct, is that a concern? I'd appreciate any tips you guys might have.

Thanks,
Eric

Take a thermometer. With the low flows and hot temps this year a lot of these waters are going to be at stressful temps for the fish.

ARichcrook
06-22-2021, 10:05 AM
Been 3 years since I moved away so take this for what it’s worth.
At that flow rate it should be easy access to wade and walk. Water temps will go up pretty quickly if they haven’t already so keep an eye on that.
I always carried two rods, one floater for nymphs and dries or hopper dropper setup. One streamer setup. There are some deep holes!
Hopper action provided my best (favorite) days. Midges, caddis and mayfly nymphs can all work depending on what’s available for the time you go.
I will say, the fishing seemed to be steadily going downhill over the 8 or so years I was fishing it. Hopefully you don’t encounter that. Usually didn’t see anyone or maybe one or two others where you want to go.

Two things to note;
There are lots of rattlesnakes down there so watch where you step.
It can get pretty hot if the weather is warm so think about hydration.

Rich

Jake O
06-22-2021, 05:31 PM
I would not bother going down to the airport and fishing towards Hangmans--I would go to the airport and fish downstream. If you wanted to start up river from the Airport I would walk upstream from the airport to Marklee creek and then fish my way downstream. As Rich mentioned, the E Carson especially bellow hangman's is about as snakey as the McCloud. Only two places that I generally have about a 50% chance of running into a rattler during the spring/summer. Most people step over them and don't even notice them---you will be fine--just emphasizing the point to be on guard (but I hate snakes so I am a little biased). 95 CFS is not too low to fish it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-22-2021, 10:11 PM
Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters at South Lake Tahoe will have the best answers for you.

They have a famous guide service out of that shop.

The owner and personal friend, Victor Babbitt, is a real fine guy.

https://tahoeflyfishing.com/

Eric F
06-23-2021, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, this is great. I'm curious about Jake Os comment about fishing downstream, I was taught as a kid to fish upstream. What is the thinking here?

Also do you think the fishing is better below the airport or above?

Thanks,Eric

Jake O
06-23-2021, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, this is great. I'm curious about Jake Os comment about fishing downstream, I was taught as a kid to fish upstream. What is the thinking here?

Also do you think the fishing is better below the airport or above?

Thanks,Eric

I think the fishing up-stream is a bit of a misnomer. You can walk 100 yards up stream, and fish up stream from there. You can also walk a 100 yards down stream, and fish upstream. I would fish down stream from the airport as in walk as far as you can (or would like to depending on how fast you fish) down stream and fish back towards the airport (up stream). I just don't really personally care for the water upstream of the airport except around the creek can be good. Sure, there are other good spots upstream too--i just prefer the water downstream.

Jcolin
06-24-2021, 06:46 AM
Im sorry to derail, but anyone fish indian creek resevoir in the past few years? Lost the biggest brown ive ever hooked about 7-8 years ago, havent fished it since. The game warden i talked to on the e carson said there werent any in there and must have been a cutthroat or rainbow but came very close to landing it several times and was a brown for sure. Maybe Ralph or somebody else on here who fished the area back in the day can confirm that they at least used to be in there?

Smitty Fish
06-24-2021, 09:47 AM
I use to fish Indian Creek res .I’ve landed a brown in there. From what I’ve herd they don’t plant it like they use to. Due to $$ I believe.

Eric F
06-28-2021, 09:43 AM
We arrived about noon on Friday and missed the trail going down but found it half way down. It is really beautiful down there and we did OK fishing. We fished Friday evening, Saturday morning and Saturday evening and we probably landed 8 fish each with a bunch more that we lost. Most were in the 6-8" range with a couple larger. I forgot my thermometer but on Saturday at 8:30pm as we're wading back to camp I realized just how warm the water felt and that we probably should have stopped fishing a while ago. Next time I'll have a thermometer.

We did see a bear on the other side of the river which was really cool and a highlight of the trip. We also saw a bunch of dark snakes in the water, several eating fish. They had a diamond pattern on them and almost looked like a darker rattler but with a pointy tail. I don't ever recall seeing these before. Does anyone know what it is? I'm trying to attach a pic of it.

Dave E.
06-28-2021, 11:36 AM
See: http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/n.sipedon.html

Eric F
06-28-2021, 11:58 AM
That site says to report sightings if not in Placer county. I can't be the first person to notice these, I saw at least 6 of them and wasn't even looking for them. Is there really value to reporting these? I can't see an obvious way to do so on the various pages I clicked through.

Fishtopher
06-28-2021, 01:57 PM
See: http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/n.sipedon.html

More likely a Pacific Gopher Snake. Super common snake that is found throughout the Sierras.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/p.c.catenifer.html

Water snakes (Nerodia) wouldn't survive winters in the mountains.

Jake O
06-29-2021, 03:08 PM
Looks like a Garter Snake

geedavell
07-08-2021, 10:12 PM
I know this is an old post but I may be visiting a friend in Gardnerville, NV and was hoping to take a fly rod. (I'm pretty new to fly fishing)
It appears that this Hangman Bridge is not too far from Gardnerville? Where is the airport that people mention? What would be the lowest flows to fish this river?

Fly Guy Dave
07-09-2021, 05:29 AM
Gardnerville is about 20-25 minutes away from the Hangman's Bridge. Plenty of places to park there and easy to walk downstream. The Airport is the Alpine County airport, which is little more than a small runway and a windsock. There is a trail that goes down to the river near there, but it is not easy to find or get there unless you have a 4WD.

If you are going to fish the EC I would suggest you hit it early in the day and take a thermometer along with you. When the water reaches 65-68, STOP fishing. The EC warms up a lot in the summer and with these low flows due to the lack of snow, it is going to happen even earlier in the day. Water that is too warm can be fatal to the trout, even if C&R properly. Something to consider.

--F.G. Dave

Tahoetrout
07-09-2021, 06:24 AM
Heavy rains this past week resulted in mud slides in the burn areas and the river was still darkly stained on 7/9. Wouldn't waste my time until it clears up!

geedavell
07-09-2021, 01:16 PM
Gardnerville is about 20-25 minutes away from the Hangman's Bridge. Plenty of places to park there and easy to walk downstream. The Airport is the Alpine County airport, which is little more than a small runway and a windsock. There is a trail that goes down to the river near there, but it is not easy to find or get there unless you have a 4WD.

If you are going to fish the EC I would suggest you hit it early in the day and take a thermometer along with you. When the water reaches 65-68, STOP fishing. The EC warms up a lot in the summer and with these low flows due to the lack of snow, it is going to happen even earlier in the day. Water that is too warm can be fatal to the trout, even if C&R properly. Something to consider.

--F.G. Dave
Would it be better to fish farther north near Gardnerville? Cooler water?

Fly Guy Dave
07-09-2021, 01:33 PM
Would it be better to fish farther north near Gardnerville? Cooler water?

The EC starts in CA and eventually flows into NV. It flows more or less north east and when it gets close to Gardnerville it flows north. The water there would be even warmer than the stretch near the Hangman's Bridge, as it is even further downstream. Also, a previous post said that the river is currently off color, which is does quite a bit in the summer, due to thunderstorms. When it does that, I would look elsewhere, as the fishing is really tough when the water looks like chocolate milk. Perhaps check out the West Fork of the Carson in Hope Valley. It is a bit closer, heavily stocked with trout, less prone to going off color, but it has a lot more fishing pressure than the EC.

geedavell
07-09-2021, 06:42 PM
The EC starts in CA and eventually flows into NV. It flows more or less north east and when it gets close to Gardnerville it flows north. The water there would be even warmer than the stretch near the Hangman's Bridge, as it is even further downstream. Also, a previous post said that the river is currently off color, which is does quite a bit in the summer, due to thunderstorms. When it does that, I would look elsewhere, as the fishing is really tough when the water looks like chocolate milk. Perhaps check out the West Fork of the Carson in Hope Valley. It is a bit closer, heavily stocked with trout, less prone to going off color, but it has a lot more fishing pressure than the EC.

Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Ed Wahl
07-09-2021, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

gedavell, forget the Carson. All's not lost though. Just head east up any pass and fish near the top. Any little creek you come to. The fish won't be big but they will be beautiful. And healthy. Just be sneaky and you'll figure it out. Spot your fish/spot, sneak into a casting position where you can hit it. Hit it. Dries are all you need.
Ed

Ed Wahl
07-09-2021, 07:45 PM
Looks like a Garter Snake

I'm with Jake O here. Why's everyone freaking out?

geedavell
07-10-2021, 09:24 PM
gedavell, forget the Carson. All's not lost though. Just head east up any pass and fish near the top. Any little creek you come to. The fish won't be big but they will be beautiful. And healthy. Just be sneaky and you'll figure it out. Spot your fish/spot, sneak into a casting position where you can hit it. Hit it. Dries are all you need.
Ed

Any word on how the Truckee River is right now? I will be staying in Gardnerville. It looks like that about an hour away?

JayDubP
07-11-2021, 09:21 AM
Any word on how the Truckee River is right now? I will be staying in Gardnerville. It looks like that about an hour away?

Truckee is too hot by 9am plus almost certain that any fish you C &R will die. Record heat and now fires north of Truckee/Reno make N California good place to avoid.

I'd follow Ed Whal's advice and go up.

Check on weather and fishing conditions in Mammoth area. Maybe Crowley Lake? Wherever you go, consider being off the water by 9-10am. Evenings are not good since hottest part of day in this area is 4-7pm.